New Vector...

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
Here it is:
Pics

and the story: Vector Avtech VX-8 HPV

Ugly! The original W8 was stunning this is just ugly. It kind of resembles the body of a Zonda with the front of a Supra/Camaro. I almost fell out of my chair, laughing when I saw the CLAIMED top speed - 270mph! No way!

Wow, hard to believe Vector is still around. IIRC, they had America's first supercar; it was terrible, but it was something, at least.

Jayhawk, they aren't "still around" they did die. I read a story on it, it's kind of confusing but basically the original owner some how maintained enough rights to the name(s) to use them again.

I foresee this going down in history the same way the old ones did... with 4 people buying them, and few remembering who they are.

I'll wait for official photos to make a comment on the looks but the rest sounds interesting.

I'm going to withhold judgment on this car until some definitive performance specs and official photos come out, but I'm interested in it. Will it have the dashboard which has just one or two fewer switches than a 747?

[youtube]NyC3XEXuJRM[/youtube]

The W8 was rare and had a cool dash, but it also had a 3-speed automatic and was ridiculously expensive.

I'll wait for official photos to make a comment on the looks but the rest sounds interesting.

kind of like this.....
vectorwx8---1.jpg

vectorwx8---6.jpg

it is quite ugly, but its still in prototype stage. Vector is predicting that this might take as long as when the Veyron was being developed or even longer.

oh and also......

here's a bit of info on the official engine specs taken from LA 2007:

Secondly, besides that 7.0L V8 with its twin-turbo setup, there will also be an optional upgrade to a single whippled marine mill that should pump out somewhere north of 750 HP. If that seems too tame, you can opt for a twin-supercharged version that promises a whopping 1850 HP (!). The performance stats for that one are listed as 0-60 in 2.5, the quarter in a superbike-like 10.0, and a top speed of 275 MPH+. Well, that plus sign after the 275 can make it 300 MPH with Bonneville gearing, according to Vector. By the time this thing reaches production, we wouldn't doubt claims of 3,000 HP and 400 MPH knowing Vector. And as a slightly veiled slap at a certain super-Lambo displayed just on the other side of the wall, there is a huge photo of an F-22 Raptor behind the Vector to remind us of the inspiration and aeromotive engineering behind it. No pricing or production dates were announced though, so stay tuned.

so yes ahpadt, its VERY possible to reach those speeds with over 1800hp.

I wonder what kind of Voodoo they plan to use to put that power down. Can an LS block (I thought I read thats what this thing uses) even handle that much power?

Can an LS block (I thought I read thats what this thing uses) even handle that much power?

well its obviously not gonna be a stock block. kinda like how the Koenigsegg CCR's 4.6L isn't stock, but they still called it the Mustang's engine.

but yeah, the new LSX block is capable of 2000hp.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks it looks pretty cool.

However, it will have terrible steering, terrible feel, a terrible gearbox, it will break everytime the day ends with a "Y", the company will go out of business within a week so you're then on your own with the servicing, if Vector are really lying it will try to hit its top speed but do an SSC and claim 270 but fall 20mph short and if Vector are only misleading then it will hit its claimed top speed but will only do it once ever and anyone else that tries it will die unless they own their own salt flats, everytime you think of the accelerator the half-arsed under developed traction control will fail and you'll turn all rubber on your wheels into smoke without going anywhere, it will have an interior that feels like a pez dispenser, it will squeek and rattle constantly, it will have a steering wheel gear knob and seatbelts from an aftermarket tuning catalogue and nobody will be able to pick up replacement headlights for their Supra ever again beacuse Vector will have been around all the part dealers in the world buying them to use in this.

Want to bet against me?

W8 twinturbo> this bastard child of supra and camaro.

I wonder what kind of Voodoo they plan to use to put that power down. Can an LS block (I thought I read thats what this thing uses) even handle that much power?

Yes.

I think the main reason its so ugly is because they finally ran out of 60s Alfa Romeo concept cars to copy`design elements from :)

Alfa_Romeo_Carabo_1968_Thum.jpg

alfa_romeo_bertone_navajo_1976_concept_car.jpg

Supercar_Alfa_Romeo_Iguana_Thum.jpg

all fooling aside i actually did like the over the top look of old vectors, this one just looks like they ripped the headlights off a Toyota Supra and stuck it on a not really trying hard good enough body :(

Now where have I seen that design before?

[youtube]OzkHDE5ahRo[/youtube]

What the bloody hell is this? It's even uglier than the new vector.

Back to the Vector. 1850bhp - yeah right! Suppose the block could produce so much hp, how are they going to cool it down? The original Vector W8 had huge cooling problems. We all know what it takes the Buggati engine to cool down and it is "only" 1000bhp. This will be a failure.

Offtopic: Woohoo this movie the Wraith features Dodge Daytonas :p

Last edited:
^ I have to admit that I watched the whole youtube clip. That's such a good example of a bad 80's movie. I have to see it one day. :lol: