2007 Formula 1 Season

What are your guys suggestion? Personally i do not know if the normal fans would understand this tyre marking. Can anyone suggest what should be done? Maybe a picture would help. If I was the FIA, i would put white line on the tyre for hard and red line for soft. I don't mean on the side. Since the groove tyre could be coloured. However the sponsor might not be happy if the colour clash with their advertising.

What are your guys suggestion? Personally i do not know if the normal fans would understand this tyre marking. Can anyone suggest what should be done? Maybe a picture would help. If I was the FIA, i would put white line on the tyre for hard and red line for soft. I don't mean on the side. Since the groove tyre could be coloured. However the sponsor might not be happy if the colour clash with their advertising.
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to put the colored lines on teh grooves of the tire, it might effect handling. I think on the side is fine.

A tire manufacturer put out a colored tire a few years ago, couldn't they just license the technology and put some research into it and use those?

Either way, mandatory tire compound usage is gimmicky and shouldn't be in F1. CART can do gimmicks, F1 just shouldn't :mad:

Another case of the F1 showing how much of a joke it can be, and how little it cares for it's fans. Clashing with the car's colour scheme?? Oh FFS, pull your head out of your ass...

Things like this shouldn't be hard, the fact it causes this much discussion between the teams & the governing body says something quite sad about F1.

Anyhoo, my suggestion from earlier was for the softer compound to have a white sidewall, with the Bridgestone letterings in black - should keep everybody happy.

TG said that coloured rubber tyres have a drop in performance and grip, from the TVR episode when Stiggy stalled.

My suggestion is Dayglo yellow Bridgestone logos on the softest tyres.

F1 needs to get back to the good old days with Bernie getting more involved. Clashing with sponsors colours....P-LEASE!!

Grrr...

I was just looking at some pre-season photos on Honda's website, and also at the team photo from the pit lane in Melbourne. I should have known by looking at these earlier, that Honda wouldnt be doing so well this year. Why you ask...

Cos Nick Fry isnt smiling in ANY photo!!

Jenson Button is claiming that the aero upgrades scheduled for Malaysia will only make a small amount of difference. Button has been rubbishing Honda for weeks now! Isn't it the F1 driver's duty to be ever optimistic to keep the motivation within the team high, and sponsors happy? Well we know Honda don't have any sponsors, but I wouldn't want to have slaved my ass off over the aero on that car only for Button to say it wont make much difference.

Somethings really not right at Honda. Seriously, they need to sack Shuhei and bring back Willis!!

It's the same with all these big Japanese car manufacturers isn't it? Those corporate heads at Toyota and Honda think that they know how to run a F1 team because they know how to build hatchbacks.

Come on, Honda's had much more success in F1 than Toyota, so I think that Honda have credibility here.

If they dont improve mid-season and make a charge next year, then something is wrong.

Actually, as much as I hate to admit it, you are right.

I think the problem at Honda (and Toyota) is that the japanese way of going forward is improving old stuff instead of taking risks and going for something new. That just doesn't work in current F1. If the technical rules would be locked for five years or so I recon both Toyota and Honda would be pretty close to top at the end of that period, but now that the rules change pretty much year by year they have difficulties.

Toro Rosso appoints new technical chief

Monday, 02, April, 2007, 11:06

Scuderia Toro Rosso has appointed Giorgio Ascanelli as its new technical director.

The Italian was STR co-owner Gerhard Berger?s race engineer at Ferrari in the 1990s and has spent the past five years as technical director of Maserati?s racing division.

Ascanelli appointment means that Alex Hitzinger, who was deputising as STR?s technical chief over the past few months, is now free to concentrate on his original role as head of Red Bull Technology?s Advanced Technologies department.

In addition to his time at Ferrari, Ascanelli can also draw on Formula 1 experience from brief spells at Benetton and McLaren.

Source

^ That was always going to happen. Alex Hitzinger wanted all along to be in Advanced Tech so it was inevitable that once Gerhard got his mate, then Alex would head off.

See what he can do for the team then. Still think they need better drivers though.