heel toe or toe heel?

Nice vid, but how do you bend your leg like that!? I'm kinda bow legged from hockey as a child and I'm not even close to getting my toe on the brake and heel on the gas. Is it just me or is the spacing between those pedals bigger than most?
Looks like a typical Nissan layout to me. That's exactly how I do it, and it works well.

wouldn't that make heel-toe shifting easier

anyhow, all the cars i've driven were top mounted

i have no idea if it makes heel-toe any easier... my stupid big feet barely fit on the throttle without interfering with the brake.... :(

shift at high rpms often and you will soon be grinding gears if you dont double clutch.

ever wonder why the 80's - 90's cars never shift into 1st unless you almost come to a stop? know how to fix that? double clutch, and if you had done that before the syncros went bad, you wouldnt need to double clutch whenever you didnt feel like it

100% agree. if you are driving hard, and downshifting, double-clutching is easier on the tranny. big difference in smoothness of the shift in my 911.

sure, if you race it'll be quicker not to, but you are probably rebuilding you tranny every 3-5 races too...

100% agree. if you are driving hard, and downshifting, double-clutching is easier on the tranny. big difference in smoothness of the shift in my 911.

sure, if you race it'll be quicker not to, but you are probably rebuilding you tranny every 3-5 races too...

i thought the point of blipping the throttle with the heel is to use less synchros and making it easier on the tranny...
for example...
if u go from 3 to 2 without blipping... the synchros kicks in and makes rev-match for u...
but if u go from 3 to 2 brake then rev-match u smoothly keep the car in the correct rev/torque band...
there is no point to double clutch...

I was going to try to explain it to you, but

"if u go from 3 to 2 without blipping... the synchros kicks in and makes rev-match for u..." thats just too funny. plus ignorance is bliss

I was going to try to explain it to you, but

"if u go from 3 to 2 without blipping... the synchros kicks in and makes rev-match for u..." thats just too funny. plus ignorance is bliss

ugh i dunno the proper terms for stuff but thats how it goes in my car....
<_< i never double clutched in my life and all my cars were/is manual transmission

A good thing to do before learning heel and toe is to let the car decelerate by its own mechanical drag and blip the throttle while downshifting, without using the brake pedal. It's much easier to find the rev matching the lower gear while downshifting from the higher gear at a given RPM.

there have been research saying that just hammer the brakes is more effective than heel-toe, down shift, mechanical drag braking....
true?

there have been research saying that just hammer the brakes is more effective than heel-toe, down shift, mechanical drag braking....
true?
If I am wrong, feel free to correct me, but I think the purpose of heel and toe is not to improve braking, it is to make downshifts easier and make turn-in smoother.

If I am wrong, feel free to correct me, but I think the purpose of heel and toe is not to improve braking, it is to make downshifts easier and make turn-in smoother.

yeah i know but im just saying... if u want to go from speed to dead stop...
u can do it the cool way (down shift and rev match while u brake stop)
or
u can do it the normal way (slam on the brakes and let ABS take care of it)

Well, yes, you are right. Actually, I do double-clutch every time I put it into first gear. It makes it a lot easier to just glide it right into gear.

i thought the point of blipping the throttle with the heel is to use less synchros and making it easier on the tranny...
No, that's what the clutch does. What you're describing is power/race shifting, which will wear your synchros out in a few minutes...

true?
You don't need research for that, it's true. But, obviously, you can't just hammer on the binders if you're on a highway and leave it in top gear. By heel-and-toeing, you can downshift and continue to let the mechanical drag assist the brakes.

Yes. It's a racing technique used so that you can minimize your braking zone and have smooth acceleration through a corner.

true?

An alternative to heel and toe is left foot braking: slam the brake late to a corner with your left-foot, then shift down + blip the throttle for the exit (or to stabilize the car in a long corner).

It's as much fun as it is dangerous.

How does left foot braking make sense? like you use your left foot to brake so your right foot is avaliable to do what? blip the throttle? what good is that when you can't change gears. then again I dont really understand the concpet so if someone would like to enlighten me?

hey

Left foot braking, make sense, when you have a manual transmission whith automatic clutch (like ferrari F1 system, of BMW smg too).
you'll say, why blipping the throttle !! First you'll help a smooth changing by controling the power,

Second, in a bend, in rear wheel drive cars, you can manage the position of the rear of car with the throttle, and the front of the car with brakes. SO you often need to brake with left foot, on race car in corners, but you don't need that for changing gears (but manytimes you change gear befor a bend so you hve to do all in the same time).

So In a classic manual transmission, it's impossible to change gear in the same time, but you can use it in the bend, if you don't change gear.

don't the bmw and ferrari systems blip the throttle for you? but as for the rest of the post thanks, that makes good sense.

yeah they do, but they're not perfect. You can help it.

Like, they say, you can change gear keeping the foot down, but, it's not really true. The changing will be smoother if you stop accelerate a little bit.

hey

Left foot braking, make sense, when you have a manual transmission whith automatic clutch (like ferrari F1 system, of BMW smg too).
you'll say, why blipping the throttle !! First you'll help a smooth changing by controling the power,

Second, in a bend, in rear wheel drive cars, you can manage the position of the rear of car with the throttle, and the front of the car with brakes. SO you often need to brake with left foot, on race car in corners, but you don't need that for changing gears (but manytimes you change gear befor a bend so you hve to do all in the same time).

So In a classic manual transmission, it's impossible to change gear in the same time, but you can use it in the bend, if you don't change gear.

I probably do too much karting :D and tend to drive my car like it, and balance it with the downshift.

To go back to the heel-and-toe topic, the problem is that you need to be in mid-high revs before downshifts, otherwise it's pretty jerky.

of course its not. if its jerky, you are not downshifting right...rev matching is just that, rev MATCHING, if it jerks, youre not matching revs

of course its not. if its jerky, you are not downshifting right...rev matching is just that, rev MATCHING, if it jerks, youre not matching revs

I meant it's much easier to downshift and revmatch when revs are high; when revs are low, you have to be much more accurate since the revs difference to match is proportionnally small.