Cars you just dont understand

The fact that Porsche still is a success, proves it for me.

I've never driven a 911, to be honest, much like most of the people on this board. But what I've gathered from people who have, and even people who know how to drive them; is that they are amazing cars to drive when you learn the technique. But with that lump of steel behind the rear wheels, they are tricky before you reach that level of competance.

That's why people hate them.

But with that lump of steel behind the rear wheels, they are tricky before you reach that level of competance.

That's why people hate them.
Cast aluminium block with aluminium heads from the 996 and onwards. The 986 Boxster had the earlier version of the one that appeared in the 996. The GT3, GT2 and the Turbo has a different engine, derived from the racing-engine found in the 911 GT1.

The old aircooled engines had a cast iron cranckcase with forged steel (individually removable) cylinders lined with nicasil.

You are..

..SUCH AN ANORAK!

:tease:

How this
ford-mustang-1968a.jpg

Became this
1978_Ford_MustangII_KingCobra.jpg

In such a short space of time

Very stupid designers.

M6 for me. I love the older M5s and M3s. but just not the M6.
Anyone care to explain?:)

I'm with you.

Who's going to buy a more expensive car, that doesn't look as special, hasn't got four doors, and generally is SO MUCH LESS value for money.

M5 > M6.

I despise this man, but without the very book he wrote that I hate him for we wouldn't have the safety regs we do today (maybe).

He said "the corvair is unsafe at any speed" except it's actually quite safe at legal speeds, and only had a "flip over problem" when at very high speeds you did repetitive (read: never going to happen in the real world) high speed lane change maneuvers. The "problem" was fixed in '64. The whole "front end lift at 120mph" is true, but if your going that fast, your breaking the law, or driving the car out of it's official spec. I don't even think a corvair can do 120 from the factory anyway.

/rant-ish

don't even think a corvair can do 120 from the factory anyway.
Later versions could. 180hp turbo flat-6 power and a 2500lb curb weight = :mrgreen:
I think we would have gotten the safety improvements regardless, all Nader did was help kill a really cool car. I mean an American car, in the late '60s, with IRS and an alloy turbo'd flat 6 in the rear? WTF lol.

Later versions could. 180hp turbo flat-6 power and a 2500lb curb weight = :mrgreen:
I think we would have gotten the safety improvements regardless, all Nader did was help kill a really cool car. I mean an American car, in the late '60s, with IRS and an alloy turbo'd flat 6 in the rear? WTF lol.

Haha, yeah. I forgot how much power the Turbo made. The corvair "the porsche 911 before there was a porsche 911" :lol:

^you don't need hp in a van

as long as it's got enough torque, it'll do the job just fine

Putting the ridiculously small engines in vans like 90BHP engines or something in a 2 tonne van.

1. You need torque, not effect.
2. It's cheaper, and will in some cases be somewhat more ecconomical.
3. You don't need speed when all you do is drive around London with a hammer in the back.

"personal luxury coupes"
69Buick06-or.jpg

I love 'em anyway, but why the hell are they so huge? :?