Official World Cup 2006 Thread?

Ghana's first victory in a World Cup, first African team to win in '04....how do they celebrate their goal?

By waving an Israeli flag?!? I noticed it when I watched the highlights on ESPN.... :bangin:

http://img235.imageshack.**/img235/4826/40212341158vo.jpg

RoamingGnome said:
chaos386 said:
ABC's coverage of the game was poor as well. When they were showing it on ESPN, the announcers at least knew the game.
They're from the same pool.
chaos386 said:
kept on complaining that giving yellow/red cards was "ruining the game."
Because it was. Undeniably.
chaos386 said:
They also kept on blocking the bottom half of the screen during the match to display some stupid "vote for your man of the match" thing, and to top it all off they cut away from the match during the 83rd minute to show a panning shot of Times Square! :?
ESPN does exactly the same thing, obviously you never watched it there.

They show each game, live, commercial free (gasp), with for the most part an ok commentary. Seriously be grateful and STFU ;)
Relax, dude. I was just ranting. ;)

I suppose I'm a bit spoiled. The last world cup I watched in Switzerland, and they never let anything get in the way of the game.

I'm not overly fond of the ESPN/ABC coverage either. BBC streams events on their website, but only to UKers. All that is needed is a Brit proxy... :twisted:

I'm sorry for all Iranians in the world, it wasn't our time, we had bad luck, bad mistakes, with an excellent qualifying record we were a over-confident. Well 4 more years...

let's see if we can atleast get a win to add to our world cup stats.

pfrocker said:
I'm sorry for all Iranians in the world, it wasn't our time, we had bad luck, bad mistakes, with an excellent qualifying record we were a over-confident. Well 4 more years...

let's see if we can atleast get a win to add to our world cup stats.
Iran played great against Portugal, to be honest.

Against Mexico... :thumbsdown:

eMKay said:
ESPNSTI said:
eMKay said:
And the Italian team is a bunch of cheating pussies. How many offsides did they have? 12? 15? You only have that many when it's your tactic to keep doing it intentionally to see if you can get away with one. And the dives...OMG! I mean, I know they are not the best team in the world, but to resort to that crap. What a bunch of losers. Is that how they always play in Italy when faced with a clearly better team?
What on earth are you smoking? :?
Italy played fair. I don't see how you could call being offsides as cheating, and I counted maybe one over the top dive on Italy's part.

It's cheating when you consistently do it to try and gain advantage, I didn't see any missed offsides calls and that's why they didn't score on any of them, they were all called. the total was 11-1 BTW. These are supposed to be the best players in the world, they kbow how to stay onsides, I know how to stay onsides and I'm a 3rd rate keeper!

lol always getting offsides not cheating and part of the game. The attacking team will always stand on the last defender so when the ball comes his way he can run at it. the defenders however will try and play the offside rule so the palyer doesnt get anywhere. always getting offsides isnt cheating.

I can't belive what happened yesterday! That was HORRIBLe football by us. But if I look at it like neutral fan, is our group very interesting to watch now :D. I rally hoper that we will crash the Italians. Yesterday were the planets rally bad placed or what... :oops:

Tonight - Aus vs Brazil. For us Aussies, the telecast time is between 1:30 and 4:30 in the morning which is lovely :sleep: :roll:

But everyone I know is staying up for it, including me, and I don't care much for soccer.

Its a tall order for Aus to beat the champs Brazil but its best for them if they go in with the attitude - "We're not going to win, but lets give it our best shot!". Either way...the entire nation will be watching thats for sure. We love our sports downunder!!

Glad I live in the West Coast of the USA. All the games start at 6am in the morning till @bout 3pm in the afternoon. It's hard to miss a game unless you cant wake up for one. :D

Games times on the east coast are 9am, 12pm, and 3pm.

I'm trying to get the feed for japan/croatia, but it's down now. :thumbsdown:

so far its 0-0 for croatia-japan....about Brazil- Austaralia...its hard to judge.. i would bet on a 3-1 to Brazil....but you never know..Australia are playng well.

The bar has been set by Spain (4-0) and Argentina (6-0). If Brazil can't produce a similar result. i'm gonna say that they are less likely to win the tournament this year.

Does that make any sense? Probably not, but in my mind it does :lol:

I really think Brazil has enough talent to win matches by 10 goals. It's just that they know this, so they don't play to their best ability for the entire game. Maybe it's too avoid injury, I dunno. They just allow for a few moments of brilliance from some key players.

Firecat said:
The bar has been set by Spain (4-0) and Argentina (6-0). If Brazil can't produce a similar result. i'm gonna say that they are less likely to win the tournament this year.

Does that make any sense? Probably not, but in my mind it does :lol:

I really think Brazil has enough talent to win matches by 10 goals. It's just that they know this, so they don't play to their best ability for the entire game. Maybe it's too avoid injury, I dunno. They just allow for a few moments of brilliance from some key players.
Theirs a few teams that really arn't playing to their potential. France, England and the Czechs are a few who come to mind.

But the difference, I think, is that the Brazillians are doing it by choice. France tried their best, but couldn't produce.

I'm hoping both teams "wow" me today.

Australia is playing a much better game than Brazil, so far at least. If they bring in Robinho, he might be able to bring some life into the game.

Firecat said:
But the difference, I think, is that the Brazillians are doing it by choice. France tried their best, but couldn't produce.

I'm hoping both teams "wow" me today.
Perhaps from this performance so far, the Brazilians wern't holding much back.