Proudly supports terrible french cars
Car(s)
Cactus and Panda Classic
Facts:
Priced at $249 for wifi, $299 for 3G
Euros 249 and 299.
?229 and ?279.
Out at Q3.

Not confirmed, but believed to be Region free.

5805867126_929c94209e_z.jpg

The device includes two analog sticks, a 5 inch OLED multi-touch capacitive touchscreen, 3G, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi support. Internally, the device features a 4 core ARM Cortex-A9 core processor and a 4 core SGX543MP4+ graphics processing unit as well as LiveArea as its main user interface, which succeeds the XrossMediaBar for the PlayStation Portable.

[video=youtube;Ni--QnZkRnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni--QnZkRnw[/video]

Software for the PlayStation Vita will be distributed on NVG Cards, a new proprietary flash card format, rather than on Universal Media Discs (UMDs) used by the original PlayStation Portable. NVG game cards will be available in 2 GB and 4 GB sizes. 5 ? 10% of the writeable space will be reserved for save data, patches, etc. Higher-capacity game cards are planned to be made available for future releases.

Ridiculous proprietary memory cards, what about those of us who bought Memory Sticks for the PSP? The internal storage seems to have disappeared.

memorycard.jpg

cardcase.jpg

original.jpg

We still don't know if the half the ram story is true.
Reports say it's lighter than you think and "kinda flimsy"

Games:

A touch gestured Uncharted is wrong, but non of the touch stuff is mandatory.

I prefer the XMB and I don't know if I'm on board yet, we all got burnt by the PSP. the wifi is the one i'd go for because i have tethering.

Really don't wanna admit this, but I bought my PSP as a forced bundle for ?265.

proprietary memory cards suck, but thats standard sony playing standard sony games. I suppose they have to at least try to protect the content somehow and keep us paying ?40 for a game. Though to be honest that looks like an SD card in a new frock.

Impressed with the system though. I bought a PSP and loved it, so Ill probably love this too.... but i dont have lots of time for playing games any more and an iPad is much better proposition for anything other than gaming. The hardware does astound me though and the level of the graphics... I mean thats PS3 level looking right there, in the palm of your hand. Progress.

Ridiculous proprietary memory cards, what about those of us who bought Memory Sticks for the PSP? The internal storage seems to have disappeared.
It's anti-fanboy screaming, but this is a shocking development: Sony creating a proprietary format. They ditch one proprietary format that bombed in favor of another one that will be equally useless, since it will only be used for the Vita.

looks awesome but I won't be buying one until there is a GTA game for it.

So PSV? NGP sounded kinda cooler :p Still its a very impressive device. Although I wonder how the meeting for the controls went
"So what do you think we should add for the next PSP?"
"How about a touch screen?"
"Don't forget the second analog stick!"
"And Tilt Controls."
"Why not a touch screen on the back while we are at it?"

looks awesome but I won't be buying one until there is a GTA game for it.

Oh yeah! Can't wait to see what Rockstar will do with one of these.

I prefer the XMB and I don't know if I'm on board yet

Hmm... Looking at a video on Youtube.... Looks messy...

Stupid name. Stupid memory card (SONY ALREADY HAS A PROPRIETARY MEMORY FORMAT).

When can I get one

And whoever mentioned iPad, this is less than half the price and is a completely different kind of device. It was a really good move to launch this at $250, matches the 3DS and same as the original model. Actually, it's more like it was a bad move on Nintendo's part to make the 3DS more expensive, part of the DS' success and the PSP's relative failure was the price point.

I have to agree with thevictor about the name and the card bit. That's just how Sony is of course. I still am interested in buying one though since I do own a PSP and I liked some of the games for it. And being $250 for the Wifi model would be affordable.

It would make a good companion handheld for my 3DS. xD

But I'm hoping for less reliability on remakes and ports like what ended up happening here in the US. There were some FABULOUS games for it in Japan and it was ridiculous that we didn't get some of them. Maybe, just maybe, the PSVita will get some more original games. (Plus, LittleBigPlanet looks interesting for it.)

They posted this FAQ on their site last week.

PlayStation Vita (previously Next Generation Portable (NGP)

Question: When will PS Vita be available?
Answer: There will be a phased roll out from the end of the year 2011 throughout all the SCE regions.

