[08x06] July 16th, 2006

Jeremy wearing a hat in the Kia?

I seem to remember him saying how much he hated people who wore hats in the car - right up there with Americans and men with beards.

Watched the episode on BB2 last night and rewatched it from the BBC/TopGear site this afternoon. I thought it was a great episode. When you watch TG at the back of your mind you just know that most of it is staged but the rest of your mind tells it to belt up and just enjoy. The Caravan holiday was funny there is no getting around it, had me in stiches but the back of my mind finally won a battle Felt to me like I was watching Victor Meldrew going camping only FUNNIER. How can you critsise a show based on facts thats actully gives a bigger laugh than a sitcom. Can Jeremy act I mean I know he has a voice over on "Cars" but can he act because if you go over the "holiday" check the bit when he goes on about "Eating spam on a broken plate" he really looks genuine and properly 6 letter word starting in P ending in D and it isn't ponied. :lol:

As for bashing American cars he is just calling a spade a spade would you rather he said they where great and they are just plain rubbish, it isn't just American cars it is British ones as well some pple actully blame him for the demise of Rover, and Vauxhall blamed him for the poor sales of the original Vectra the thought never occured to GM/Opel/Vauxhall that it might in fact be crap.

final Anaylis Top Gear best show on TV bar none, national and international.

Blind_Io said:

I seem to remember him saying how much he hated people who wore hats in the car - right up there with Americans and men with beards.
get a clue, that was the point :D are you serious ? :DDD

Well, I'm not as down as some but this season isn't really living up to the standard of the past three TG seasons. I really like TG for the characters, the comedy, and _especially_ the great images of cars doing what they do best.

Racing, sliding, rallying, looking fast standing still, or (with the 10k supercar) breaking down all the time. Those images are the reason I keep TG files long after I delete everything else.

During the delay I wen't back and reviewed the earlier seasons, and I really do enjoy them more.

[edit] I just wanted to say hi to all the new posters! :thumbsup:

I can't believe James wore socks with sandals. But I guess they were trying to look like typical caravanners judging by the hats they were wearing aswell.

i did. the "what ar... eh, sorry jesus !" bit put a smile on my face tho.
hated today's news alltogether, commented on this on the first page.
sooo scripted and wannabe comedy show :( pity. hope topgear gets back to basics next season.

Next season? I hope for that by next episode! :cry:

I mean, they've already done two episodes that are nearly solely devoted to messing around (this episode and the one with the amphibious cars). Two's probably enough. Maybe we'll see something about a Camaro in Miami! :thumbsup:

niccce said:
Blind_Io said:

get a clue, that was the point :D are you serious ? :DDD

I just thought it would be more like Jeremy to have to be dragged kicking and screaming while refusing to do anything remotely associated with caravaning.

Considering his hatred of people who wear hats in cars I thought he would be as likely to grow a beard.

According to the description of next weeks episode, might not be a complete description I know, the White van challenge and the rocket powered Robin are not in that episode - would they have two large challenges like this in the final 8th episode? I don't recall seeing any of these in the episode preview either, and only from the Top Gear magazine.

Hilarious episode although they need to be more careful when passing off staged material as unscripted. Top Gear has done much better in the past in fooling the audience.

Regarding the F1 segment, they didn't know that the lack of traction inside the warehouse would slow down the F1 car so much so the segment wasn't completely pointless. They were probably surprised at the results like we were.

I still have to say that the funniest episode so far was the Toybota challenge followed by this caravan trip.

JoeBlo1 said:
... the F1 segment, they didn't know that the lack of traction inside the warehouse would slow down the F1 car so much so the segment wasn't completely pointless....

Heh. I actually got to drive my Rx-7 Turbo II in a warehouse with the same slick concrete floor and I can tell you its like ice but with even more unpredictable grip/slip points.

I can also tell you its a hell of a lot of fun.

I'm glad they showed it. I bet Toyota wasn't really happy with it, but it still is fun watching F1 cars try and act like real world cars.

Oh, and piggy stiggy. I wonder who that was? It can't be a test driver, they would all be skinny?

Re: The Stig

Boom UK said:
Has anybody noticed you can see the STIG unmasked at the back of the Excel Centre, when they are finding out how fast the Toyota F1 Car will go indoors. Approx 42 mins into the programme, just after they flash up the computer screen showing the telemetry, the camera pans round and at the back talking to one of the engineers, is a man in white racing overalls and there is a white helmet with a black visor on the bench next to him.

Can't work out the face. :thumbsup:
That wasn't the Stig... just a Toyota test driver wearing Stig's suit and helmet, you could clearly see it wasn't him. Always the same with these F1 cars.

