Grand Cherokee SRT600 12.2s qrt mile

Where to begin? tires? - low profile, not the high volume tires required for wheeling.
rims- large diameter alloy - you need small diameter steel since it bends instead of cracks.
suspension- stiffened I would imagine, that means no wheel travel
ride height- lowered, so no clearance
Body work- approach and departure angles worse than some sports cars.
No skid plates
The turbo is under the block where it will get destroyed.

need I go on?
All valid points, but a lot of the fast cars it's competing with aren't very useful on the roads. (Limited rear visibility, having to be lifted up to go over speedbumps, just two seats, ect.) This is just as fast as them and has 5 real seats and plenty of cargo room. How many of those other cars can you say that about? I'm not into the whole sporty off roaders either, but for as fast as this goes and as big as it is it's damn impressive.

What does the "S" in SUV stand for?

... and French Fries are not deep fried French farmers...
Sport SUVs is like me buying a Lada, paint it red and make everyone around me believe it is a Ferrari. Thats how horrible the Idea is. :|

No. Your second pic is the Grand Cherokee.

This was the Cherokee:
1998-jeep-cherokee-limited-black.jpg

Gotcha...I thought you meant that they were meant to be the same thing, but a different name. i didn't know you meant they just stopped making that one, and make this one now, and that it's not just a new version.

Gotcha...I thought you meant that they were meant to be the same thing, but a different name. i didn't know you meant they just stopped making that one, and make this one now, and that it's not just a new version.

Yeah........they replaced the Cherokee (not grand Cherokee) with the POS liberty. I guess I wouldn't mind the Liberty, if they hadn't made it the replacement for a very good vehicle. At least they haven't gotten rid of the Wrangler yet, but I'd still take a Cherokee over it any day, since you don't have to worry about the soft top.

This Hennessey beast is still silly though. I don't really like any of the "Sport" Sport Utility Vehicles. I'd much rather have a fun powerful car and a utilitarian truck that just gets the job done then something that tries to combine the two. Now we just need to get Toyota to make Hybrid Diesel Tacoma so we can get good mileage with our utilitarian vehicle. Hell, I'd just take a 4 cylinder Diesel one.

JH

I would consider an SRT8 Grand Cherokee, depending on its tow capability (which admittedly I have not researched). Another crowd pleaser on this board is the SVT Lightning, my old ride - not the sort of thing for the Euros around here, but it could pull 7500 lbs and was still as fast as my Monaro/GTO, and defiantely more reliable.

But, from cursory examination of the SRT GC, with the center mounted exhausts I doubt it can pull anything, which means I am not interested.

I've driven the GC SRT-8 (the stock one with a "mere" 420hp) and it's a heck of a fun vehicle. I wouldn't own it, personally, but good lord, standing starts are just outrageous with the AWD. How many cars can roll up to you during the school run and then smoke you effortlessly?

It does get a little tippy in the slalom, but, like the Cayenne or Toureg, that's only at some very high limits. 7/10ths in it is still a blast and quite quick.

Steve

I've driven the GC SRT-8 (the stock one with a "mere" 420hp) and it's a heck of a fun vehicle. I wouldn't own it, personally, but good lord, standing starts are just outrageous with the AWD. How many cars can roll up to you during the school run and then smoke you effortlessly?

It does get a little tippy in the slalom, but, like the Cayenne or Toureg, that's only at some very high limits. 7/10ths in it is still a blast and quite quick.

Steve

How DARE you sir - actually having driven one and offer your opinion here! Prepare to be viciously e-skewered!

I can't WAIT to see the followups to this.

:)

How DARE you sir - actually having driven one and offer your opinion here! Prepare to be viciously e-skewered!

I can't WAIT to see the followups to this.

:)

What we SHOULD be talking about is the Ram SRT-10 pickup truck. They had those at Laguna Seca as well. A truly fun if pointless thing because with no rear weight, you could do the entire slalom with both rear wheels spinning the entire distance.

From a track perspective, though, the car that most surprised me was the Crossfire SRT-6. Very quick little car.

Steve

that car takes skidpad with 0.9G, so it does handle too. Viper and Z06 and FGT are the competition with performance in mind. 'It does DRINK a lot, but well beside the so-so interior it is quite faultless..

What we SHOULD be talking about is the Ram SRT-10 pickup truck. They had those at Laguna Seca as well. A truly fun if pointless thing because with no rear weight, you could do the entire slalom with both rear wheels spinning the entire distance.

From a track perspective, though, the car that most surprised me was the Crossfire SRT-6. Very quick little car.

Steve

I dunno - I never was a fan of the RAM. Really not any faster than the Lightning, yet when they brought it out there were at first no rims you could mount slicks to that would fit over the brakes in back. (I am sure they have fixed that by now.) Plus that shifter has got to be mega annoying(it has a throw about as long as a schoolbus.)

I have long decried the self-contradictory ridiculousness of all these fast trucks that manage neither to be fast* nor effectively trucks**. I mean if you enjoy them fair enough, its boyish fun, but the you're not really having your cake and eating it too; they are such a bad compromise. They are truely wasteful, not just of fuel, but of R&D. Imagine being an engineer being told to make a truck, designed for one thing, into a sports car, designed for another, without really changing the design.

* except in a straight line, and even so that engine would be a damn sight faster in a lower, more aerodynamic, lighter package. Not to mention it would actually handle.
** no clearance, no utilitarian tires, no one uses the bed in a SRT-10 - come on

I agree with you, Narcolepsy... but then again I do like seeing these things even though I think they're silly.

I still get excited if I see one of the few remaining GMC Syclones or Typhoons rolling around (awd, 4.3l turbo).

Also, this isn't a factory car. Tuners will do anything to get magazine coverage for one of their creations.

-Justin

Well, no vehicle can be all things. But the fact remains that these days there are fewer places every day where you can drive a sports car like it is meant to be driven, and most people cant afford to have a truck for truck things, a sports car for getting gas, a Volvo to take the kids to school in, etc. Its a lot less silly than taking an econobox like a Civic and trying to turn it into a track or drag car. *Thats* crazy talk.

So for me, a vehicle that turned a 13.1 quarter mile in stock trim, could carry 1500 lbs in cargo, or 5000 lbs (greater in 2003 and 2004) of trailer, and still be comfortable on long trips is a winner.

I would consider an SRT8 Grand Cherokee, depending on its tow capability (which admittedly I have not researched). Another crowd pleaser on this board is the SVT Lightning, my old ride - not the sort of thing for the Euros around here, but it could pull 7500 lbs and was still as fast as my Monaro/GTO, and defiantely more reliable.

But, from cursory examination of the SRT GC, with the center mounted exhausts I doubt it can pull anything, which means I am not interested.

A SRT8 Grand Cherokee can indeed not pull anything. The center exhaust is where the trailer hitch would be located, and I doubt you'd want to cut a hole in the bumper for one. Better off getting a used Lightning or a four door SRT-10 (yes the one with the 4speed auto) for towing/track duty.

I dunno - I never was a fan of the RAM. Really not any faster than the Lightning, yet when they brought it out there were at first no rims you could mount slicks to that would fit over the brakes in back. (I am sure they have fixed that by now.) Plus that shifter has got to be mega annoying(it has a throw about as long as a schoolbus.)

The 4 door (which I drove) is automatic.

It's fun in a very schoolboy fashion. And I don't argue that it'd get old after 15 or 20 minutes.

But doggone those 15 minutes were fun!

Steve