Q: How much will PS Vita cost?
A: It will cost $249 USD for the Wi-Fi version and $299 USD for the 3G version available through AT&T stores.

Q: What is the official name?
A: The official name will be PlayStation Vita (PS Vita). "Vita," which means "Life" in Latin, was chosen as the name for our next-generation portable entertainment system because it enables a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context.

Q: PS Vita supports 3G network connectivity, does this mean PS Vita will be sold through cell-phone providers?
A: Partnering with AT&T, which powers the nation?s fastest mobile broadband network, who will serve as the exclusive service provider for PS Vita in the United States. By having both Wi-Fi and 3G/Wi-Fi models available, PS Vita will enable infinite possibilities for you to "encounter," "connect," "discover," "share" and "play" with your friends wherever they are.

Q: Do all PS Vita users have to sign up with a cell phone provider?
A: No. Users can enjoy PS Vita using only Wi-Fi.

Q: How do you buy PS Vita games?
A: You can download PS Vita games and other content from PlayStation Store to a storage media via the Internet or buy the new game medium at retailers.

Q: What game format will the PS Vita use?
A: PS Vita will utilize the new game medium.

Q: Will users be able to access PlayStation Store from both 3G and Wi-Fi?
A: PlayStation Store will be able to be accessed from both 3G and Wi-Fi.

Q: Which carrier will users need to subscribe to use the 3G networks?
A: Partnering with AT&T, which powers the nation?s fastest mobile broadband network, who will serve as the exclusive service provider for PS Vita in the United States.

Q: Can you use PS Vita as a phone?
A: No.

Q: What are the specs of the OLED screen?
A: 5 inches (16:9), 960x544 pixels, Approx. 16,770,000 colors displayed

Q: What colors will be available at launch?
A: This will be announced at a later time. :cool:

Q: Does the PS Vita support Bluetooth headsets / headphones?
A: Commercially available Bluetooth headsets will work, however, it may function differently depending on the device specifications.

Q: Can you use a commercially available Bluetooth keyboard / mouse? Can you connect the PS3 wireless controller to the PS Vita like the PSPgo?
A: No. Users cannot use commercially available Bluetooth keyboard / mouse or a PS3 wireless controller on the PS Vita.

Q: Can you access the Internet by connecting PS Vita to a Bluetooth supported cell phone?
A: No.

Q: Why didn't you introduce stereoscopic 3D (without glasses) to PS Vita?
A: In the development process, we studied the possibility of introducing stereoscopic 3D feature to PS Vita, but decided not to install it. After careful consideration of our goal of offering users the ultimate portable entertainment experience with revolutionary user interface, we have decided to focus on the features and spec announced first.

Q: Does PS Vita have internal memory?
A: PS Vita is equipped with the storage media slot so that users can choose what memory capacity they want to utilize depending on their use.

Q: What is "Near"?
A: Near is a core PS Vita feature composed of location-based services, that utilize PlayStation Network. Near, developed specifically for this service and the network , will be pre-installed in the system to let users find out what their friends in the vicinity are playing now or what they were playing recently. Users can meet their friends and new players virtually, regardless of what games they are playing, simply by sharing their game information across different dimensions of time and distance.

Q: Do you need 3G network connection to enjoy Near?
A: Users can enjoy Near using Wi-Fi, but to enjoy further what Near offers, 3G connection is preferred. Users will be able to obtain more information and encounter new players in real time by using 3G connection.

Q: What is "LiveArea"?
A: Every game title for PS Vita will be provided with a space called "LiveArea?" where users can share the fun and excitement with other players. Users will have access to the latest information of games provided from SCE and 3rd party developers and publishers through PlayStation Network. Additionally, PS Vita users will be able to view "Activity" log that is constantly updated with accomplishments from users who are playing the same game, which in turn can trigger active real-time communication among users.

Q: Will existing services like Remote Play, Skype, SenseMe, and Comic content for PSP be available for PS Vita as well?
A: We are evaluating the opportunity to offer non-gaming applications/content and will announce details at a later time.

Q: Will Youtube, Flash content and files like PDF be viewable on PS Vita?
A: We are evaluating the opportunity to offer non-gaming applications/content and will announce details at a later time.

