Philippines President to Crush Smuggled Ferrari, Lambhorgini, Porsches and BMWs

Yes, re-register them and sell them to the general public - no need to crush. State get badly needed funds and some cool cars are saved from state "vandalism". There must be a reason why not tho'. Wonder what it is?

/EDIT OK - I see the point there - how about, try to find the original owner and claim a finders fee from their insurance company, if not then sell them.

Why should the government go to all that expense and trouble? Crushing is far easier and cost effective. Spectacular too!

Unless the number of cars that are brought in and, more importantly, caught I'd wager just a couple of people could get the vin numbers and call or fax these companies.

Most of that shit gets put in a computer anyway, when a list gets big enough to fax or e-mail, send it off to the company. Granted this is the government we are talking about but c'mon...

yeah selling stolen cars is real good? would you feel the same if your car had been stolen and someone else bought it for cheap in another country?

I don't see Beckham crying over his lost X5 being used as some Government Officials Car.

^ Yeah, but thats because the X5 is worth less than one week of Beckham's salary

On the topic though, why would you crush them, couldn't you at least try to return them to their owners, IMO it looks like they're taking after the Americans

On a side note: Wouldn't it be crap if you saw a Porsche Carrera GT get crushed all because of a person from a country (in this case) that largely doesn't give a crap about cars.

I can just imagine how they decided to crush these cars

Employee: We've just busted a large amount of priceless cars

PM: I want to send a strong signal of my power to the smugglers, Crush them !

Employee: Couldn't we just return them to the owners or manufacturers

PM: No !

Employee: But they're priceless

PM: I don't give a crap about these priceless cars that everyone hates to see destroyed.

Employee's mind: Ugh Nevermind, He's a lost cause.

Last edited:
Do what we Americans do: Seizure Auctions!! Us Customs I think is entirely funded by selling Shelbys and Lambos from Drug Dealers.

Hey, the Philippines was a former US colony; some of our culture should've rubbed off on them!!

Remonde said the President ordered a stop to the old customs practice of auctioning off smuggled cars since these usually ended up being bought by the smugglers.

?When you put these cars to auction, the buyers are the smugglers themselves. The President wants the smugglers to lose their funds and send a strong signal against smuggling,? Remonde said.

l2read, kthnx :p

well if they do not want to sell them in their own country, why not sell them somewhere else, or ship them off to the manufacturers at a 50% discount, I mean better to get some money at least, right?

On the topic though, why would you crush them, couldn't you at least try to return them to their owners, IMO it looks like they're taking after the Americans

I agree with most of what you're saying, but what do you mean by that little bit? Most of the cars seized by American authorities are either a) used by the authorities; or b) auctioned off once the vehicle in question is no longer "evidence".

That's exactly the M.O. in these smuggling cases. Import taxes are insanely high.
i taking a guess at this but i think when the article talks about smuggling cars, the cars might not actually be stolen. i know most asian countries have really high tariffs on luxury or cars in general. yet some places have lower tariffs and such so i think the cars are being bought in these favourable countries and then smuggled into the Philippines to be sold at a nice discount. just a thought...

That's exactly the M.O. in these smuggling cases. Import taxes are insanely high.

I love forums... people can claim things, complain and argue about them and within seconds someone can disprove all the nonsense made by those fools...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Auctioning the cars off, doesnt work in a rather poor country, simply because there are very few buyers who can afford those cars and those know the consequences when they bid against certain people. ;) Selling them oversee would be a better solution though...:rolleyes:

I love forums... people can claim things, complain and argue about them and within seconds someone can disprove all the nonsense made by those fools...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well you know what they say "Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!" and thats what we did (I based my post on others about the stealing of cars).

I agree with most of what you're saying, but what do you mean by that little bit? Most of the cars seized by American authorities are either a) used by the authorities; or b) auctioned off once the vehicle in question is no longer "evidence".

I don't really know what you mean by "that little bit" because I didn't say "that little bit" anywhere in that post.

Last edited: