What I need to know to buy an BMW 525tds E34?

das_thunder

Car(s)
Honda CIVIC EK4 VTI 1998 (Opel Corsa A 1.2S carb.)
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a car! I'm looking for an BMW 525tds E34! Why? Because I think it's a good car (beside it's years) and I see lot of them making some like 400.000 km or more!

But I'd like to collect some information about it!
So what are the strong and weak points of the car? Which are the common problems? For the owners (and friends of owners) of this model which problems you allready had with him? What was the cost of that repair? Consumptions (maximum and minimum? Performance? Braking?
Well every information would be cool... Post pictures, post everything that you remember about this model and with this motorization, specially everything that has to have with it's reliability!

Here's a picture of one:
http://img327.imageshack.**/img327/7812/dsc014210gs.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry I can't help with any info on that specific model, and I doubt that many people here would be able to either. For specific info like this, you're probably better off posting on a BMW specific forum!

Nice looking car though, I love the E34's.

Nice way to go Diesel. As long as you're going to be driving a diesel, might as well do it in style! :D
Exactly. Go to Google and type in "bimmerforums" I believe they are one of the best sites as far as information.

That site is full of arrogant morons. I think the difference between many of it's members and Honda ricers is they either A) have a bit more cash flow or B) Chose a BMW for the badge.

Sadly I can't name a better site since I haven't looked into the 5 series (especially the diesels as they are unavailable here).

That site is full of arrogant morons. I think the difference between many of it's members and Honda ricers is they either A) have a bit more cash flow or B) Chose a BMW for the badge.

Haha, good description there :lol: . I contend that yes that website has it's fair share of arrogant douches. But when I went through my BMW "WANT" faze, there seemed to be a lot of info there.

Of course, that's not the only BMW enthusiast site, hell there are probably sites dedicated to JUST the 5-er. I still think you best bet is going to Google and typing in words that fit your interest.

Every time I find a new car I want, I go there and type in "*car type here* forums". So just go try "5 series forums" or "5 series enthusiasts" and you're bound to find somthing

You might wanna try www.forum.e34.de . You should be able to get all the information there, although it's in german there are plenty of people (some I know personally) that will be happy to help you with any information. I only know the basics about the diesel, so. Let's put it that way, the tds is not the most reliable engine but for a diesel very smooth running. You also want to check the front axle since they tend to wear out after about 150000kms. Fuel consumption should be around 8-9l/100km. I guess rust won't be a big problem in Portugal?

If you need any further information feel free to PM me (I don't have much time right know, I need to go to work :()

Hi

Yes, I also posted this stuff in bimmer forums yesterday and I am expecting for responses from there too! Even though I think that on this forum there's a lot of bimmer fans and that could gave me some ideas!

Let's put it that way, the tds is not the most reliable engine but for a diesel very smooth running. You also want to check the front axle since they tend to wear out after about 150000kms. Fuel consumption should be around 8-9l/100km. I guess rust won't be a big problem in Portugal?

Well not being the most reliable is the worst thing I could hear! :( What I need is a reliable car... and since I saw machines with a lot of km's I guessed this was a very good engine! Let's say 8.5l/100km it would be (with the diesel price here of 1.078?) 9.20? for 100km! Quite expensive! :blink: And the machine here in Portugal will cost like 6000 to 8000? and with 180000km! Don't know it it's a good business! :?

Well, rust isn't such big problem! Perhaps the people who live more to the ocean side could have problems with humidity but nothing too hard! Does the E34 have rust problems, like in the wheel arches?

So the front axle gets to wear out! Well putting a new one would just make more 150000kms! Isn't there any other brand that makes strengthened front axles for this bimmer? And what's the cost of new ones at BMW?

Thanks

a friend drives one, that's simply the best rear seat i've ever sat on :D
but i've driven it a few times, and since i'm a big bmw fan, it hruts to say, but think it's a fucking boat. i wouldn't be able to live with such a big comfy car

he also has upwards of 300 000km, and hasn't had a single problem with the engine (his parents bought the car new when it came out)

Haha, good description there :lol: . I contend that yes that website has it's fair share of arrogant douches. But when I went through my BMW "WANT" faze, there seemed to be a lot of info there.

Of course, that's not the only BMW enthusiast site, hell there are probably sites dedicated to JUST the 5-er. I still think you best bet is going to Google and typing in words that fit your interest.

