[08x06] July 16th, 2006

re:

re:

Wow sir, you truly are a disgrace to Americans.

Speaking as an American who avidly watches and loves Top Gear, I admit that Clarkson's generalizations of Americans our typically wrong. Our cars are crap though, just admit it. The only American cars worth buying are specifically muscle cars (for that very purpose) and anything you may need to tow a boat with cheaply.

Americans make cheap cars because most Americans cannot tell or do not care about the difference. The average american car is a huge piece of sh*t. But there are some good ones.

I'm an American but I usually buy German. I have an eye for quality and attention to detail and on the whole despise American cars. British cars are very refined but all of them I have ever seen have poor build quality and are a wiring nightmare.

Judging the British by age-old stereotypes makes you just as bad as Clarkson can get for judging all Americans as overweight, burger-eating, SUV-driving morons. Although there are some of those, it's not fair to condemn a whole nation because of some dumb-ass stereotypes.

Watching Top Gear is something any American who considers himself a car-nut should do. Not only is it a FANTASTICALLY produced show, it gives you another perspective. Anything that comes on SPEED channel here (or excuse me, the NASCAR channel) is complete crap. The only good things that come on that channel are F1, some historical documentaries, that show with Alain DeCadenet and WRC. They cover about 1/3 of the WRC they used to when it was SpeedVision.

And I'd say a good 75% of my male friends are fanatic about the World Cup.

Anyway. Enough nonsensical ranting. This was a great show, I laughed my ass (arse :p) off and I don't know if the fire was staged or not, I just hope they stop staging and writing things. They aren't actors, they're road test presenters.

Patrick

WarpSlowPoke said:
The British critique of cars is hilarous in itself as the only Brit cars worth a sht throughout history had AMERICAN engines in them.
MEN worried about interiors over engine power and reliability is a tip to the ingrain femininty of the British male. LOL

The European athletisim comments made my day! LO fckn L
McEnroe Conners Sampras and Agassie have OWNED them at their own sport for eons.
World cup???? Like a single American gives the slightest crap about the World Cup.....LOL why kik the little ball around when you can make MILLIONS playing Baseball, BasketBall, Football or Hockey. Hell, a lowly bench-warmer in these sports make more money than SUPERSTARS in soccer do. LOL( didnt the UK team BLOW it anyway ) LOL

The BMW M6 vs the new Challenger was PRICELESS.LOL
as always JC has to take a car thats 3 TIMES more money to get better performance... the v10 in the M6 is $40,000 mutherfckn THOUSAND dollars,, 12 grand more than the whole Challenger cost!!!
It took the Euros 40 years and millions of pounds to FINALLY get what the average AMerican had,under the hood in the fckn 60s !! and NOW that kind of power is only obtainable by the most affluent Europeans.
When JC starts testing real cars and NOT exclusive,unobtainable supercars, THEN he can talk about American musclecars.
Besides,, the best Brit car is a Nissan LOLOLOLOL and all the great Brit name are AMERICAN now. LOLOL

P.S. Yes! the anti American shit has truely played out..
Its an absolute travesty to know that OUR(my) grand fathers put their VERY LIVES on the line for these ungrateful fcks..
just so they can smoke the proverbial cock of the very Germans and Japs who were trying to KILL THEM....... pffffff.

LoneWolf said:
Me thinks Clarkson made someone very upset. ;)

The kind of people who really need upsetting...

(And I might be British, but at least I can spell Connors and Agassi.)

About the fire being fake, is this definite?

If it was scripted (and I have to admit that a lot of the show obviously is) I would be surprised if the health and safety department would have allowed them all to run around inside a flaming caravan and I doubt they have the budget to fake something like that.

Also, are you allowed to hire a fire engine.

Then again, I think I might just want this to be real because I hate caravans that much :p

WarpSlowPoke said:
Its an absolute travesty to know that OUR(my) grand fathers put their VERY LIVES on the line for these ungrateful fcks..
just so they can smoke the proverbial cock of the very Germans and Japs who were trying to KILL THEM....... pffffff.

