Hard drive failure

awdrifter

I think one of my Western Digital drive just died. I used it as an external hdd, so it's not even on most of the time. After I connect it to the comp (through USB), it didn't show up as it normally would, so I took it out of the external case and tried it on another comp, it doesn't even spin up when I plug in the power. Does this mean the drive is dead? Is there anyway to get the data from it? Thanks.

Sounds like it RIP. Do the obvious things like swap out the leads and do a careful visual inspection.

I think that there are data recovery firms but this service is expensive it would really need to be worth it. Go Googling to see if you can get one at a reasonable price.

Well, the drive just contains music and videos, so I can just re-aquire them. I tried it on two different comps, so I guess there's really nothing much I can do.

Another loss for Western Digital, may you never buy their products again. Seagate FTW!

This is my first WD failure. I had a Maxtor failed also. Right now I still have a few WD drives, 1 Seagate, 1 Samsung, 1 Maxtor and 2 Hitachi drives.

Another loss for Western Digital, may you never buy their products again. Seagate FTW!

Never had a WD, but I owned one of those cursed IBM drives that had to be lowlevelformatted on a frequent basis...

BTW, if you wanna save the drive, try lowlevel formatting. If you have very important data, you could try putting it in the freezer, it should work for a bit afterwards. NOT A JOKE. I did it and a couple of my friends as well... Dunno why it works, though.. Just make sure there is no condensed water anywhere...

BTW, if you wanna save the drive, try lowlevel formatting. If you have very important data, you could try putting it in the freezer, it should work for a bit afterwards. NOT A JOKE. I did it and a couple of my friends as well... Dunno why it works, though.. Just make sure there is no condensed water anywhere...

Say what? If it wasn't for your healthy FFDShow addiction and the postcount I would have said you're joking. :blink:

/edit
The story seems to check out: http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html

Other recovery tips:
http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2005/12/hard-drive-recovery-utilities-when-you.html

Last edited:
^ Come on... I' german, I don't joke around;-)
Would only use it in external drives, though. Too afraid to connect it directly to the mobo...

Thanks. I will freeze the hdd and give it a shot.

Use an antistatic plastic bag and close it well!

I put it in the anti-static bag, taped the openings, and then use some plastic food wraps to wrap it a few times then put it in the freezer this morning, I'll try and see if it worked tonight.

I never had luck with the freezer tactic.....or with WD drives for that matter :(

Seagate is the way to go, IMO.

One of mine died, well everything shows up but nothing is accesible... it had every Gumball video on it too. :(

I've seen all makes of drives die. Right now Maxtors are crap with Seagate leading and WD behind them. It just really depends on each and every drive.

Just tried it, the freezing didn't fix it. Oh well, it's just music and videos.

I think one of my Western Digital drive just died.
Based on who makes I could tell it was dead :p
Is there anyway to get the data from it? Thanks.

You might be able to switch out the circuit board and have it work, but I doubt it, I'd wager the motor just burned up in it.

Find an exact duplicate (model number and capacity) and setup a make shift clean room, bathrooms work well, pull the drive apart and swap with the replacement unit. I'd copy the data off once it's fired up and then trash it.

I highly recommend testing on a couple of really old and cheap/free drives.

A bit more detail can be found here http://www.hackaday.com/2005/11/17/hard-drive-resurrection/