Vehicles that fail...

This is a telegraph pole:
telegraph-pole.jpg

Doubtless he'll be straddling those wires one day, receiving shock therapy for all his moronic posts.

Doubtless he'll be straddling those wires one day, receiving shock therapy for all his moronic posts.

:lol:

I've tried the EOS and I still didn't like the interior. VW seems to make the world's most boring interiors. Not dodgeram ugly, but boring. I've just invented a new word :O

Audi R8 Autostick
The Autostick is a hybrid automatic trans that thinks and acts like its a manual... it has 3 gear positions...neutral, reverse and left. (thats right, it has a left...:retard: )

Side-wheel drive?

Don't have any US makes at work (they're all handled by private firms, not with companies like ours...don't know why)

Most of the foreign car companies run import operations in the New York area. Look at the US magazines and car shows and make note of all the New Jersey license plates.

For domestics, Detroit is still the center of gravity so firms like that in New York wouldn't get many of them.

The Si will rape your dodge anyday.

I guess "rape" is a relative term, boy racer. Sort of like a slow turtle getting raped by a slightly less slow turtle.

0-60 in 7 seconds, 1/4 mile in 15.25 seconds? Not excruciatingly slow but not fast by any means. I was excited by the 200hp claim but then realized how hollow it is with the claimed 139 lb/ft of torque, pretty gutless. At least it comes with a LSD, something most gutless FWD wannabe's don't have. I hear the Civic Si will rape school busses too.

The lower-end Civics are probably just as slow as the Big-Ass Dodge(tm).

Last edited:
I would just like to say, amidst all the yelling and finer pointing in this topic, I drove a MkV GTi and found it to be fun, peppy, and fully capable of shifting gears.

I 426 cubic inches of flexing Detroit muscle.

I never understood why people in the last 10 years would refer to it as "Detroit muscle" like Detroit is such a great place. Referring to a city that is in such dire straights as one third of it's population was living below poverty, population has dropped 6% each year since 2000, unemployment rate is nearly two times that of the national average, and they plan on closing 110 schools in the city itself. Eh whatever, ignorance is bliss.

Ok, you complain about clutches and trannys that have been abused by journalists? This list is then completely unreliable. I used to work at a VAG dealer, and I can tell you from all the test drives, moving cars in and out, and driving them to show them to clients the clutches, transmissions, throttle response (excpet the first CVT Audis) were great. That lag you mention in the S6/8 could be from the abuse they received, the torque converter feeling a little tired... (how many 0-top speed launches have these cars been through?)

The best tranny by far in these cars is the 6sp, either conventional or DSG.

And the 2.0t FSI goes like stink, and maximum torque is there at 1800 RPM, can't be guttless

Ah yes, but then you approach a corner, you turn the wheel to go round it and... NOTHING HAPPENS. You crash into a telegraph pole.

No comment. :rolleyes:

I never understood why people in the last 10 years would refer to it as "Detroit muscle" like Detroit is such a great place.

What? Cars of that era came from Detroit, the motor city of the time. Whether or not it's a shitheap now has little bearing on the cars' origins.

Detroit looks like crap for the most part.

That's a bit of a contradiction, you say that it has a bad clutch etc. and for that the car 'fails'. But then you say it's only bad because it has been abused?

I say it may be from abuse because I haven't really driven a brand new (like 4 miles on the odometer) Eos or GTI, ours have 17k or higher since VW doesn't care enough to replace the cars at a lower mileage. (Audi for example, gets rid of its cars from our fleet once they get over 10k miles). But by reading some of the other people posting up here agreeing with me about the VW transmission and clutches, I believe it's the car itself, not the abuse.

Ok, you complain about clutches and trannys that have been abused by journalists? This list is then completely unreliable. I used to work at a VAG dealer, and I can tell you from all the test drives, moving cars in and out, and driving them to show them to clients the clutches, transmissions, throttle response (excpet the first CVT Audis) were great. That lag you mention in the S6/8 could be from the abuse they received, the torque converter feeling a little tired... (how many 0-top speed launches have these cars been through?)

The best tranny by far in these cars is the 6sp, either conventional or DSG.

And the 2.0t FSI goes like stink, and maximum torque is there at 1800 RPM, can't be guttless

0-top speed launches I can't say, because I don't know (what would you do if you were given a S8 for the weekend?) However, I've been in these cars since they first arrived in our fleet, and they've constantly had the lag problem.

Even if the Eos and GTI's ranking was because of them being abused, it doesn't really matter. Like a regular automotive journalist, I was reviewing what I had at hand. Just like if a Journalist got a car that was actually down a cylinder (and not showing a CEL) they'd report that it'd ride rough and sucked in performace, no different than what I did.

And unless the manufacturer gets a copy of the review, they aren't going to care. But if they do get the review and see what they had to say about their product, that blame goes right on the company that supplied the car to the journalist.

Our cars have to be in perfect working order before they head out, any idiot light or unreported damage or if something breaks in transit, it doesn't go.

-Detroit Muscle- ...it simply sounds cool when put together.

What about US makes - good/Bad? You really should get a chance to drive some Euro Fords - great stuff, especially the transmission and handling on them.

right on fords 5spd is just the most precise thing i ever handled!

to be fair the 5spd in the tdi polo i had last week wasnt bad, just the gear knob was too short and too small.

i love my focus's gear box....you know exactly where it is, it glides effortlessly and precisely into the next gear and theres never any qualms about whether its in gear or not...you just know.

i agree on the VW's, i have never driven any of the ones you mention, though have been a passanger in a MK5 golf tdi and i had the pleasure of a polo tdi the other week, and i have to say.... i dont know why people bang on about VW quality because if im honest its no better than fords or vauxhalls

the plastics in the polo i had were rather natty, hard, cheap feeling...the interior design itself was just flat out boring, functional but boring, everything was this wierd dark grey. the radio felt especially cheap. its all nailed together well, there was no rattles, but the materials just sucked. inface the softtouch plastics in the ford focus an mondeo are much better.

i got the sense that the whole interior was just stamped out from a single piece of monotonous cheapo grey plastic.

dont even get me started on the engine, im guessing it was a 3cyl, least i hope it was because it was the most unrefiend, lumpy bag of spanners i ever heard. it shook the car at idle and wouldnt of been out of place on a massy ferguson forecourt. pure shit, it couldnt even make up for being terribly unrefined with some of that magic diesel pulling power....it was just gutless at all times.

Last edited:
If I may ask... Thoughts on the 100 Series Landcruiser, if you've had one though?

The Si will rape your dodge anyday.

:rolleyes: That is a really intelligent respsonse. Taking a page from JC now, eh? Comparing totally different cars that were never meant to compete? I fail to understand a lot of people on this site random attacks on Moparman. I know he has said a lot of stupid shit and has majorly different oppinions from most of the people on this site. But when you respond to him like that, it makes you look just as retarded.

VW Touareg

I disagree. VW managed to make a good looking car with that platform, while Audi and Porsche made frankly two of the worst looking cars of the century so far.

GTI has a great box. Stalling it at the lights=epic fail. Not the car itself.

VW Touareg

I disagree. VW managed to make a good looking car with that platform, while Audi and Porsche made frankly two of the worst looking cars of the century so far.

GTI has a great box. Stalling it at the lights=epic fail. Not the car itself.

I agree the Touareg looks better than the Q7, but in actual driving time it falls short on every front.

The Suspension is rather crude and takes forever to set it up right, the seats will start to make your back sore after a half hour in them, and the Navigation system is one of the worst ever devised.

Audi's Q7 is the exact opposite of the Touareg in every category...hell I'm even starting to like the way they look....