Proposal for a New Qualifying Method

andyhui01

Forum Addict
Car(s)
00' Subaru Forester GT
I wish to propose to fellow LFS members for Team FG to maybe implement a new qualifying method where qualifying times are determined by Hotlapping done on singleplayer and the .spr file is emailed to a person by a deadline before each race and the grids will be according to the fastest as usual. This has never been raised before but I think one of the major LFS racing leagues use this qualifying method and I think its more fair in a sense that we actually place the people who are fastest in front.

There are mainly 3 reasons why I believe this would be better:

ONE
I noticed today that people like mischief said he kept getting stuck in traffic and also bad luck and therefore had a poor qualifying position which might have affected his outcome of the race.

TWO
When qualifying today, besides running into bad luck, I experienced that I had racers who were faster right behind me qualifying for fastest lap, he was much faster than me and both of us were going for pb and I know I was severely blocking him but was not willing to give way as I was heading for pb too.

THREE
This will encourage people to also practice more as they set their qualifying in pb in Hotlap and save the spr to qualify and get a competitive position. Otherwise, they will qualify automatically at the back.

CONS
People who join the race on last minute will not have a chance to qualify and therefore might not be happy.

One final small note that might not affect everyone but I know certain members (ie. MXM) need to leave right after race ends and usually cannot afford any delays, so this might be a good solution. As for someone having to do all the work, I have no problems at all with downloading all and determining qualifying positions.

Please discuss and maybe after everything has been layed out and everyone understands what I mean, we could setup a poll to see what people think. If all goes well, we could decide on a deadline and a person incharge of collecting replays (via. Email).

Andy

I don't care which way it is done. My races are usually ruined during the race, like today (umm, yesterday).

Mischief007 said:
I don't care which way it is done. My races are usually ruined during the race, like today (umm, yesterday).

what do you mean? if you don't mind me asking, why did you have to pit in the last few laps of the race yesterday?

Hmm...that's what i defenetly don't like in my point of view - hotlapping in BORING. I only race to have fun...not to waist my little free time on stuff I don't like :|

For me current "style" is quite good...sadly we never get things started in time.

I think sometimes being held up a little is all part of qualifying. Considering we reverse the grid for feature anyway, i'd say it isn't so important if someone is a place or two behind where their ultimate pace may be.

I think the simpler the better with our racing :)

Like Morrow i don't like hotlapping. When you are stuck in traffic in Q, leave a gap just before you go in flatout in the last corner or just before. And hope that you have a clean run. I do that most of the time and it works quite well.
I think 15 min :p is more than enough for Q, Hotlapping is boring. Its much nicer to have some adrenaline when having Q.
So for me :thumbsdown:

^I was just thinking because we never seen to be able to start on time, but yea... just a suggestion to make Q more fair, I read it somewhere before and found it quite interesting

Yeah, Q is part of the fun for me. Watching how best times change and hoping to squeeze that last 10ms to start in front of ESPNSTI ;) While hotlapping is a lot more boring.

I didn't have to go yesterday btw, I just got tired and couldn't make the pedal work reliably, so I gave up.

FireFox said:
We can do Q 15 min before the Sprint race. So let the sprint race start @ 18:00 GMT. So Q will be @ ~17:40 GMT.
Only there is one problem, sometimes Andy doesn't show up in time :mrgreen:

hehe... if you set it to 17:40, I'll show up at 17:30... I've just always thought it starts at 1800, therefore I come a few mins before that :D