So am I correct in assuming that you own nothing created or designed by the Germans or the Japanese. Which includes most electrical appliances on earth?

No playstations in America, thats bad.

eMKay said:
LOL...you might want to get your facts straight before going on a rant, especially this one...

WarpSlowPoke said:
Like a single American gives the slightest crap about the World Cup.....LOL why kik the little ball around when you can make MILLIONS playing Baseball, BasketBall, Football or Hockey. Hell, a lowly bench-warmer in these sports make more money than SUPERSTARS in soccer do. LOL( didnt the UK team BLOW it anyway ) LOL

Makes you look like an idiot.

sounds like your the lone, idiot ...
Ratings for the WC were WORSE than the Olympics and the daily Soap Operas .. LOL

The British critique of cars is hilarous in itself as the only Brit cars worth a sht throughout history had AMERICAN engines in them.
MEN worried about interiors over engine power and reliability is a tip to the ingrain femininty of the British male. LOL

The European athletisim comments made my day! LO fckn L
McEnroe Conners Sampras and Agassie have OWNED them at their own sport for eons.
World cup???? Like a single American gives the slightest crap about the World Cup.....LOL why kik the little ball around when you can make MILLIONS playing Baseball, BasketBall, Football or Hockey. Hell, a lowly bench-warmer in these sports make more money than SUPERSTARS in soccer do. LOL( didnt the UK team BLOW it anyway ) LOL

The BMW M6 vs the new Challenger was PRICELESS.LOL
as always JC has to take a car thats 3 TIMES more money to get better performance... the v10 in the M6 is $40,000 mutherfckn THOUSAND dollars,, 12 grand more than the whole Challenger cost!!!
It took the Euros 40 years and millions of pounds to FINALLY get what the average AMerican had,under the hood in the fckn 60s !! and NOW that kind of power is only obtainable by the most affluent Europeans.
When JC starts testing real cars and NOT exclusive,unobtainable supercars, THEN he can talk about American musclecars.
Besides,, the best Brit car is a Nissan LOLOLOLOL and all the great Brit name are AMERICAN now. LOLOL

Classic. It doesn't get any more American than this, folks.

Ratings for the WC were WORSE than the Olympics and the dayly Soap Operas .. LOL

Well, now it sounds like YOU'RE the idiot, Mr. Double Poster :p

This could go on and on and...

Well this episode was a nice return!

Good to see a Caravan get destroyed on the way, and then go up in flames, let alone two :lol:. Too bad the F1 Toyota couldn't break the triple digits, I bet if there was a second try that they could have at least done that.

The Mondeo segment was so so...but I did pay bit of attention...since I my first car was a Contour (American Mondeo), and I used to be into them a bit. Funny thing that was a reminder, was that the Contour/Mondeo, and the Mazdas made between '97-'00 were all on the same chassis? Just funny to see that the Mazda 6 in the segment was very much being used to it's potential, compare to some others.

And with this arguement going on in here, I hate seeing all this bashing, could you please take it somewhere else?

I bet if there was a second try that they could have at least done that.
It's too bad they didn't try again. Typically, they would have had at least one more go, and would have fiddled with settings (traction control, ABS, etc.) to get it as high as they can.

didn't like the episode, it was a bit disappointing. and the news wasn't very good, didn't like that challenger arguement :thumbsdown: too scripted.
BUT, they destoyed not one, but TWO caravans!!! well done TG :D

WarpSlowPoke said:
eMKay said:
LOL...you might want to get your facts straight before going on a rant, especially this one...

WarpSlowPoke said:
Like a single American gives the slightest crap about the World Cup.....LOL why kik the little ball around when you can make MILLIONS playing Baseball, BasketBall, Football or Hockey. Hell, a lowly bench-warmer in these sports make more money than SUPERSTARS in soccer do. LOL( didnt the UK team BLOW it anyway ) LOL

Makes you look like an idiot.

Ratings for the WC were WORSE than the Olympics and the daily Soap Operas .. LOL

First of all, I was talking about the salaries, second I was interested in the world cup, and I'm an American. So yeah...check your facts idiot.

