Vauxhall VXR8 review

Does look very nice but doubt it be very popular. I've seen one VXR version and that's it :p

I think the important thing about these cars is how well they will do in the US. GM is basically banking on the G8, and the other cars based on it, to save the company.

The thing I don't get about Aussie Fords is you have both the V8's and the Turbo 6. Why bother with importing the 8's? The 6 is a great engine from what I hear, and is locally built, the V8 is at best redundant, at worse a waste of money, and only bought because "it's a v8 mate!"

The 'it's a V8' and the noise are the two major reasons. Also, the main reason they're reluctant to drop the V8 is that Ford actually did drop the V8 for a while in the 80's, and it hurt their image pretty badly here. Also, the non-sport models offer the same V8 in lower tune (300hp or so) as an option, and the T6 is for the XR6T/Typhoon/Tornado/Territory Turbo only. I can see that changing with the new model, though.

Still after 1986 (for Holden) everything kinda went pearshaped with the (crappy...really crappy) Aussie Six's replaced with Nissans RB engine and then the Buick V6 and the V8 living on till 1998 and getting dropped in favor of the Chev Gen3...

I think the main problem with the old red motor is that it was kept around for too long. I believe Holden didn't have enough money to develop a new engine as well as the Commodore, so they stuck the old motors in along with the emissions equipment that they required, which hurt performance. I'm sure the 202 put out more power pre July 1976 (Australian emissions laws came into force then).

It was an old nail by the VK, and Holden couldn't afford to redevelop it for unleaded fuel (to those who don't know, cat converters were law here in 1986), hence, the RB30 in the VL.

Come on guys, those lights are old news to us Antipodeans - you're acting like you've never seen them before. But yes, they're not the prettiest of things - change for change's sake unfortunately.

I seriously hadn't seen the lights before that pic. I've now seen a few HSV versions around the streets now, but I can't say I'm any more used to the light design just yet.

I'm far from any expert in Aussie cars, but I do read a rather interesting Aussie web mag, and only in the last 15 years have Holden's really been using anything from the rest of the GM parts bin.

I've always found it tricky to get solid information on so called Australian engines. Just how does the "HEC" 308 differ from the Chevrolet 308?

Think about this logically, how can a OHV 5.0 litre V8 produced by Holden (GM) vary that significantly to a OHV 5.0 litre produced by Chevrolet (GM). It's the same bloody engine, for gawds sake.

Just because it's not explicitly stated that these are American designed motors doesn't mean that we've just spawned them magically from a jar of Vegemite. It seems to really pain die hard loyalists that there is such a significant American influence in Australian cars, and the idea that the Phase III is anything less than all Australian is absurd ;)

GM in the US never had one with that reputation (everyone went straight for the 327 then the 350).

Well, that's because you had a choice...and no one would choose a 308 when you can go bigger.

I've always found it tricky to get solid information on so called Australian engines. Just how does the "HEC" 308 differ from the Chevrolet 308?

Think about this logically, how can a OHV 5.0 litre V8 produced by Holden (GM) vary that significantly to a OHV 5.0 litre produced by Chevrolet (GM). It's the same bloody engine, for gawds sake.

Oh its a totally diffrent motor. Trust me. You name it, its diffrent. Oil system, block.....uh do you want me to go on?

The Chev Smallblock is in no way related to the Holden motor....You can buy rather comprehensive conversion kits to put say a 350 Chev in a old HQ Holden in place of the old Holden 308 engine.....if they where the same motor couldn't you simply slot them in?

Red/Black/Blue was the colour of the block, + rules on emmisions etc....but its a bit misleading since some black motors where crap (eg Black 202's) and some where good......uh....

I suppose the last of the "black" motors was the 4 bolt Group A rocketship motor for the VN/VL etc etc....

^ Well done, you went an entire post without mentioning Alfa :p

Your Impressed!

Well Holden do use a V6 related to the motor in the Current Alfa Romeo 159/Brera.....

.....Oh I think I ruined it.....:p

Last edited:
Oh its a totally diffrent motor. Trust me. You name it, its diffrent. Oil system, block.....uh do you want me to go on?

The Chev Smallblock is in no way related to the Holden motor....You can buy rather comprehensive conversion kits to put say a 350 Chev in a old HQ Holden in place of the old Holden 308 engine.....if they where the same motor couldn't you simply slot them in?

Fair enough, a bit of googling shows that the Chevrolet 307 was a bit soft (literally) rather unlike the Holden 308. With no other equivalents in GM's range I will have to concede that the Holden 308 is, in fact unique to Holden (albeit with quintessential American characteristics).

I'm still puzzled as to why they would bother with a clean sheet design though, it's not really a bad thing, apart from spawning generations of nationalistic Holden fanboys :p

Haha, but truth be told the Holden drivelines where always a bit rubbish, the only one of merit was the brock V8 + a 5 speed box....

My day to day hack is powered by a hairdryer assisted datsun motor....and thats the way I like it....

Fair enough, a bit of googling shows that the Chevrolet 307 was a bit soft (literally) rather unlike the Holden 308. With no other equivalents in GM's range I will have to concede that the Holden 308 is, in fact unique to Holden (albeit with quintessential American characteristics).

