Top Gear test track to be in Gran Turismo 5

the Interceptor

I LUV MY PRIUS!!!
Car(s)
VW Diesel of Death
I already posted this in the GT5 Prologue thread, but what the hell, this is too important (and not about Prologue anyway):
Top Gear to provide content for download via GT TV?

Tokyo, October 24 2007 ? Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) and Polyphony Digital, Inc., the creators of the best-selling racing franchise, Gran Turismo?, today announced a collaboration with BBC Worldwide that will allow BBC?s Top Gear programme to be downloaded through Gran Turismo TV (GT TV?) on PLAYSTATION?3 (PS3?).

GT TV, a dedicated online channel packed with the latest news and content from the motoring world, will launch worldwide on PLAYSTATION?Network in 2008. BBC Worldwide will provide 40 episodes of Top Gear, the award-winning BBC television series about motoring for download.

In addition, the Top Gear Test Track ? the track featured each week on the show, where host Jeremy Clarkson and the Top Gear team test the latest cars ? will be replicated in Gran Turismo 5 (GT5) on PS3.

For the first time in a racing game, players will be able to burn rubber and experience every white knuckle, hairpin turn on the Top Gear Test Track for themselves.

?We at Polyphony are great fans of the world?s best motoring programme, Top Gear, so we?re delighted to be collaborating with BBC Worldwide to deliver Top Gear content via Gran Turismo,? said Kazunori Yamauchi, President, Polyphony Digital, ?We?re sure that players will be as thrilled as we are when they get the chance to put their own driving skills to the test on the Top Gear Test Track in GT5, as well as enjoying classic episodes of Top Gear via GT TV.?

Simon Danker, Director, Digital Media, BBC Worldwide commented, ?BBC Top Gear is the world?s number one motoring media brand and we?re thrilled to make it accessible to Gran Turismo gamers. We continue to explore different avenues to share our content with an expanding audience, and are delighted to participate with Polyphony Digital in the launch of this exciting new opportunity.?
Source: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99359

EDIT: Here's the appropriate press release from Topgear.com
Top Gear on GT5

Our inbox will be relieved at least. Not a day goes by without somebody firing us a note saying either they - or their amazing old Capri - can lap the TG test track faster than Stig. Next year, on Playstation 3, you'll be able to find out.
Top Gear has hooked up with Sony to make our iconic test track part of Gran Turismo 5. And as an office with the permanent distraction of a Playstation 2, race seat, force-feedback wheel and a copy of the current GT4, it's the best news we've had since Alonso missed out on the F1 championship.
The latest iteration of the GT series will also be fully online - and, alongside lapping the TG circuit, players will be able to download classic episodes of Top Gear via a dedicated motoring channel called Gran Turismo TV on the Playstation network.
So, how long do we have to wait? As with previous versions of the game a scaled-down prologue will come first with around 10 tracks and 60 cars. This will feature the Top Gear TV content but not the TG track. There's no official word on when this is due, but we're expecting it to hit the UK around Spring next year.
The full version of the game is due to arrive around Christmas 2008 and, again, details are yet to be confirmed. We have been told to expect around 900 cars and, of course, our track.
We'll obviously keep you posted on the development of the game, but in the meantime check out our guide to the TG track to find out exactly what you'll be letting yourself in for.

Last edited:
Awesome.

D'oh, and I already promised myself not to download any of that expensive additional stuff if I should get a PS3. Couldn't there already be a version of that track built by somebody in a game like Trackmania or something like that?

This is great news. Might give some celebs an advantage before they do their laps for real ;)

That is absolutely fantastic news!! Just one more reason to get a PS3! :thumbsup:

This is epic! I wonder if it'll be in wide screen format. And by that I don't mean HD, just the aspect ratio.

Just get rFactor and mod it. ;) And I have TG test track mod on GTR2, tho it's quite crappy. Still I managed to go around a second faster in a Maserati MC12 than DBR9 did. :)

Anyway, Gran Turismos are awesome games, I'm looking forward to play it even though I don't have a Playstation myself.

Fucking wankers.
Now I have to save up to buy a PS3.

Yeah! I'm really glad now that i own a PS3!

This is gold, now i cant wait till GT5.

Anyone know how the GT TV thing will work?

Too bad the PS3 is ridiuculoulsy high priced. Has it dropped below $500?
No, but I suppose it will. As it seems, this track will not be in GT5 Prologue, only in the full game, which is due for the end of 2008 (for the ones who don't know Polyphony release dates: that means 2009 earliest). Until then, the PS3 will be significantly cheaper I guess.

Wow!
Last week I was playing GT4 in Tsukuba and thinking that it would be lots of fun to have the3 Top Gear test track.
As if I didn't already lusted after GT5.

They just announced a 40 GB PS3 for $399 in the US. Man, between GT5 and F1 games being only on Playstation, now I really need to get one. This sucks.