FSAE... who's part of it?

Hi there,

I'm part of the FHM Racing Team, Munich, as you can see.
I'm co-leader of the Electrics team.

Some facts:

Chassis: Carbon fiber monocoque w/ seperateable cf engine bay
Suspension: Front and rear pushrod actuated double wishbone w/ air-springs
Transmission: Stock 6-Speed Gearbox, elector-pneumatic actuatuated w/ ignition cut-off unit
Diffenretial: LSD
Engine: Honda CBR 600 F
Weigth: 230kg

CIMG5658.JPG

CIMG5614.JPG

SA_Alm_0561_neu.jpg

Last edited:
I really liked your car :) How did you afford the Bosch? I heard they're about 5000Euros! You achieved what we were trying to do with your intake too. Our rapid prototyper managed to break his machine though so we never got it done :( Would have been interesting to see if the thing had worked!

I really liked your car :)
Well thanks, I'll forward that to our designer.
Actually you'll most likely get to see it once again. We plan to race the British FSAE next year with this car.

How did you afford the Bosch? I heard they're about 5000Euros!
Well we got it cheaper since we are actually the first ones using this ecu and they use us as a test bed for all the updates for it. Still we had to swipe our bank account clean of what was left of the sponsorship money at that time.

You achieved what we were trying to do with your intake too. Our rapid prototyper managed to break his machine though so we never got it done :( Would have been interesting to see if the thing had worked!
Sounds familiar. Our monocoque almost never happened, since the sponsor who was supposed to pay the molds canceled the deal last minute. In the end we managed to get our own tuition fees to pay for them (lucky that they've been introduced this semester).

I don't think my school has an FSAE team, but I've ALWAYS wanted to be involved in a build like that. My school is a small state funded school however, so I don't think it's in the cards, sadly.

It's surprising to see what you guys spend on the build, considering I've seen old FSAE cars and chassis for sale for VERY cheap. I've often thought about picking one up for a track whore.

It's surprising to see what you guys spend on the build, considering I've seen old FSAE cars and chassis for sale for VERY cheap. I've often thought about picking one up for a track whore.
We'll most of the time you've got to build a new car every year, I think people sell them off cheap to raise money for the new car. We've never even had that luxury, we'll use our old car for practice then cannibalize it for parts when our budget dries up lol. It even got to the point were we scrapped an old steel frame for the money last year :cry:. Having one for a personal track toy would be the shit though.

I was a member of the 2006 FSAE Team for UTA (University of Texas-Arlington)

We had an aero car with a Honda CBR 250 with a turbo that revved to 20k!

We competed in California in 2006 but our engine blew up during brake testing, :(

We managed 4th in design though.

Here's a picture of us with a team from Sweden, I can't remember what part they were from. After a year my mind's fuzzy. We're the team on the right.

FSAEWest6-16-2006Alex095.jpg

Fantastic thread! I like those things a lot and I'm really considering entering to my uni's team. Of course, our budget is a lot smaller but what really matters is the effort to build the car. Here's some pics of my uni's vehicles, though I did not take part in any of them:

Formula%20SAE%20Icarus%20UFRJ%202006%20(10).jpg

Formula%20SAE%20Icarus%20UFRJ%202006%20(15).jpg

All else being equal, how big an effect does having aero work on a car have? Aren't the speeds too low for that to be that big a deal?

For the past, oh 5-6 years, our advisor has insisted on it. We have a BIG advantage when a course has sweepers. However, in recent years alot of the events have featured low speed courses so our advantage was limited. It may be a passive way to discourgae aero cars. There are some "conspiracy theories" about it, mostly that officials aren't fond of our advisor and "take it out" on the team by making low speed courses. I don't put much stock into it though. All in all though we weighed in at 420ish pounds??? I cant remember exactly could be more or less. My role was building the composite sections, wings, undertray, wheels, steering wheel, etc.

In 2005, I wasn't part of the team then, but our 05 car won the Japanese event.

Are most of you guys who are on these teams mechanical/aerospace engineering students? Or does it cover a broader scope of people?

Nope. Because there's a heap of a lot more than just building and running the car. You need somebody who can deal with the official stuff and who can run the club, ie knows about the laws and stuff (usually the teams are clubs), you need somebody to keep the finances in check, somebody who can deal with sponsors, somebody for recruiting, a public relations team, and of course a team of people for the business and cost events.

I used to be Engine Leader of the University of Guelph FSAE team.

First and only successful 4WD car of the competition ;)

Just joined these forums today. I used to be a member of RMIT Racing. I now work for one of those companies causing the worldwide shortage of CF.

Just joined these forums today. I used to be a member of RMIT Racing. I now work for one of those companies causing the worldwide shortage of CF.

Who do you work for and where do you get your carbon?

I was a member of the 2006 FSAE Team for UTA (University of Texas-Arlington)

We had an aero car with a Honda CBR 250 with a turbo that revved to 20k!

We competed in California in 2006 but our engine blew up during brake testing, :(

We managed 4th in design though.

Here's a picture of us with a team from Sweden, I can't remember what part they were from. After a year my mind's fuzzy. We're the team on the right.

FSAEWest6-16-2006Alex095.jpg

I'll be on the team next year...hopefully driving :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

I could be wrong but I think that is Chalmers with you guys in that picture. Nicely turned out car. BTW, 20k rpm is insane! in a good way :)

How's everyone's cars going? We're getting there. Got chassis part built, exhaust is off being made by one of our sponsors and a load of other stuff being laser cut. Hopefully we can keep the momentum going!

Hey, was just wondering who else is in a FSAE team?
Im part of the Uni. of Western Australia team, and work on the chassis...

Hey DenDens, you still part of the UWA team this year?

If so, I'm in the paddock right next to you.