Frankfurt Preview: Saab Turbo X (turbo)charges in

I've never really understood why some people cream their pants over sporty Saabs. It has 2.8L and a turbo, yet it can only manage 280hp? The Mazdaspeed 6 makes 274hp from a 2.4L turbo, is also AWD, is about the same size, and is $7,000 cheaper than the 9-3 Aero (I'm guessing the Turbo X will be even more expensive). I mean, it looks nice and all, but I can't shake the feeling that it's way overpriced and overhyped for what it is. :|

I'm sorry, but if I'm going to fork over the extra cash for a fast swedish sedan, it'd be for the S60R. At least then the key would go in the right place. :p

I like it, but that could just be the black on black get up.

One thing i've never understood about Saabs is that they're all FWD, dating back to their first models (correct me if i'm wrong here).

Is Saab the anti-BMW and thinking that RWD is the creation of satan? :lol:

@car not bad, but I think i'd go for an old 900 Turbo too. Much more charm than this.

RWD, especially in old days without TC, ESP and such was accident ready to happen in winter countries. In old paper ad's it was big advantage(to have fwd) pointed out load.

Also RWD took more weight and bit poorer fuel economy.

Somewhere in the 80's Saab realised that engine power was getting so big that they needed rear pull too but due to financial realities it took THIS LONG.

2008, but time was well spend, I already years ago studied Saab's patents about this matter and it seems they have best all-around awd for the time being. Even awd Porsche fails to make so fast quick style turns.

Horsepower number isnt breath taking, but I havent seen torque graph yet. I'm sure Saab is saving its bigger guns for next generation 9-5 and for later days of present 9-3. And its family sedan after all.

I think the new redesign of the 9-3 looks great, despite my belief that it should be a 5 door. I owned a 2000 SAAB 9-3 (in black of course) and i have to say it was an experience. SAAB's have a way that makes you feel like you are flying an over powered donkey. The power of a Clydesdale converted to the front tires followed by a huge bubble that could pack more Mexicans that the Alamo.

I would squire people to the bars who would say wow this is really luxurious and i took it on a rally and thought wow Im surprised the ass knows to move with the car. I know that some will say "its not hugely powerful, its not overtly luxurious, its not Audi, BMW, Merc." Well its SAAB you never know till you drive it for a weekend.

SAAB's Stationwagons are a lot better looking than their sedans. The Backend is.. Unfortunate if you ask me. But the front is beautiful!