Look at this! LED rims!

klutch said:
Wow....is anyone else thinking of the marketing possibilities of these?

the people who put the coca cola advert in them on the film probably have :lol:

I heard the LED thing and I thought.. ok this could be weird. I had the thought of it like some of the others here.. it would be neat for awhile. However, being able to display images like that never even crossed my mind. That is impressive.

I would personally make it display DIFFERENT wheels.. the wheels would appear stationary.. you could just swap out the design whenever you wants :p

Vette Boss said:
As if distracting people with your huge fart-can exhaust system and loud music isn't enough, now we get to be annoyed by the graphics on your wheels. Just lovely. :thumbsdown:

x2
Worst idea I've seen in ages.

Depends on the application. Maybe a vehicle that is used for promotional purposes can find great use for it.

Just like the hubcaps on taxis that are counter-wieghted to stop them spinning, so you can place ads on them.

Real real classy. :thumbsdown:

Magnet said:
Just like the hubcaps on taxis that are counter-wieghted to stop them spinning, so you can place ads on them.

Real real classy. :thumbsdown:

That was my first thought too

Promotional puposes? The only thing these are going to promote is the fact that the owner has no taste...

I'm actually a little curious as to the ways you could expand this technology. Imagine instead of three lines of LEDs, you have three LED panels (I suppose it could even be LCD, OLED or SED, but regular LEDs might be lighter) stood vertically and at 120? from each other (so the top view would be like the letter "Y").

Start it spinning and you could have a true 3D display. :think:

I remember hearing about attempts at doing what I described, but they were with a projector shining onto a fan. If the blades could be vertical, a similarly sized display would be lighter, and with LEDs it wouldn't need the projector. I imagine CAD studios would love a display like this, since it would allow them to fully visualize a model without having to build it out of clay or styrofoam first (and you wouldn't have to refill it, like a fast-prototyping machine). I don't think it would be good enough for movies or games though, since you can still see farther with a 2D plane than with a 3D cylinder (you see "into" the plane, so you can see the background, etc., whereas you can't see anything outside the cylinder in the 3D display).

Disclaimer: If it seemed like I rambled a lot in this post, it's because ideas were coming to me as a typed them! :lol:

Officially, we hit a new down...

horray for ricers!

that is seriously fugly

Interesting, but I could not see it as something for daily life. Adverting taken to the overkill level. And what a outrageous price. :thumbsdown:

Hey, people will buy anything, no matter how ridiculous simply to be different. I mean, next we will see rims with goldfish in them swimming around.

those would surely be illegal in Malta... even neon underglow is illegal here :dunno:

Magnet said:
Hey, people will buy anything, no matter how ridiculous simply to be different. I mean, next we will see rims with goldfish in them swimming around.

Two words: brake heat. Might as well pop some salt and pepper in there, so that the soup will come out nice and flavorful. The George Foreman Rim though... put any food in there, and at the end of the trip it'll be cooked! Cooks faster with more vigorous driving.

Labcoatguy said:
Magnet said:

Two words: brake heat. Might as well pop some salt and pepper in there, so that the soup will come out nice and flavorful. The George Foreman Rim though... put any food in there, and at the end of the trip it'll be cooked! Cooks faster with more vigorous driving.

2004-10-16_150957_27219_1.jpg

Simpsons did it.

/I know it's a fake fish...but in the 70s, they weren't.

Labcoatguy said:
Magnet said:

You don't need vigorous driving, just set the emergency brake on three clicks! :p

There was a Red Green Christmas special where he cooked mashed potatoes in the hubcaps, along with the rest of the turkey dinner in various other parts of the car. :lol:

Sorry, I didn't think that the suggestion would actually be taken seriously. :lol:

Look at my sig. Already been done.....

And they're probably illegal just like neon under the car. Americans are already stupid / distracted drivers, this is the last thing they need. Look how many accidents happen just from rubbernecking an accident scene.