WarpSlowPoke said:

I know this is a little off topic, but this annoys the hell out of me. You did fuck all mate, your grand father, who is not you, did something. Not you.

I have as much right to say, as it was my great great great . . . great grand father who colonised America, then in theory, all your cars are actualy made by us anyway.

Afterall, my great great great . . . great grand father risked his life colonising America you know.

epp_b said:
Classic. It doesn't get any more American than this, folks.

I wouldn't put much faith or waste too much time on this poster, by his rant he can't be more than 13 or 14 years old, and who cares about the opinion of a child on adult subjects?

Your right, not when there are more caravans to burn :)

PieceOfTat said:
Being on the road to the campsite was the only non-staged part of the whole caravanning thing.

A rather dull episode. I hope topgear can find it's roots again, cause the last few episodes felt rushed and TOO staged. With every ep I watch, my interest in the series keeps getting smaller.

With the lcurrent season I wait till the episode ends and feel let down, whereas I didnt want the old ones to end at all.

The whole F1 thing, I mean come on.......... They better tie the knots and dot the i's for the next series..... This is a rushjob.

X2 :lol:

WarpSlowPoke said:

[Topgear jingle coming up]
On tonight's show:

We play darts with WarpSlowPoke, a nun drives a monstertruck OVER WarpSlowPoke.

And I drive a Land Rover Discovery up WarpSlowPoke('s ass).

[Topgear jingle fading]
.........wanker...........

ontopic: The only thing in yesterday's ep, which gave my the good ol' TG feeling was the saloon review. I already ventilated my opinion on all the other stuff, which felt rushed and bland.

edit:lol RichW quoted me :lol: Talk about good timing!!
edit 2: Poor spelling, fixed.

Just too fake...

Just too fake...

Just watched the ep and had to come on here because i wanted to see if other people felt that was way too staged with the caravans. Obviously some people do. There is no way anyone working for the show would have allowed them back in the camper while the fire was going, nor would any camera person go in the camper if it still had the propane tanks hooked up. They showed what would happen if complete idiots went on a caravan trip, but all of their problems could easily have been avoided.

And one other thing bothered me, Clarksons rant about how europeans are the best at everything now. How many coutries is he grouping together there? Does he feel like Polish and Czech cars are some of the greatest in the world too? Sure alot of technology in american cars is outdated, but they are always comparing them to more expensive cars, then they talk about how its alot of power for the money. Also, which country is ford headquartered in? They seem to like the mondeo, the focus and possibly the Ka (not sure on that one anymore been awhile since they reviewed it). I should point out I am a proud Canadian, not a fan of american cars, but i worry some people take everything clarkson says as the gospel. Its a tv show made to make money by playing to British audiences. Lets hope they get back to doing what caused me to become addicted to this show in the first place, reminding me how great cars can be.

Haha, it makes me laugh that people take Clarkson's rants seriously. I'm sure he'd get a chuckle out of it too. :lol:

Re: The Stig

Re: The Stig

Boom UK said:
Has anybody noticed you can see the STIG unmasked at the back of the Excel Centre, when they are finding out how fast the Toyota F1 Car will go indoors. Approx 42 mins into the programme, just after they flash up the computer screen showing the telemetry, the camera pans round and at the back talking to one of the engineers, is a man in white racing overalls and there is a white helmet with a black visor on the bench next to him.

Can't work out the face. :thumbsup:
It's not the same Stig as the normal guy though - different helmet. Probably one of the Toyota test drivers, which is why he got careless.

LoneWolf said:
With regards to the Toyota F1 car, I'm not sure if traction control and launch control were switched on. There was quite a bit of wheel spin and the car was squirming on the braking. At first I thought it might have something to do with the environment, and because it was a closed one the aero would not work as is the car were outside. But Excel is a big place (I've been there) I can't imagine the aero would have been affected so dramatically.

I'm sure with T/C and L/C the car would have easily went beyond 120MPH.
LC was banned (officially) a couple of years back in F1. And TC might have helped a bit, but fundamentally it works by cutting the power strategically, so...