Every time I find a new car I want, I go there and type in "*car type here* forums". So just go try "5 series forums" or "5 series enthusiasts" and you're bound to find somthing

That forum was the reason my brother started a 318 specific forum (and it's quite big now I might add).. They kept saying the 318 was useless, and the way to get power was through the usual mods. On a 318 that doesn't work. And any time anyone asked for help with a 318 it was either bad/wrong info, or they just said "Go buy a 325."

Hi

Well, rust isn't such big problem! Perhaps the people who live more to the ocean side could have problems with humidity but nothing too hard! Does the E34 have rust problems, like in the wheel arches?

So the front axle gets to wear out! Well putting a new one would just make more 150000kms! Isn't there any other brand that makes strengthened front axles for this bimmer? And what's the cost of new ones at BMW?

Thanks

There are excellent aftermarket parts made by Meyle (I'll be glad to get them to you in case you need them), all parts for the front axle will be around 300?, at Bmw you might pay up to a 1000?.

Rust usually doen't appear in the wheel arches but at the fuel filler cap on the bottom, easily visible when opened. If thats the case, stay away from the car because it's rusting from the inside. Also pay close attention to the body right above the rear bumper or even remove the bumper, it usually starts to rust under there first. Bottom of the doors are another spot you might wanna check.

Here is an address of a goof webshop that provided me with all the necessary parts for the axles. Tehey have almost everything in stock for an e34.

http://www.car-parts24.eu/index.php/cat/c6_5er--E34-.html

Did you consider a petrol e34, too? Usually they are much more reliable and not much more expensive to run.

Thanks SKR. It's really those things that I'd like to know! Any more off this stuff would be cool!

Only mother fu****. 1000? for the front axle! It's better to go get another bimmer like this at Germany! :mrgreen: But I have some discounts because I've got a friend who works at the BMW mother home here in Portugal! Even tough really expensive!

Oh yes, I saw the figures for a petrol: price tag of 3500 to 5000? (around 175000km) and making around 9l/100km (saw that here
http://new-car-model.com/bmw/5_series/bmw_5_series_e34520_i_24v(1445)/)
For the 525 tds I saw that it makes 7l/100km of average!
http://new-car-model.com/bmw/5_series/bmw_5_series_e34525_tds(1451)/

Since you've said that makes 8-9l/100km I suspect that the 520i makes 9.5-10.5l/100km! Or not?
Even though, making some expenses of the costs with the specs on that links we see:

525tds%20vs%20520i.jpg

Well, after 61600km the diesel nail the petrol! And I do intend to make more 200000 km with the car, at least, after I bought it. So as we see I'll save about 6700? after that!
The taxes I figure that I make an average of 15000km per year and the tax is applied each year, this is every 15000km! But perhaps I'll do more km's per year or perhaps less!
Also I've made the expenses with the costs of combustible that is in the present here in Portugal! And with the petrol getting high things will be more ugly! Men, with this I realized that to make 200000 km with a petrol engine like this one we spend 24000? on combustible! That's a fuc**** new car!

Men I realize now that the tires are different. The 525 tds uses 205/65 R15 and the 520i 195/65 R15! Since the ones for the 525 tds are 20? more expensive (each one) it's need to spend more 80? each 60000-65000km on the 525tds! Even though with all this stuff I think that the 525tds is a better choice!
This all and I'm not counting with the difference of the maintenance fees between the diesel and the petrol one!

Last edited:
if it gets that car with the ugly white rims out of your signature then i'm all for it

LOL... Me too but the Corsa will never get out of my idea! For the rims they are grey, not white! ;)
Even though I've got plans for the Corsa!... 2.0 liter engine with 204bhp from the Calibra 4x4, coilovers, new braking system and chassis reenforcement! Like if it was a Group N machine! And I intend to reconstruct it by myself!

The bimmer that I think that I'm going to buy... well... I gonna to put some coilovers, let's see If I like the rims or else I'm gonna change it and with the problems they have in the front axle I need to reinforce it too! Ah and perhaps some Movit or Tarox brake system! We will see how the car comes to my hands and then will decide!

But this is how I'd like to put the bimmer:

07-22-03%20web%203.jpg

07-22-03%20web%202.jpg

A look M5!

Once you've bought and finished modding it, we might use it for the Finalgear short films we were planning.