Q: What is the difference between the PSP system and the PS Vita in terms of hardware specs?
A:Advanced portable entertainment system

A high performance CPU / GPU combined with OLED enables rich, visually striking graphics never seen before on a portable entertainment system. PS Vita also adopts the Super Oval Design form factor, which fits comfortably in users' hands.Revolutionary User Interface
A unique multi-touch pad on the rear, with the front touch display. Two cameras on it's front and rear, as well as three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer, and electronic compass.LiveArea?
Every game title for PS Vita will be provided with a space called "LiveArea?" where users can share the fun and excitement with other players.Location-based services
SCE will provide location-based services on PS Vita as part of the basic features utilizing PlayStation Network. The new application called "Near," developed specifically for this service and the network, will be pre-installed in the system.Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity
PS Vita is equipped with 3G in addition to Wi-Fi.Closely coordinated with PlayStation Suite
The newly developed and released game content for Android based portable devices can also be enjoyed on PS Vita.

Q: There are two slots on the PS Vita, what are they for?
A: One is for the new game medium, the other is for storage media to be utilized for personal content and download content.

Q: What kind of game medium will PS Vita support? What is the official name? Why did you decide to introduce it?
A: It is a small flash memory based card, dedicated for PS Vita. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store add-on game content or the game save directly on the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich, immersive games. We will announce the official name at a later date.

Q: What type of storage media will PS Vita support?
A: This will be announced at a later date.

Q: What are the features of the new game medium / storage media?
A: New game medium

It can not only store the full software titles but also save data as well as additional game content data. Therefore, the game title can be concluded with one piece of card.
Users can play games by just inserting the game medium into PS Vita. (a separate storage media is not required.)
As for storage media, we will announce details at a later date.

Q: How many software titles will be available at launch (in the new game medium/download for each region)?
A: We will announce details at a later date.

Q: What will software pricing look like?

Q: If you buy download content for PS Vita, up to how many systems can you copy it to?

Q: Is PS Vita compatible with other PlayStation platform games like PS3, PS2, or PSP? Do you have any plan to support other PlayStation platforms in the future?
A: Users can play PSP titles, minis and PSone classics titles which are offered on PS Store. We do no have any plans to make PS Vita compatible with PS3 or PS2 titles at this point.

Q: Is PS Vita compatible with PSP content other than games such as video and comics available on PlayStation Store?
A: SCE plans to make those content available on PS Vita.

Q: Can PS Vita users continue using their save data for PSP games that they have also downloaded from PlayStation Store to PS Vita?
A: We are looking into the opportunity to do so.

Q: PS Vita doesn't support UMD but do you have any plan to introduce peripherals like "UMD readers" for PS Vita?
A: We do not have plans to introduce such peripherals at this point in time.

Q: I have UMD games but do I need to buy them again from PlayStation Store to play the same game on PS Vita?
A: We will consider every possibility for support on bought UMD games but we have nothing to comment at this point in time.

Q: Will you bring all UMD games to the new game medium or on the PlayStation Store for PS Vita?
A: SCE with the support of third party developers and publishers have been offering select UMD titles on PlayStation Store and will continue our effort to deliver these content in the form of game medium for PS Vita going forward. However, we will need to clear all copyright / legal related issues and due to this not all software titles will become available on PS Vita. We will announce details for each title when ready.

Q: Will PS Vita support all content that will become available on PlayStation Suite?
A: PS Suite content developed in the new game development environment provided for PS Suite can be enjoyed on PS Vita.

Q: Are PSP/PS3 user's PSN accounts also available on PS Vita?
A: The same PSN accounts will be available on PS Vita.

Q: Do you have any plans to introduce a video output cable? Will PS Vita have HDMI output?
A: No, PS Vita does not have a video output feature.

Q: Can you take out the battery from the system?
A: No. We have adopted embedded battery since PS Vita is equipped with a rear touch pad.

So we have lost the internal storage, not surprising.
Surprised they didn't say black only at launch, lets assume a white too. :p
Who or why did someone ask about PDF's? :lol:
UMD readers? :mrgreen:
They Vita's they have now all have a developers (proprietary?) HDMI socket on the bottom, they're taking that from us too. Thats why all the footage you've seen has been over the shoulder stuff.

slots.jpg

Last edited:
non-replaceable battery... I hope that means not supported but still possible. The rest was pretty much as expected.

Obvious...

