Best automotive magazines

Angst

Car(s)
2k7 Audi A4
I seriously need to read something about cars. And I mean no blogs or sites (however, if you know some very well made post 'em...), but magazines. Italians are getting worse and worse at every issue, therefore I'm looking for an English or German. These are the only two languages - apart from Italian, of course - I've no problem to understand. I only read, nowadays, EVO UK, but I'd like also something more general, not only about sports cars. So, please suggest me. :_:

Do you mean British magazines or magazines in the English Language? I could suggest a few American magazines if you with but I am not sure if that is what you are looking for.

Sportauto and Evo are best, I do also subscribe Motor Trend, Hot Rod and CAR. MT and HR as they are really cheap.

I thought Car and Driver was good until I started reading British magazines.

I have read British magazines and Car and Driver is still good in comparison.

I have read British magazines and Car and Driver is still good in comparison.

I agree, everyone seems to be hard on C/D. But I really like it, C/D and Motor Trend are good American mags. Top Gear, EVO and CAR are too expensive to buy regularly and they are never in libraries (to read for free).

I like Top Gear mag and EVO... I must admit though that I think the quality of TG mag has gone down a little in the last few years. It just doesn't seem as well done as before.

I agree, everyone seems to be hard on C/D. But I really like it, C/D and Motor Trend are good American mags. Top Gear, EVO and CAR are too expensive to buy regularly and they are never in libraries (to read for free).

To cover all your bases you should subscribe to both. And even if you do subscribe to both C/D and Motor Trend you are still only paying a fraction of what you would for a subscription to a Euro mag.

Worst thing about the UK mags is they're like $14 over here, way too much to buy every month. I used to get people to bring 'em for me from European flights and I usually got about 10 of the 12 issues per year that way. But it turns out most airlines don't have TG anymore on their planes.

Just go down to your local library or something and there should be car mags. I personally prefer Autocar. I find that Car and Driver is okay, but they have too many advertisments, and they don't review any European cars.

Nobody likes reading papers/mags attached to a 2 foot long stick.

I personally prefer Sports Car International.

I love EVO... the car tests are pretty great but the road trip articles really give you a sense of the joy you get from driving great cars plus the photography is freaking great

Grassroots Motorsport is AWESOME. it's all about budget racing for everyone. In the US anyway

To cover all your bases you should subscribe to both. And even if you do subscribe to both C/D and Motor Trend you are still only paying a fraction of what you would for a subscription to a Euro mag.
Yea Top Gear is a good magazine and you are getting a lot, but paying $10 for one is way too expensive to be a regular habit.

I usually buy EVO magazine as I consider it to be the best, but since you are looking for something else I would suggest Autocar.

Car and Driver is really fucking pissing me off lately. How many times are they going to do that irritating "Reader's Review Challenge" advertising crap? They've done it to a few Ford cars, which I could stand at first, but when they whored themselves to the Cadillac SRX next then I knew that those guys could be bought out pretty easily. So much for journalistic integrity when they're giving such blatant and messy handjobs to the highest bidder: now that I can read John Phillips's articles online, I'm glad my subscription ran out a while ago.

I got a free year's subscription to Autoweek, which is an incredibly dull read. I like reading about classic cars, though, so when I'm at Borders I get a copy of Classic and Sports Car magazine, and drool over the 70s Aston Martin V8 Vantages I can't afford. Yet.

I usually find a decent article in Sport Compact Car magazine, they have a really kick ass event they do every year called "The ultimate street car challenge." It's around 10 modified cars that are required to go through all the same things a normal car review goes through. They have to do everything fast acceleration, hard cornering, smooth ride, fuel economy, highest hp, highest torque, smog, etc...

A couple from past events:
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/uscc/0303scc_uscc00/
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0403scc_uscc_challenge/

I'm a tech article guy, I'm more into how things work than how fast they actually go, or how smooth they ride, so I tend to look at the modified car and race car mags. Judging from what you asked for, these suggestions are useless. Race Car Engineering is an excellent one out of the UK, Circle Track magazine (probably not available outside the US) is great for engine and suspension and chassis articles.

If you're looknig for British mags, besides the obvious choice of TG, Auto Express is great for new car news as is Autocar.