The DMotor Subtitle Project [Check first post for links]

Still waiting for the final proof-read before release.

There is bad news however, due to the declining interest we decided not to continue with the project. Download numbers have steadily declined for each episode up to the point where we can't justify spending the required amount of time for a dozen or so viewers. Sorry for the few people who enjoyed the subs, but unless interest unexpectedly picks up, I guess the only hope is that a TV station picks it up with English subs or dubs.

There is bad news however, due to the declining interest we decided not to continue with the project. Download numbers have steadily declined for each episode up to the point where we can't justify spending the required amount of time for a dozen or so viewers. Sorry for the few people who enjoyed the subs, but unless interest unexpectedly picks up, I guess the only hope is that a TV station picks it up with English subs or dubs.

That's bad news indeed, nothing that can make you reconsider? I've really enjoyed your subs and hope you decide to continue. The whole team has done a great job.

Download numbers don't have to tell the whole picture, as the subs are uploaded to the various ftp servers etc, so not everyone download them from the torrents. There's probably people sharing them amongst themselves in other ways as well, so I'm pretty certain that there are more people watching than the number of downloads from bittorrent.

I believe the main problem is the number of people knowing about it. If more knew about the show and the subs more people would download it as well. Maybe a new post about it on the finalgear frontpage would help? There's probably a small percentage of the site's total number of users that actually spend time on the forums.

I downloaded the subs from a ftp and shared them via email with about 40 people. Please continue!

I would be glad to send some money via paypal fro your efforts. And I`m sure others would do the same.

Please continue!

I have also shared the subs with a couple of friends through IM/Email

These subs are a huge help to many people. Please keep it up.

Are you sure you are not underestimating the amount viewers?
For Ep 38 my ratio was 16

Could be a good idea to upload the next subs to a tracker that keep track of the number of downloads, It won't show the downloads from 95's FTP but at least you will get a more accurate view of the amount of viewers.
Even better would be a direct download with a counter.

Last edited:
Yea, i downloaded through the episodes and subs through ftp as well. It would be a bit more convenient for me. Please continue your effort. i really appreciate that.

Episode 41 proof-read still has not arrived, guess I have to do it myself.

Seeing the response so far, I am not sure what the actual viewer numbers are. The only source I have is my share ratio and download numbers from the torrents (e.g. Episode 40, snatched 14 times) and the response in this thread, which have steadily declined. Email/FTP might have better numbers, but that's hard to confirm (checking with 95).

Less than one hundred regular viewers are just not enough motivation for me to dedicate most of my spare time to the project. Maybe a Poll/Petition (with confirmation function) would give us some form of semi-reliable numbers.

I'll gladly try to revive the project if it turns out I am wrong. I did have plans for a team website to better organize the work, recruiting more volunteers so the old episodes can be done as well, maybe even a legal permission from Motorvision (yeah right :lol:, I guess no answer to the first email is still better than a negative response).

Now that Fifth Gear is off the air I need another fix or else :blowup: So this looks like a great show. The problem is that when this Top Gear season ends....

I'll gladly try to revive the project if it turns out I am wrong. I did have plans for a team website to better organize the work, recruiting more volunteers so the old episodes can be done as well, maybe even a legal permission from Motorvision (yeah right :lol:, I guess no answer to the first email is still better than a negative response).

one thing I've noticed from #gear IRC is that there are a few who have just completely ignored the show, regardless of subs, perhaps we can make a better attempt to get people to watch.

Might I also suggest skipping some of the less entertaining episodes? Then again lately it seems they've all been pretty good.

make a poll if you want.

I alone have shaerd the subs with over 40 people.

If you need people that know English (well, some Polish too, but that's even more useless for this) to proof-read, I can help with that - if you decide to continue the project.

I have also downloaded the subs from ftp server. Please consider that it's a new show for the most of us and the interest will grow every month. Keep up guys !!!