Once you've bought and finished modding it, we might use it for the Finalgear short films we were planning.

Short films... Like what?... Crash tests?! <_<
It would be nice to see a crash test with this bimmer because I never saw one! Oh well I've saw one between a E34 and a Volvo on 5th Gear but the speed of them were huge (60 mph -> 100km/h)! Here's the video (but I think many people already saw it):

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOFY2kT5LqA[/YOUTUBE]

The Corsa I'd like to see it at a crash test too but I guess that the Corsa would vanish on the wall! You know... High quality crash engineering! :p
Well if I buy this bimmer and I need another for pieces I'll give this last one! Or perhaps... Doesn't anybody saw one of this E34 models abandoned on the streets? It can be used for a 5th Gear crash test! :|

Well, till now I've got this from here and from other spots for the E34 and it's tds:

:( "tds is not the most reliable engine"; "the tds engine is not a very durable one. it's an old swirl camber diesel, no common rail injection and so on, the 143hp from 2.5 liters are very much for that engine generation. the tds has enough faults already without being chipped."
:( "check the front axle since they tend to wear out after about 150000kms":
- repair: Meyle: 300?, at Bmw you might pay up to a 1000?.
:( "Fuel consumption should be around 8-9l/100km"; "it can go from 7.5/8 till 10/11! Depends on how heavy your foot is!", "At high speeds of 200km/h the consumption goes for 20l/100" - Looks like an Unimog :mrgreen:
:( "Rust at the fuel filler cap on the bottom -> rusting from the inside"
:( "Rust at the body right above the rear bumper or remove the bumper to see it"
:( "Rust bottom of the doors"
:( "Burnt the head joint 2 times (it was frequent on this engine)"
:( "The clutch from the 2nd generation has to be changed every 80.000 km because the mass of it would crack (perhaps it's a bad translation from spanish to english).
- repair: change for a normal clutch with plate and springs: 300?!
:( "Electrical problems... It would burn the bulbs 1-2 times a month!" "The inside lights would turn off phantasmagorically!" "Many electrical problems that fails with the weather!"
:( "The diesel injection pump (bad idle speed) is a piece of precision and relojoary. If it fu** up... Don't even dream on get it fixed"
- repair: "new one with a price of 2400?" - As I say it's better get a 525 tds in Germany for 1000? and then switch that piece!
:( "diesel pump in the fuel tank (engine runs only when the fuel tank is more than half filled)"
:( "One of the supports of the fuel tank get broken!"
- Repair: welding!
:( "The maintenance isn't properly cheap"
:( "I had to change the engine... I've get a new one on BMW with 260000km and it cost 4500?. After that it made more 80000km before I sold it"
:( "A car too heavy that will drag itself!"
:( "Oh,any vibration means engine mounts split,jack sump(block of wood) to test"

:mrgreen: "it's a fucking boat"

:) "It drives well, it eats well and it's very reliable, on the opposite of the 318tds"
:) "he also has upwards of 300 000km, and hasn't had a single problem with the engine"
:) "I've got a friend with a 525tds that has 600000 kms, the engine have never been opened and it still goes for 220km/h"
:) "the key to long life is good oil and frequent changes,if no proof walk away!"
:) "A very comfortable car!" -> But this doesn't matter! With the new coilovers it gets sticky and with the best ride!
:) "It has a braking system the best I've already tried in a car!"; "The most that surprise me was the brakes! Some friends get scaried... They would try to brake from their side of the passenger seat... But it was I who have the pedals!"

:hmm: "if you really want an unimpeachable diesel, take a Mercedes W124."

This is all I can get for now! But I'm guessing that's a luck after buy it! Even theres another problem with the drivers... They step in the car, get the key turn on and there we go! With those bimmer, and also with every diesel car with turbo in general, it should work a little before we step the gas! The same when we stop it! This is to get the turbo oiled properly, to don't have big differences between the inside temperature of the engine and the outside temperatures and also because the pressures of the engine! Then people say the engine will crack! But who does this thing on their diesels?

Ah I found here that this M51 engine can be changed to wear veganoil:

http://www.openhardware.de/mechatronics/bmw-m51-vegoil/index.html

Please continue posting problems and history's about this E34 please!

And about manuals... repair manuals or owner manuals about this E34?! Anyone knows?

Cumplz

Last edited: