Think French cars would make it in the US?

Boy, you guys are making me feel old if I'm the only one who remembers this, but Peugeot and Renault already WERE in the US market and left in defeat.

I think there's a *chance* for them to make a comeback, but I don't see huge opportunities for them. If you're a snob, you want a German car. I'd see it going more like Saab -- a very tiny marketshare for a quirky but dedicated group of customers.

Renault used to be paired with American Motors (dealerships were AMC/Renault). When Chrysler bought AMC they contractually had to continue to sell rebadged renaults. The last one sold here was an Eagle Premiere (?) in the late 80's or early 90's. When they were contractually free, Chrysler stopped and Renault hasn't been seen here since. Renault actuallly had moderate success with the LeCar (which I always thought looked like an electric train) and was unique because of the canvas sunroof. This was in the late 1970s. Then the Japanese invasion began in earnest in the late 70's/early 80's, and a lot of European manufacturers had difficulties staying in the market. Not just Renault, but Alfa, Fiat, and others. The Japanese cars pretty much edged out the weaker European brands.

Peugeot was here too and from what I recall had a pretty sporting image almost on par with BMW (late 70s) but they were squeezed out of the market. BMW nurtured its image, Peugeot did not.

I don't believe Citroen was ever in the US market.

Remember the US is a large market and having dealer infrastructure is important, and can't be estsablished overnight (why Renault partnered with AMC in the first place). For example, take a look at the efforts Smart is going through to get set up in the US (and they're actually owned by Daimler-Chrysler, who is choosing NOT to distribute them themselves). Nobody wants to have their closest dealership hundreds of miles away.

At this point, the Japanese are kicking everybody's butts and creeping up on the premium European cars year by year. Given that, I don't see much point to bringing the French cars here, especially when the Saabs and Volvos of the world are having problems keeping their footholds as it is.

I would like to see them come because of their, um, "unique" styling. I'm always in favor of bold sheetmetal. However, I've found that Americans don't like things that are different -- they want to fit in. Thus, the masses drive Camry and Accord; when they get more money, they get an A4 or a 3-series; when they get rich, they get an S-class.

Last edited:
Janstett basically said it all. But I will add some more.

The only chance the French have is if they stick to high density population area's where imports are accepted. This basically means, Chicago, Southern California, and parts of the north east.

I think there could be a healthy niche market for Citroens. In the market as janstett describes it seems like there is room for an odd alternative.

Boy, you guys are making me feel old if I'm the only one who remembers this, but Peugeot and Renault already WERE in the US market and left in defeat.

I'm with you man... I remember seeing a few Renault 5's (the iconic car!) 12-15 years ago. I even remember them trying to market Renaults by using the phonetic pronunciaton of the name ("REN-OLLLT") because they figured Americans wouldn't understand the French pronunciation!

Actually, Citroen was in the American market very early on, I do believe. Like 50's early on.

Also, Renualt has made a reemergance on the American market. Say hello to the Renault Clio--er Nissan Versa:

07.nissan.versa.340.jpg

typical americans think styling consists of big wheels, chromed everything, and chunky styling. so these french cars will only be purchased by young people with no money.

didnt citroen offer free insurance for some time...

do that, every 16-25 year old will rock up and buy one.
my insurance is through the roof.

Most French cars aren't up to much any more which is a shame. Peugeots of the late 80s and 90s were really good. They knocked out some of the best handling cars on sale like the aforementioned 205 and also the 306 GTI-6 (the first hot hatch with a 6 speed gearbox no less!):

5670_1.jpg

Since then their efforts have been limp at best though. The 206 GTI and 307 Feline or whatever it's called (yes it really is called something silly like that!) are rubbish.

Renault are the only ones now making decent handling cars in the form of the Clio 182, 182 Cup and 182 Trophy up until last year and the 197 this year.

renault_clio_06_06_05.jpg

renault_clio_197_07_05_06.jpg

Neither of them would really do very well State side though because people would consider them to be too small which is a shame. The Renaultsport Megane Renault F1 Team R26 230 (longest name in the world award anyone?) would probably compete quite well with the Golf GTI, but then that's one car in their entire range.

motmain_239579a.jpg

The main reasons they're not in the US is because of the cost in establishing the brand there and more importantly the cost in redesigning their cars to comply with US legislation. People often don't realise how different the laws are on cars between the States and Europe.

Last edited:
Neither of them would really do very well State side though because people would consider them to be too small which is a shame. The Renaultsport Megane Renault F1 Team R26 230 (longest name in the world award anyone?) would probably compete quite well with the Golf GTI, but then that's one car in their entire range.

Renault could do well if they only sold their small sporty cars. There is a lack of stylish sporty cars for cheap in the states.

more importantly the cost in redesigning their cars to comply with US legislation. People often don't realise how different the laws are on cars between the States and Europe.

The difference is, ours are retarded and redundant. I honestly don't understand why the US laws and euro laws aren't matched up better. We got stuck with shittier headlights for years because of our retarded laws...how the hell is it safe to have dim lights?

They need at least these two things to succeed:
1) Self-deprecating humor about their Frenchness
2) Hyundai-level warranties to dispell fears about their reliability

Alfa Romeo also has the reliability hurdle to consider when it comes back, so it'd be a good case study for the Frenchies.

no they don't because every "alfisti" with a decent paying job will buy 5 of each of their cars, just the other day i was talking to a man with 26 Alfa Romeos, and not a rich man either!

We got stuck with shittier headlights for years because of our retarded laws...how the hell is it safe to have dim lights?

add*that are forced to be pointed upwards so you can see signs, when really it just blinds people

Last edited:
We got stuck with shittier headlights for years because of our retarded laws...how the hell is it safe to have dim lights?

you mean you are saved from the swerving, vibrating, much to bright bi-xenon headlights blinding you untill they pass

Maybe their larger ones, they are a lot like American cars, soft, boring, smooth, comfortable.

you mean you are saved from the swerving, vibrating, much to bright bi-xenon headlights blinding you untill they pass

No, we are stuck with those as well.

I'm talking about the Hella H4's and previous lights. Stuff that came factory on most BMW's since the late 80's, were not only sold, but illegal to put on cars here. At least until mid 90's.

I wouldn't mind having a Clio V6
renault-clio-v6-13.jpg

Mid engined no less. =D

^no no

they just put wheels under the engine bay, put a seat in it, and chopped off the rest of the car :p