Aviation Thread (56K is grounded)

Thank you Firefox for blocking all those pop-ups!

Blind_Io said:
Thank you Firefox for blocking all those pop-ups!
Yeah quite. :-/ But thats the price we pay for not having to pay for using the website.

That's the price IE users pay. :firefox:

I just got these in an email from a friend. Crazy stuff!

"A Hawker XP800 corporate jet flying about 300 mph at 16,000 feet near Reno, Nev., on Monday afternoon collided with a Schleicher sailplane. The collision damaged the nose and landing gear of the jet, but the crew was able to make a safe belly landing at Carson City. The pilot suffered minor injuries, but the co-pilot and three passengers were fine. Meanwhile, glider pilot Hirao Akihiro, 58, bailed out over the Pine Nut Mountains, landed safely, and hiked about three miles until rescuers found him about 6:45 p.m. Other than some cuts and bruises, he was unhurt. The wreckage of the glider has not been found. On Tuesday, a local pilot said jets approaching Reno shouldn't be directed over the mountain range, which is a popular site for gliders."
http://img330.imageshack.**/img330/1415/image10tb9.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.**/img444/9391/image8vv2.jpg
http://img439.imageshack.**/img439/8039/image7kq0.jpg
http://img439.imageshack.**/img439/591/image6tx7.jpg

Thanks, now I've got something to scare all the pilot students in the computer laps with. :D

Though some one somewhere wasn't doing what he/she should have...

It's amazing the glider pilot wasn't killed.

mmmmmm.......F-104, wasn't that known as "The Widow Maker"......fell out of the sky a lot
[/img]

With all the wind blowing up the mountains around there, I can see how a glider could get up that high. Is it a smart thing to to? Probably not. A bunch of fast moving planes at that altitude. Although according to the regulations the glider had the right of way.

I've known hang glider pilots who carry oxygen and regularly get up that high. One guy I heard of got caught in some "cloud-suck" - which is where a cloud is developing into a storm and forms it's own updrafts. Even with his glider in a dive he was still being pulled up and topped out at over 23,000 feet! He finally was able to slide off the updraft and dive like hell out of icing conditions before he lost his lift.

I drove a recovery vehicle for some hang glider pilots on a couple of their trips. It was fun. They wanted someone who could handle an SUV, GPS and 2-way radio.

"Umm, I go four wheeling in Moab and know land navigation with map and compass or GPS, I worked for the police department and I'm from a military family that has better radio dicipline over CB radios than most law enforcement agencies. Does that count?"

"Cool next weekend good for you?"

a glider is sth like this right?
993025000426.jpg

how can that do so much damage to a plane? :shock:

bone said:
a glider is sth like this right?
993025000426.jpg

how can that do so much damage to a plane? :shock:
I assume it was more this ort of glider.
glider-cloud.jpg

It was a glider like that white one. It's easy to see how that much damage could be caused going 300mph. Looks like the captain was lucky the windscreen frame stopped that piece of debris. I would have crapped myself if I were him! This just goes to show planes aren't made of glass and can take quite a beating.

Blind_Io said:
I've known hang glider pilots who carry oxygen and regularly get up that high. One guy I heard of got caught in some "cloud-suck" - which is where a cloud is developing into a storm and forms it's own updrafts. Even with his glider in a dive he was still being pulled up and topped out at over 23,000 feet! He finally was able to slide off the updraft and dive like hell out of icing conditions before he lost his lift.
I have heard of a local skydiver who got caught in such an updrafting cloud while under canopy.
Only managed to escape by releasing the main, falling clear of the cloud base and then opening the reserve.
I can only imagine the rush of such a ride...

People on the ground who saw him getting pulled up and into the clouds were afraid he'd land three towns over.

And when he reappeared, cleared the clouds and opened the reserve, he almost got sucked in again... :eek:

... but didn't and landed safely.

Pfft...can't even handle some oversteer. Go back to FWD Civics, yo, and you owe me a 10-second ride.

tire15.jpg