Your five favourite motors of all time

Interesting thread, nice to see a lot of variety and not just OMG VEYRON W16!!11

1. Chrysler 426 Street Hemi - The king of kings; over 500 horsepower in what was basically a detuned racing engine. As an added bonus, it went rumpety-rumpety-rump.

2. Ford 427 SOHC. - Pushrods? What pushrods?

3. GM LS-series smallblock - the venerable Small-Block-Chevy for the modern era.

4. Ford 302 - Ford's take on the SBC, used forever with more variations than you can shake a stick at. So responsive to modification that smacking it with a hammer gains you 50HP, minimum.

5. Tie between the Offenhauser and the Cosworth DFV that took away its crown.

4. Ford 302 - Ford's take on the SBC, used forever with more variations than you can shake a stick at. So responsive to modification that smacking it with a hammer gains you 50HP, minimum.

And where 2 causes the block to split :p

5. Tie between the Offenhauser and the Cosworth DFV that took away its crown.

Only because of regulations! No engine could take the boost it could (one of the advantages of not having a separate cylinder head or any head gaskets).

5. The Chev Small Block. Im gonna have to go with the crowd with this one. Is there nothing you can't put a small block in?

I believe Harvard, Yale, and Oxford Universities spent years researching this subject and the results are not surprising... No. :D

Well, judging from his ride, I'd say he's so used to riding buses that anything that sounds as good as an Aston must be fake.

I can think of one Cosworth engine you'd hate...

VEGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mouse:

1. Chevrolet small block (Any variant but in this order A. Traditional small block B. LS Series C. LT1 series)

2. Chevrolet big block (More specifically the 454 but any will do)

3. GM Atlas 4.2l DOHC I6

4. Late 60s Pontiac 3.8l SOHC I6

5. 1931 to 1953 Buick Straight-8

DING DING DING! We have a winner johnny!

And you're prize is a shiny fancy new +1!

3. GM Atlas 4.2l DOHC I6

If I'm not mistaken the Pontiac SOHC is just a chevy I6 with a different head.

I've yet to experience the Atlas line of engines, but I hear they would be at home in any BMW, and no one would be the wiser.

Interesting choice on the straight 8... why? That reminds me, I think I may have to edit my last and put the Buick Nail head v8...

Interesting choice on the straight 8... why? That reminds me, I think I may have to edit my last and put the Buick Nail head v8...

To be truthful I put the last three on there because I find them interesting. I've wanted to see a T-Bucket or other hotrod use a built straight-8. As for the Pontiac, it made quite a bit of power for a six at the time.

To be truthful I put the last three on there because I find them interesting. I've wanted to see a T-Bucket or other hotrod use a built straight-8. As for the Pontiac, it made quite a bit of power for a six at the time.

Hehe. Same here. I really love the Flathead Pontiac Straight 8, one day I will build a motor with it, till then, I'll have to live with this stunning image.

It's from a 1954 Pontiac Bonneville Concept car, straight 8 250ci, 4 side drafts. Belted out 250[ 230hp...FROM A FLATHEAD!
https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/12/01/19057.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, 250hp. How did they pull that off?

Damn, 250hp. How did they pull that off?

Barrett Jackson auctioned one off (a green one) a couple years back, if I could find the old article they had on their website of it I could tell ya!

I believe it mostly had to due with a good cam, the carbs, and the fact that their ports were far better designed than a ford flatheads.

Amazing stuff, thanks!!!

1. Chevrolet small block (Any variant but in this order A. Traditional small block B. LS Series C. LT1 series)

2. Chevrolet big block (More specifically the 454 but any will do)

3. GM Atlas 4.2l DOHC I6

Atlas I6 FTMFW!!

1. Chevy Small Block (of course)
2. GM Atlas
3. VQ35 motor
4. Toyota 2GRFE V6

Thank you. It is a very interesting article. Would have been sweet if they produced it.

1. TVR Speed Six - Goes like hell and makes just about the same noise
2. Mazda 16X - I know it's not in production yet, but I bet it's gonna be brilliant
3. Rolls Royce Merlin - Just glorious
4. GM LS2 - I hate what it is, but love what it does
5. Saab B232 - Power to the people

Well, here's my take...

1. Porsche's Flat Six, both air and water cooled. It's done it all; Helped Porsche take victories in rallies, at Le Mans, at Daytona, and in all other sorts of motor sports. It was also very close getting into F1 and has powered light aircrafts as well.
  2. Porsche's 5,7-liter V10. Originally designed for F1, then modified to get into prototype race cars, but was denied both possibilities. It did make a case for itself in the Carrera GT though.
  3. GM's LS-series aluminium alloy V8s. Excellent combination power, torque, packaging, weight, reliability and price.
  4. TVR AJP V8. Small, light, powerful and revvy, all you can ever want from a sports car engine.
  5. Aston Martin V12. This could deserve it's place on the list on the noise it makes alone, but it also has the abilities to back it up.

1. Mazda Wankel Rotary; any of them ranging from 1.1 liters all the way to 2.6 (R26...what a BEAST)

2. Small Block Chevy; probably won more races than any other engine.

3. Honda B series; so many technical innovations, insanely high rev's, reliable as nails

4. Small Block Ford; read the Chevy one, just not AS impressive.

5. Ford Modular Series; Huge power potential, reliable, and beautiful looking in the DOHC variety.

6. Yamaha V6; come on...it looks like a brain!!

7. Chrysler Slant 6; so ridiculously under-square that it would only rev out to 4500rpm, but could be made to idle at 75(!!!)rpm, and produced tremendous low speed torque. Not to mention it was unbustable.

Last edited:
1. Alfa-Romeo Twin Spark
2. Mazda Renesis
3. OMG VEYRON W16!!11
4. Any Ferrari engine ever to be produced
5. Volkswagen/Skoda 1.9TDI