No modified cars on TG?

Zeroed

If I recall correctly there hasnt been a single feature on Top Gear with modified cars. They've done Bling, and some Citroen and other pimp-out things, but what about serious modified performance vehicles that hasnt got a million watt stereo and isnt done by a race team like the Aston DB9 race car? Something the ordinary everyday people might get to drive. (Like something from Best Motoring)

Perhaps the whole point is to stick to manufacturer spec cars, but wouldnt it be a good review to see What performance you can get with less money through modifying a car? As it is also a huge trend now.

Personally I think it would make a great film and is something Ive always wanted to see. And of course only Hammond can present such a thing in a good fashion. ;)
(And with that, best wishes for returning to the show)

edit: Actually I just recalled that they did feature some Japanese drifters, but thats a different story.

wrong.
1] 550 hp nissan something rather ( 300ZX ? ) dont remember actually. in the professor burnout ep.
2] sumo power (?) tuned civic type r in the star wars race.
3] 700+ hp evo 7 ( more likely ) or 8 in the caravan land speed record bit
4] modded citroen saxo (?) in the old vs new sportscar ( some fine driving by the stig on a twisty road )
5] NXed stirpped down jag ( well, sort of modified car :DD )

japanese drifters too, indeed.

I think there a bit where Hammond was testing the Mini Copper S Works mini, along with other Minis tuned by various tuners :p

Re: No modified cars on TG?

Zeroed said:
If I recall correctly there hasnt been a single feature on Top Gear with modified cars. They've done Bling, and some Citroen and other pimp-out things, but what about serious modified performance vehicles that hasnt got a million watt stereo and isnt done by a race team like the Aston DB9 race car? Something the ordinary everyday people might get to drive. (Like something from Best Motoring)

Actually, they did.
  • Stripped and Liquid NOx'ed an old Jag (season 1 ending for the strip, season 2 when they added the NOx) before firing it off the deck of the HMS Invincible in 03x01.
  • Reviewed, and raced, the McClaren Mercedies F-1, which is a modded Mercedies.
  • Reviewed four modded Mini Couper S's, including from BMW's Works factory and Digitec.
  • Raced a pimped out Citroen against an old school Frog.

Now granted, more can be done.

zaybxcwd12 said:
There was something about a guys Lada where they got Lotus to pull it apart and put it back together.
Yeah its the one on the left in my sig.

peter3hg2 said:
zaybxcwd12 said:
There was something about a guys Lada where they got Lotus to pull it apart and put it back together.
Yeah its the one on the left in my sig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH72SednVmE
Whats good about this video is that you can see how important a cars chassis is when cornering. The lada bounces like a superball when the driver tests the stock Lada before they tune it. :)

I would consider all the EVO FQ's they've tested as tuner cars.

that alfa with over 300 hp not count?

I remember:

- Brabus Smart Forfour
- Jamie Oliver's VW van with a Porsche engine
- Modified MG of some sort (fastet political party challenge)
- Reasonably priced car (well, does the rollcage count?)
- Alpina BMW Z8 (does pre-modifed count?)

Can we count all of Jeremy's videos that are released with "Top Gear" at the beginning? I remember modified skylines, a 700hp RS200, etc. Also, lets not forget a modified Manaro Jeremy drove. Or the Audi with two engines. Etc. True they had more of them in the earlier seasons, but still.

Ive thought about this. TG would need to be strict as to which modified cars they review or even put of the Power board.

ie: the Amuse S2000, Prodrive STi with legal mods only, etc etc...

Cuz if not, where will it end? Thered be 40 diffrent GT-Rs

Palmer Jag, Radical SR3, Bowler Wildcat, Evo rally car, Mitsubishi Starion with some sort of "push this button and the turbo gets more BOOST!"

niccce said:
1] 550 hp nissan something rather ( 300ZX ? ) dont remember actually. in the professor burnout ep.
:yes:, it was a 300ZX.

Ahh some of you guys are right. The Autodelta Alfa Romeo 147, Brabus SmartFour were indeed featured, and the minis too, in a proper review. I probably never got to watch the McLaren Mercedes F1 bit though...

I failed to mention this in the first post, sorry, but I meant to say a proper review and feature of modified cars instead of just thrashing them about in a wheelspin contest or like in the jaguar drag race, one where the focus is on the cars themselves, including a review of power, handling, comfort and overall balance. That would only leave the few I stated above I think?
Something like the 1000hp R33 Skyline GTR review (JUN or Top Secret? I dnont remember) in JC's dvd.

I think it would be great if they lined up a modified Supra(those are pretty cheap now in the UK arent they?) or VW old Golf (aesthetically boring but Ive seen a really impressive MK4 one), or something nice against, say, a F430, and see how close relatively cheap thrills can bring you to the real deal. But of course not many cars sound as good as them high end supercars. Putting it like this, it could even be one of those challenges they hold all the time.

I thought of this because I also enjoy watching Best Motoring, and they do lots of tuner cars.

>>Cuz if not, where will it end? Thered be 40 diffrent GT-Rs
Just pick the best ;) Although that would probably mean 1400hp and going straight into a tree.

You cannot make a proper review of a tuned car because every tuned car is probably different. Most of them only have a bodykit, lots of stupid stickers and an exhaust that makes your ears bleed when they drive buy... after all noize and stickers equal speed. :|

But if were talking about true tuners that allso modify the powerplatn, chassis, brakes and wieght then yah... I dont think reviewing those can be possible. Joking around, drifting and dumping them in the ocean is the best thing. :)
And very "Top Gear" right? :)

Perhaps I'm completely wrong but didn't they rewiew the audi TT bimoto??

And in one of Clarkson video's (with vicki in it actually and there was still the r123 SL brabus in it so it's probably an old video ) he reviewed lots of tuned cars (in fact he and vicki raced : him in a rover800 and her in a vauxhall nova )

Re: No modified cars on TG?

STrRedWolf said:
  • Raced a pimped out Citroen against an old school Frog.

You mean a Peugeot 306 (with 406 Coup? headlamps, tuned 307 taillights and a 3.0 V6) vs an Austin Healey

What about that episode where Jeremy went to a tuner convention and then bought a tuner car, put wings on it and sent it off a cliff?

Even if it's not a proper full length review i'd like to see some 'shootouts' and comparisons between some serious nice tuned cars. I think Clarkson would enjoy himself coming up with jokes to ridicule their looks :)

They could also fill out time where it seems there isn't that interesting a car to be powerlapped.