PlayStation Vita Launch Pushed to 2012 for North America and Europe
Japan will still see a launch in 2011, but NA and Europe will miss the all-important holiday window.

"Hirai chalked up the change in schedule to a desire to have solid launch games lined up for the respective regional launches."

?"We packed so much into the device and made it very affordable," Hirai told reporters at Sony's Tokyo headquarters. "There is no need to lower the price just because somebody else that happens to be in the video game business decided that they were going to lower their price."

I love the fact they won't even say the word Nintendo.

Last edited:
$249 for that spec is not a bad deal. I'm interested to see what games will be on it, if they ported GT5 to it with a save system that can be sync'd to the PS3, I would definitely buy it. The graphics looks slightly worse than PS3, which is really good for a handheld.

Main memory 512MB
VRAM 128MB

So, they didn't cut the ram. :cool:

TOKYO, Aug. 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that it will introduce dedicated applications for Facebook, foursquare, Skype? and Twitter*1 to PlayStation?Vita (PS Vita) which will launch in Japan by the end of 2011, followed by the U.S. and Europe early next year*2.

PS Vita users will not only be able to enjoy the immersive rich gaming content but through the addition of these social networking services and communications widely used around the globe will also have an easy access and greater opportunity to enjoy communicating with friends by simply selecting the dedicated application. PS Vita, as the next generation portable entertainment system, will deliver an unrivaled entertainment experience, through close collaboration with various social networking services and communications.

The applications will be downloadable to PS Vita directly from PlayStation?Store at no charge. Users will be able to activate the application just by selecting the icon which will appear on the PS Vita home screen and enjoy easy navigation using the touch screen. Also, PS Vita's beautiful 5-inch organic light emitting diode (OLED) screen will allow users to enjoy photos and movies shared with their friends and acquaintances via Internet in visually striking graphics. Service profiles of each service are as follows:

?Facebook - Facebook is a social utility that helps people communicate more efficiently with their friends, family and coworkers. The company develops technologies that facilitate the sharing of information through the social graph, the digital mapping of people's real-world social connections. Anyone can sign up for Facebook and interact with the people they know in a trusted environment. Over 750 million active users visit Facebook each month.

?Foursquare - foursquare is a location-based service that helps users explore the world around them. Using PS Vita, users can "check in" at the locations they visit to meet up with friends, and share information about places. Users can also collect virtual badges for exploring new places, and can earn points to compete against friends.

?Skype - Skype is software which enables people to communicate with others around the world using Internet-connected devices. Skype has more than 170 million average monthly connected users (for the three months ended June 30, 2011). Users of PS Vita will be able to use Skype to make free calls to others on Skype, as well as low-cost calls to landlines and mobiles virtually anywhere in the world.

?Twitter - Twitter instantly connects people everywhere to what's most meaningful to them. At the heart of Twitter are short messages called Tweets, which are 140 characters or less in length. Users can follow celebrities, friends or other people they find interesting to discover what's happening around the world.

SCE will vigorously promote PS Vita towards the launch as the next generation portable entertainment platform and work towards expanding the portable gaming market.

*1 Services in alphabetical order.

*2 Details of the application's launch timing will be announced at a later timing.

PlayStation?Vita Product Outline

Platform Name PlayStation?Vita
Model number PCH-1000 series
CPU ARM? Cortex?-A9 core (4 core)
GPU SGX543MP4+
External Dimensions Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Screen (Touch screen) 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
Multi touch screen (capacitive type)

Main memory 512MB
VRAM 128MB

Rear touch pad Multi touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras Front camera, Rear camera
Frame rate : 120fps@320x240(QVGA), 60fps@640x480(VGA)
Resolution : Up to 640x480(VGA)

Sound Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone

Sensors Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass

Location Built-in GPS (3G/Wi-Fi model only)
Wi-Fi location service support

Keys / Switches
PS button
Power button
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
Right stick, Left stick
START button, SELECT button
Volume buttons (+/-)

Wireless communications
Mobile network connectivity (3G/Wi-Fi model only)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth? 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

Slots/Ports
PlayStation?Vita card slot
Memory card slot
SIM card slot (3G/Wi-Fi model only)
Multi-use port (for USB data communication, DC IN, Audio (Stereo Out / Mono In), Serial data communication),
Headset jack (Stereo mini jack) (for Audio (Stereo Out / Mono In))
Accessory port

Power
Built-In Lithium-ion Battery,
AC adaptor

Supported AV content

Music-- MP3 MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3, MP4 (MPEG-4 AAC), WAVE (Linear PCM)
Videos -- MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High/Main/Baseline Profile (AAC)
Photos -- JPEG (Exif 2.2.1), TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG

Linky

That doesn't seem like much at first, but for reference, it's 16x the amount of RAM in a PSP and 2x a PS3.

I don't know how handhelds work, but could the VRAM come from the main ram?

I don't know how handhelds work, but could the VRAM come from the main ram?

It certainly could be shared, but if it was, I think it would be indicated in the specs. The PSP had them separate, as well as every Sony console.

Apparently they announced the world at TGS.

Japanese release December 17th.
Confirmed region free.
Japanese 3G model has a pay-as-you-go connection, not contract.
Remote play for some PS3 games, Killzone 3.
Has proprietory USB connector.

Memory cards:
Though US and European pricing remains up in the air, these suckers are going to set you back in Japan. Prices range from 2,200 yen (about $29 for a 4GB card) to 9,500 yen (about $145 for a 32GB card). On top of that, the Vita doesn't come with a memory card.

Battery life:
The release estimates approximate gaming time on Vita to be between 3 and 5 hours; watching videos will get you about 5 hours; and listening to music in standby mode will go for about 9 hours. It's important to note these figures are based on the screen brightness being at the default setting with headphones plugged in and Bluetooth off. The game-playing figure is for when you're not playing online; 3G or Wi-Fi usage could drag any of these figures down even further.

Fortunately, it's estimated that it will only take 2 hours and 40 minutes to fully charge from an empty battery with an AC adapter. I say "fortunately" because that's almost an hour better than the 3DS, which takes about 3 hours and 30 minutes to fully charge. That system is often criticized for its battery; it, too, provides only about 3-5 hours of gameplay.

These colours won't happen, but nice to see them.
Massive game boxes.

vitaaccecolor-2011-09-16-13.jpg

vitaaccecolor-2011-09-16-4.jpg

vitaaccecolor-2011-09-16-7.jpg

vitaaccecolor-2011-09-16-1.jpg

media

The keynote was obviously in Japanese and then translated on the fly, i'll just post a few trailers.
AR fighting game looks kinda cool.

In other news. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

tgs-the-3ds-slide-pad-expansion-isnt-ridiculous-20110915035944589-000.jpg

tgs-the-3ds-slide-pad-expansion-isnt-ridiculous-20110915035944998-000.jpg

tgs-the-3ds-slide-pad-expansion-isnt-ridiculous-20110915035943650-000.jpg

tgs-the-3ds-slide-pad-expansion-isnt-ridiculous-20110915041026779-000.jpg

tgs-the-3ds-slide-pad-expansion-isnt-ridiculous-20110915035942763-000.jpg

tgs-the-3ds-slide-pad-expansion-isnt-ridiculous-20110915035944088-000.jpg

Last edited:
It looks so cumbersome, I couldn't see myself lugging it around with me all day. Not to mention Vita makes me think of Vitamin Water.

It looks so cumbersome, I couldn't see myself lugging it around with me all day.

My PSP was a home console, I used it twice on a train. But that was before my phone and tablet. I do love a Playstation product, but I'll need to see what the launch games are like. Should be 30 available at launch. I don't want another porting device. I want unique games... And fuck Uncharted.

Speaking of my PSP, I sold it last month on Ebay for ?60 with no games. :lol: (fat)

Highly exciting, box confirmed. <_<

vitabox.jpg

Launch apps.

6197565951_54845db6b2.jpg

Welcome Park - Mini-games to get you to know the Vita

6198084146_992c3258d0.jpg

Party - Assemble a group of eight people to text, voice and cross-game chat with

6198084800_e92cb0c3df.jpg

PlayStation Store - Buy things for money

6198084374_b6e95449f3.jpg

Group Messaging - Send updates, pictures to friends

6197565345_bffe65681f.jpg

Photos - Photo taker and viewer

6198084188_e266f3336b.jpg

Near - Location-based social tool

6198084766_2b319e65aa.jpg

Trophies - What you've earned

6198084334_1dd5ecfaa4.jpg

Music - Music player