The British critique of cars is hilarous in itself as the only Brit cars worth a sht throughout history had AMERICAN engines in them.
MEN worried about interiors over engine power and reliability is a tip to the ingrain femininty of the British male. LOL

The European athletisim comments made my day! LO fckn L
McEnroe Conners Sampras and Agassie have OWNED them at their own sport for eons.
World cup???? Like a single American gives the slightest crap about the World Cup.....LOL why kik the little ball around when you can make MILLIONS playing Baseball, BasketBall, Football or Hockey. Hell, a lowly bench-warmer in these sports make more money than SUPERSTARS in soccer do. LOL( didnt the UK team BLOW it anyway ) LOL

The BMW M6 vs the new Challenger was PRICELESS.LOL
as always JC has to take a car thats 3 TIMES more money to get better performance... the v10 in the M6 is $40,000 mutherfckn THOUSAND dollars,, 12 grand more than the whole Challenger cost!!!
It took the Euros 40 years and millions of pounds to FINALLY get what the average AMerican had,under the hood in the fckn 60s !! and NOW that kind of power is only obtainable by the most affluent Europeans.
When JC starts testing real cars and NOT exclusive,unobtainable supercars, THEN he can talk about American musclecars.
Besides,, the best Brit car is a Nissan LOLOLOLOL and all the great Brit name are AMERICAN now. LOLOL

P.S. Yes! the anti American shit has truely played out..
Its an absolute travesty to know that OUR(my) grand fathers put their VERY LIVES on the line for these ungrateful fcks..
just so they can smoke the proverbial cock of the very Germans and Japs who were trying to KILL THEM....... pffffff.

LOL...you might want to get your facts straight before going on a rant, especially this one...

WarpSlowPoke said:
Like a single American gives the slightest crap about the World Cup.....LOL why kik the little ball around when you can make MILLIONS playing Baseball, BasketBall, Football or Hockey. Hell, a lowly bench-warmer in these sports make more money than SUPERSTARS in soccer do. LOL( didnt the UK team BLOW it anyway ) LOL

Makes you look like an idiot.

WarpSlowPoke said:
The British critique of cars is hilarous in itself as the only Brit cars worth a sht throughout history had AMERICAN engines in them.
MEN worried about interiors over engine power and reliability is a tip to the ingrain femininty of the British male. LOL

The European athletisim comments made my day! LO fckn L
McEnroe Conners Sampras and Agassie have OWNED them at their own sport for eons.
World cup???? Like a single American gives the slightest crap about the World Cup.....LOL why kik the little ball around when you can make MILLIONS playing Baseball, BasketBall, Football or Hockey. Hell, a lowly bench-warmer in these sports make more money than SUPERSTARS in soccer do. LOL( didnt the UK team BLOW it anyway ) LOL

The BMW M6 vs the new Challenger was PRICELESS.LOL
as always JC has to take a car thats 3 TIMES more money to get better performance... the v10 in the M6 is $40,000 mutherfckn THOUSAND dollars,, 12 grand more than the whole Challenger cost!!!
It took the Euros 40 years and millions of pounds to FINALLY get what the average AMerican had,under the hood in the fckn 60s !! and NOW that kind of power is only obtainable by the most affluent Europeans.
When JC starts testing real cars and NOT exclusive,unobtainable supercars, THEN he can talk about American musclecars.
Besides,, the best Brit car is a Nissan LOLOLOLOL and all the great Brit name are AMERICAN now. LOLOL

P.S. Yes! the anti American shit has truely played out..
Its an absolute travesty to know that OUR(my) grand fathers put their VERY LIVES on the line for these ungrateful fcks..
just so they can smoke the proverbial cock of the very Germans and Japs who were trying to KILL THEM....... pffffff.

Me thinks Clarkson made someone very upset. ;)

Wombert said:
Boom UK said:
Has anybody noticed you can see the STIG unmasked at the back of the Excel Centre, when they are finding out how fast the Toyota F1 Car will go indoors. Approx 42 mins into the programme, just after they flash up the computer screen showing the telemetry, the camera pans round and at the back talking to one of the engineers, is a man in white racing overalls and there is a white helmet with a black visor on the bench next to him.

Can't work out the face. :thumbsup:
That wasn't the Stig... just a Toyota test driver wearing Stig's suit and helmet, you could clearly see it wasn't him. Always the same with these F1 cars.
i really dont think Toyota would allow the Stig to do something as potentially dangerous as this with their F1 car. You could tell it wasnt him because he looked like he was a little shorter and a little bulky.

this episode was just hilarious, also the 3-way review was very good as well. :thumbsup:
I really think that the Ford Mondeo would sell well here if they priced it correctly. The Ford Fusion isnt a bad car, but it can hardly compete with the Mazdaspeed 6 here. Even for those who arent looking for a sports car in that segment, I would say that the Fusion falls behind cars like the Legacy. And its not even like we are asking Ford to bring insane cars that dont meet any sort of regulations, there cant be anything major that has to be changed to make them legal here.

With regards to the Toyota F1 car, I'm not sure if traction control and launch control were switched on. There was quite a bit of wheel spin and the car was squirming on the braking. At first I thought it might have something to do with the environment, and because it was a closed one the aero would not work as is the car were outside. But Excel is a big place (I've been there) I can't imagine the aero would have been affected so dramatically.

I'm sure with T/C and L/C the car would have easily went beyond 120MPH.