Best and Worst Sellers in the US (2006)

http://www.forbes.com/home/2007/01/...orbeslife-cx_dl_0129bestworstsellingcars.html

Numbers of note:

Porsche's best seller in the US is still the 911. I would've thought that one of their cheaper models would take the title. I assume Porsche 911s are much cheaper in the US so the price difference between their models isn't that great causing ppl to opt for the 911.

Mercedes' best seller is the E-class. Again, would've thought it may have been one of their cheaper models.

Toyota worst seller is the Land Cruiser (100 Series) with about 3400 sales. I think Toyota sells more Land Cruisers (100 series) in Australia - 10,653 LC100 sold in Australia (http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2277417.aspx).

Jaguar's numbers for their best (S-type) and worst (XJ) selling are very close - which isn't good. Jag only sold approx 5,800 S-types - compared against other luxury brands, that's really sh*t. No wonder they're bleeding money.

Last edited:
The 911 is the icon, the Poser mobile. If you want to try and use your car to get laid, you don't buy a Boxster. It looks like your driving your wifes car.

Mercedes... Anyone looking at a c-class sized luxury car are buying the 3 series or the Lexus IS it seems. Others feel their $30k is spent on a bigger car from another manufacturer.

Jaguar has a bad rep in the US. The Japanese luxury brands really put the hurt on them.

if you're going for a porsche, you don't have much other choice than to get a 911

besides the boxster, cayman or cayenne, they all are 911s

I read a report that here in the States, Audi sold a total of around 90,000 cars in 2006. BMW sold more 3-series cars than Audi did in total. I guess that's why I see a 7-series everywhere I go but hardly see an Audi A8.

I want to know who the 141 people are that bought McLaren SLR's. It'd also be interesting to see other supercar numbers like Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and Rolls Royce.

I read a report that here in the States, Audi sold a total of around 90,000 cars in 2006. BMW sold more 3-series cars than Audi did in total. I guess that's why I see a 7-series everywhere I go but hardly see an Audi A8.

I want to know who the 141 people are that bought McLaren SLR's. It'd also be interesting to see other supercar numbers like Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and Rolls Royce.

I can tell you who owns one of the SLR's they live just a block from me and when I hear it drive by on some summer days it just sounds epic. I think the supercar numbers are not really comparable though because they dont usually end up with cars left on the lot.

The article states that they deliberately ruled out exotic brands. Also, Audi is not such a big brand in the US; in many cases people just don't know it exist. VW has got a lot of work to do.

Jaguar has a bad rep in the US. The Japanese luxury brands really put the hurt on them.

Jag is so screwed up now I don't know what they will do.

They built great driving, reliable cars that many people agree are good looking but they just don't sell. :blink:

audi doesn't get half the respect it deserves, such a great car company

That's because Audi made some shit cars 20 years ago and it's hard to forget that.

I think there are three reasons the Land Cruiser is not doing so well.

1 - Price. It's much higher than most people can afford
2 - It has grown out of it's original design and market. Where it was once a seriously touch off road utility vehicle it is now loaded down with useless luxury extras that increase the price and ensure that it never does what it was originally designed to do
3 - They last so damn long no one ever needs to replace them.

http://www.forbes.com/home/2007/01/...orbeslife-cx_dl_0129bestworstsellingcars.html

Numbers of note:

Porsche's best seller in the US is still the 911. I would've thought that one of their cheaper models would take the title. I assume Porsche 911s are much cheaper in the US so the price difference between their models isn't that great causing ppl to opt for the 911.

Mercedes' best seller is the E-class. Again, would've thought it may have been one of their cheaper models.
Base price for a Boxter is $45,600
Base price for a 911 is $72,400

We don't get many of the cheaper models of european cars that europe and the rest of the world get.

Blind_IO:

You neglect the depreciation. Everyone I've known to have one just ran it into the ground (which being british wasn't an issue), they were far more expensive to repair than they were worth, and they weren't worth selling.

In 2 years it's more cost effective to sell the bits of metal (left after the rust) to a scrap yard than to resell the damn things.

I was wondering that as well, our FJ80 is still one of the most desirable models of Land Cruiser and it's 14 years old. We have guys who work in the local Toyota dealerships who offer to buy it any time we happen to take it by. I talked to a sales guy at one of the local Toyota lots that does both used and new cars - he said that the last FJ80 that came through was bought before the previous owner had even finished the paperwork to trade it in. Someone who wanted that model had an insider at the dealership who called when the FJ80 came in on the trade. The guy called the dealership back and paid for the car with his credit card over the phone, site unseen.

This is the car I am talking about:
http://img400.imageshack.**/img400/8535/dossierhdj80lx5.jpg

And this is the newest one:
http://img482.imageshack.**/img482/4087/06560landc5d5d5d5d5d000vz4.jpg

And this is pretty much what I want, but without the chrome rims and probably in a color other than black.
http://img482.imageshack.**/img482/6140/lm2ze9.jpg

are you talking about the Land Rover or Land Cruiser?

God damn Toyota! Yes I was talking of the Rover... :lol:

Land Cruisers are the shit, Land Rovers are shit. Some how I saw rover... not sure why.

/backs away from the keyboard like an embarrassed coward.

Land Cruisers are the shit, Land Rovers are shit.
How...?

Rust is no big problem with old Land Rovers, as the body is made from aluminium. The old '79 Range Rover Vogue we had before the one we have now only had minor problems that could easyly be fixed at home. Interestingly it was sold for the same sum of money in 1999 as when it was bought second hand in 1985. (NOK 40000 = $~5000) So the depreciation was nil... When w advertised it in the classified-ads in the local newspaper we got an immidiate response that same morning and it was sold to that man, he couldn't be bothered with the small faults on it, he just wanted to buy it anyway...

The latter could not be said about the Land Cruiser (80s model, don't remember which) one of my dad's collagues has. Like the Range Rover there were small faults with that one as well. The big difference was, when he got rid of it he couldn't sell it, absolutely nobody wanted to buy it, he had it up for sale for about six months and got no response on it. So it went to the crusher.