What happened to lightweight, simple and fun cars?

if you need the 4 seats i would get a E30 BMW and modify it to hell, theirs lots of very literate and technical sites for old BMWs, probably one of the few cars that you can almost be sure won't turn out to be a waste of money.

This is assuming you don't have the time or expertise for a old Alfa GTV, or don't want to follow the anime crowd and their ae86s.

The S13/14/15 is a fun car from what i've read, but its not super light, acceptable though

i still like the M5 idea personally! o jeez, i sound like a BMW fan hehe

Of course its going to be expensive for you, you are 19!!

I doubt they will make this for a while yet.

What about something like a Renault Clio Sport 182?? Not sure how good the back seats are but they are light and fun?? Yet something a bit different to the elise.

The LS7 GTS conversion is done by CSV, not HSV. CSV commodore tuning is awesome, and they're quiet under rated.

The clio has definitely been sitting at the back of my mind, and I wonder if I can import a Clio V6 into the country :p That would turn more heads than a Ferrari, and go like stink.

I reckon the Focus XR5 (ST in europe) would be a nice bet. Its certainly not light, but its such a nice drive. The engine's lovely with plenty of guts, little turbo lag, and the handling is fun.

My big problem is that I'm not uber-keen on front wheel drive, so hot hatches have only been sitting at the back of my head.

Whilst I'm here, can anyone recommend tyres for a Honda Jazz VTi? The tyres at the moment are Yokohama Aspec tyres in 175 / 65 R14 82T, which are absolute crap. Please try to recommend tyres that I can actually get in Melbourne.

so if a fat 300 lb guy is standing next to a fat 500 lb guy, that makes the 300 lb guy a lightweight, correct?
Sorta. But I never claimed it was. All I was saying is that if he is considering an M5 then the Monaro should be a reasonable alternative. It's not like it's a bloody cruise ship like the 300C.

Yes but it's even more expensive than a WRX to insure and both attract extra excess because of the amount they're stolen.

Ps insurance is bullshit in this country, guys my age are lumped with drink drivers horah! (I think girls start one "rating" above us as well)

Yeh I guess insurance is a pain.....one of the few bills that keeps going down though. I should be rating one by the time I am 22.

I am glad to hear CSV are still operating, hadn't heard from them in a while. They do have a habit of producing frighteningly over-powered cars......the new Walkinshaw stuff is meant to be very good.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I shall go and do some research and see what I end up with.

Now, about those tyres for the jazz...