Help me decide on a Rally Car

Old Volvo 240 would probably also be up for the job.

has the 480 been sold in the states? i think it would make a nice rally car as well, never seen one used as that though

I agree! Old Golfs are superb rallycars. Quite tough and reliable and as said much knowledge about how to prep them etc. Many parts around for them also so not so exoensive. Old Volvo 240 would probably also be up for the job.

Are you seriously suggesting that he should go rallying in a truck? We're not talking about rally raid here like the Paris - Dakar.

Why not? They are rear wheel driven with a four cylinder and they are very reliable. I'm not talking about getting a four wheel drive model and jacking it up.

Are any of the other cars suggested here really going to be able to stick with a rally-prepped GTi? I honestly doubt it. You can't have the fastest car on a limited budget.

And when you can afford it, you can do fair bit to a HiLux to get them going quicker.

If your on a limited budget then get a Volvo 740, Volvo used to run a rally program the engines go up to 800 bhp for a I4 and I know that racing parts would be cheap too.

Why not? They are rear wheel driven with a four cylinder and they are very reliable. I'm not talking about getting a four wheel drive model and jacking it up.
Come on! A Golf is realiable as well, more fun to drive and more competitive. A quick guess from my side is that if anyone rallies trucks then noone except the Americans. I haven ever seen a rallytruck here for example. Neither on amateur rallies nor pro-events.
Just look at it. High center of gravitity, heavy, bad bhp-per-ton ratio, and big. Why should you wanna drag along all that extra metal in the rear? All that extra weight will make it turn and accelerate like crap. Also the wheel-base is very long so it won't be so nimble as it is often required to be.
And as said before. There are many many people who are rallying Golfs so there is loads of experience and knowledge.

Last edited:
Come on! A Golf is realiable as well, more fun to drive and more competitive. A quick guess from my side is that if anyone rallies trucks then noone except the Americans. I haven ever seen a rallytruck here for example. Neither on amateur rallies nor pro-events.
Just look at it. High center of gravitity, heavy, bad bhp-per-ton ratio, and big. Why should you wanna drag along all that extra metal in the rear? All that extra weight will make it turn and accelerate like crap. Also the wheel-base is very long so it won't be so nimble as it is often required to be.
And as said before. There are many many people who are rallying Golfs so there is loads of experience and knowledge.

The photo I posted is of the long bed version, you can get a shorter bed. And while it may not have much horsepower is also does not weight a whole lot. I own one and the center of gravity is not that high.

The photo I posted is of the long bed version, you can get a shorter bed. And while it may not have much horsepower is also does not weight a whole lot. I own one and the center of gravity is not that high.
Compared to what? The Empire State Building? :)

It may not be as high but on the other hand the one of the Golf is lower. Whats the weight on of those trucks anyway?

There is actually a RallyTruck class Rally America...

RallyTruck Class
1. The purpose of the class is to allow four- and six-cylinder 2WD light
trucks; six-cylinder 4WD light trucks; and four- and six-cylinder, 2WD
and 4WD sport utility vehicles to compete in the Rally America
events. All vehicles in this class shall be normally aspirated.
Equalizing factors will be the various weights and specific
requirements listed in Article 10.2.D.3.
a. RallyTruck Class is incorporated within Production Class.

http://www.rally-america.com/pdf/Articles 5, 6, 10, Appendix 1.pdf

That is the complete Rally America rules for last year. I have the 2007 Rules around here somewhere but only slight changes.

The car class specifications start on page 14 and the rally truck class specs are on page 28.

Oh and that GTI owner was in fantasy land. He wants 3,000 USD for a 1985 GTI in fair condition, 177,000 miles, needs tires all around and probably brakes too.

Also his el cheapo aftermarket rims are all banged up.

There was a red Shelby Omni GLH for sale at a garage near the Canton garbage dump place. Down 44 till you get to the fish house, and take that kinda leftish turn. Go across the bridge and take the first right, then your next immediate left.

Sorry, i'm real shitty with directions.

There was a red Shelby Omni GLH for sale at a garage near the Canton garbage dump place. Down 44 till you get to the fish house, and take that kinda leftish turn. Go across the bridge and take the first right, then your next immediate left.

Sorry, i'm real shitty with directions.

Hmhh so you mean take the 202 towards Torrington/Litchfield then take your first right after the bridge across the farmington River?

Hmhh so you mean take the 202 towards Torrington/Litchfield then take your first right after the bridge across the farmington River?

I believe that would be it. I looked at it over the summer when it was there. It had obviously been repainted recently, and there was some over spray, but it did'nt look too bad. If it's not there, you could always ask the garage owner.

I'm always running into people who are selling rare "tuner" cars, so i'll keep my eyes open for something decent and cheap.

I believe that would be it. I looked at it over the summer when it was there. It had obviously been repainted recently, and there was some over spray, but it did'nt look too bad. If it's not there, you could always ask the garage owner.

I'm always running into people who are selling rare "tuner" cars, so i'll keep my eyes open for something decent and cheap.

Hmhh I drove by there this morning and no sign of it.

It was out in front of that little NAPA garage place across from where the Christmas tree place is now?

I was on my way in for work so didn't stop to talk to anybody might have to do that another day.

It was out in front of that little NAPA garage place across from where the Christmas tree place is now?

Yeah the "Napa" garage was where it was. COuld easily be gone by now, but it's a rare car so it's worth checking out.

What dealership do you work at btw? I used to work at Acme in Farmington and delivered to all the dealers in Simsbury, Canton and Avon.

Yeah a GLH is a pretty cool rare car but not really worth anything since it is from the 80s. The only rare 80s american car that is worth anything is the GNX.

Take a look at my Avatar and you can figure out which dealer I work at.

Right on 44 accross from the new mall.

Yeah a GLH is a pretty cool rare car but not really worth anything since it is from the 80s. The only rare 80s american car that is worth anything is the GNX.

Take a look at my Avatar and you can figure out which dealer I work at.

Right on 44 accross from the new mall.

Ah, Farmington Valley Land Rover. I would have liked to got a job there, but I figured they would have wanted a more experianced tech, if they were hiring. I work at Parson's Buick in Plainville.

Ah, Farmington Valley Land Rover. I would have liked to got a job there, but I figured they would have wanted a more experianced tech, if they were hiring. I work at Parson's Buick in Plainville.

Yeah we tend to hire from within for the tech positions here unless the tech has previous Rover experience. Our two most senior techs have about 40 years of experience between them with more then half on that on Rovers.

Our least senior tech only has five years of experience but just about all of it is on Rovers. He is a great base level hourly tech.

Our other two techs are fairly new to rovers but have year of experience on Saabs, Volvos and VWs which translates well to rovers as they are also funny cars to work on.