I'm still puzzled as to why they would bother with a clean sheet design though, it's not really a bad thing, apart from spawning generations of nationalistic Holden fanboys :p

When GM bought out Holden they basically gave them a budget and said "send us some money at the end of the year." Ford does similarly with Ford Australia.

It should also be added that before the mid 70's, some of the Chev motors (the 307, 327 and 350) were actually offered in Holdens, mainly before the local V8 and emission rules, but still (I think they still had the 350 in the HQ anyway, but might have been Monaro-only).

Yeah by the time they got to the VB the Yank motors where no more. The Holden V8's got the nickname of the "plastic motor" since they where for a V8 very very lightweight.

While I can't confirm this (and I don't really belive it....I'll weigh them/confirm this oneday) I was told by a "V8 Junkie" the 4.9 Litre 304 V8 found in the VL Commodore was only 20Kg heavier than the Nissan RB30ET.....I know from experience that the RB30ET is a bloody heavy (infact all RB's are) motor, however it doesn't sound correct.

Back on topic, I think the new VXR looks fab....it really does. I love the tail lights. However it sadly won't be G-O-D, I just wish it was 75% the size....I live 2Km's from the Holden plant and see VE's virtually everyday and my only complaint is the size of the damn thing....uh....

Here is a short review from Richard hammond

HOLDEN SHOT
Aussie supercar is thrusting powerhouse for ?35,000

IT'S got a Vauxhall badge on it and you can buy it at a Vauxhall dealership, but it's not a Vauxhall. It's actually a Holden.

Just as the Germans and other mainland Europeans have Opels and we have Vauxhalls, the Australians get Holdens - all are branches of the giant General Motors family.

So Down Under, where this mad motor was born, it's the Holden Commodore Clubsport R8.

But we'd better call it the Vauxhall VXR8 or the people from Luton will torch my house for messing up their brand messages.

Anyway, now we've got its identity sorted, let's have a look at the VXR8.

And there is one key fact. This is the most powerful car you can buy in Britain for 35 grand - well, ?35,105 to be exact.

Underneath the bonnet is a six-litre V8 engine that's also used in the Chevrolet Corvette sports car. It's simple, big, will never break, has 411bhp and sounds absolutely fantastic - especially with the optional ?1,150 sports exhaust system.

I sat in it in the drive just revving the engine until my wife came outside to tell me I was scaring the dogs and that I was meant to be going to the shops.

Because the VXR8 has the level of performance that would seriously bother a BMW M5 or Audi RS6 - it's limited to 155mph and does 0-60mph in 4.9sec - you start thinking of the car as a genuine rival to these German super-saloons.

And if you do, you get a bit of a disappointment when you get climb inside the Vauxhall.

The seats are sexy buckets that hold you in place and the steering wheel is thick-rimmed and sporty, but the dashboard and the rest of the interior looks dull and plasticky.

Then you remember that this car costs almost half the price of an M5 - and you let it off.

If you own a TVR and have just heard that a stork will soon be making a delivery to your house then the VXR8 is your motor. Like a TVR it's a bit crude but again, like a TVR, it's very easy to have a great time in it.

Instead of the fancy seven-speed semi-automatic gearbox that's fitted to the BMW M5, the Vauxhall has got an old fashioned manual gearbox with a lever and a clutch pedal.

The engine has been tweaked to make it more driveable - which means that it pulls better from low revs and that you can drive it everywhere in third gear, even pulling out of junctions. If you're a motor sport addict with satellite telly, you might have seen racing in Australia called V8 Supercars.

Australia doesn't make many different types of cars. Two, in fact.

The Holden Commodore and the Ford Falcon. The V8 Supercars is a gloriously noisy scrap between Ford and Holden. It's a great spectacle, but the good thing is that some of the racing know-how has rubbed off on the road cars.

The VXR8 handles really well, has accurate steering and is fitted with enormous red painted brake callipers that work as well as they look.

If you hit a big bump in the road you can feel the whole car shake, but it never feels like you're going to lose grip.

But the VXR8 is already a bit of a dinosaur. If you drive it gently - and if you are the sort of person who drools over a 411bhp rear-wheel drive saloon then it is unlikely that "gently" will be the word - the VXR8 will do about 15mpg.

Not a car to arrive in at tomorrow's Live Earth concert.

The Facts

Vauxhall VXR8
Four-door saloon
Price: ?35,105
Engine: 6.0-litre V8, 411bhp
0-60mph: 4.9sec
Fuel consumption: 15.3mpg

The Rivals

Chrysler SRT8 - Another performance star from abroad. Bit crude but 425bhp V8 does the business. ?39,040
BMW M5 - Amazing V10 engine has 500bhp. Very sophisticated car but extra money doesn't actually bring more fun. ?64,495
Audi S6 - Engine is from Lamborghini and sounds amazing. As mad as the VXR8 but posher. And another twenty grand. ?55,375

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/motori...objectid=19413192&siteid=89520-name_page.html

------------------------------------------------------------

i think he likes it :D