German reliability

One of my friends always told me that his domestic cars always gave him at least 6 months warning before blowing up. His imports usually ran perfect... right up to the explosion.
That's an interesting point, my experiences have been the same. My last Celica ran ... well it was running :lol: until one day on the interstate it started knocking like crazy. I also had a Mazda B2000 pickup throw a rod on me about 5 minutes after it started knocking. (IIRC, both cars were pushing 300k miles anyway). Then I've got a friend who used to own a '70 Chevy C10. The oil pressure was acting funky for about a few weeks, then it started knocking. He went on to drive it for another month :?.

That's an interesting point, my experiences have been the same. My last Celica ran ... well it was running :lol: until one day on the interstate it started knocking like crazy. I also had a Mazda B2000 pickup throw a rod on me about 5 minutes after it started knocking. (IIRC, both cars were pushing 300k miles anyway). Then I've got a friend who used to own a '70 Chevy C10. The oil pressure was acting funky for about a few weeks, then it started knocking. He went on to drive it for another month :?.

My friends 85 mustang GT AOD over the course of it's life kept losing gears. Most people would have the trans replaced or rebuilt when the gearing wouldn't even let them do 60mph on the freeway. Not him, he drove it till it wouldn't get out of 1st gear... for a month or so.

Not him, he drove it till it wouldn't get out of 1st gear... for a month or so.
Heh, my dad did the same thing with the last Cutlass he owned. First it lost reverse, but that was okay (he could always find some enthusiastic kids to push it :lol: ). But once second and third started slipping he got rid of it. I think that whole process took several months.

VW Golf TDI (2002 model): Very occasionally, the turbo charger shuts itself off in specific conditions. What bothers me most about that isn't the malfunction itself, but that the dealers have no idea how to solve the problem. Apart from that I've had no issues with it. It's done 160.000km now and started its life as a driver instructor car which leads me to the conclusion that the reliablility of German cars isn't too bad from my experience.

Get them to check the air mass meter. We had a '98 Alhambra TDI that had turbo problems. VW wanted to change the entire turbo to fix the problem but we took it to an independant garage and they worked out it was the air mass meter.

(e.g. my digital clock broke and I was quoted around a thousand dollars to fix it in parts and labor -- for an 80's LCD from a timex.)

Have you found a solution? :) In half of 944's I've seen that clock has some of the segments dead. Including mine.

The front lower control arms on these cars (924/944/968 ) need to be checked constantly for ball joint failures and cracks in the arms themselves.

Ooh, that's a painful subject. Also according to Porsche ball-joints in post '85.5 cars are not serviceable, and new control arm (here at least) costs something like 1200?. Original parts for old cars are priced ridiculously. Some things for 997 are a lot cheaper than for 944. Gladly there are usually alternatives in form of used parts or some VAG parts, so I'm not complitely broke after 4 years of ownership :)

Ooh, that's a painful subject. Also according to Porsche ball-joints in post '85.5 cars are not serviceable, and new control arm (here at least) costs something like 1200?. Original parts for old cars are priced ridiculously. Some things for 997 are a lot cheaper than for 944. Gladly there are usually alternatives in form of used parts or some VAG parts, so I'm not complitely broke after 4 years of ownership :)

:lmao:

That has to be some kind of record :lol:

My family has had nothing but Audis and VWs

(Audi 50, Audi 80, Audi 100, Audi 100, VW Golf Mk2, VW T4, Audi A6, VW Golf Mk 4, Audi A6)

And all were really relly reliable, except for the second Audi 100 which broke down sometimes for unexplainable reasons and then started working again. So I wouldn't say reliability is that bad. Although I have to add its common here to really service your cars according to the manufacturers service intervals.

My family has had nothing but Audis and VWs

(Audi 50, Audi 80, Audi 100, Audi 100, VW Golf Mk2, VW T4, Audi A6, VW Golf Mk 4, Audi A6)

And all were really relly reliable, except for the second Audi 100 which broke down sometimes for unexplainable reasons and then started working again. So I wouldn't say reliability is that bad. Although I have to add its common here to really service your cars according to the manufacturers service intervals.

Well of course your family has nothing but Audis and Volkswagens...you're in Germany! :lol:

But it's interesting that you say those cars were reliable... Then why has your family had so many cars over the years? :hmm:

:p

Get them to check the air mass meter. We had a '98 Alhambra TDI that had turbo problems. VW wanted to change the entire turbo to fix the problem but we took it to an independant garage and they worked out it was the air mass meter.

Thanks for the tip, but the air mess meter also has been replaced without solving the problem. I'm pretty sure that there's something wrong with the regulation because the engine pulls like crazy considering its 100hp, I've always ghot the feeling that the charger is building up too much pressure and that the sut off is some kind of precautional thing initiated by the control unit. Thing is, as soon as I turn the key (even while driving) and start the engine again, everything's working fine again.

But it's interesting that you say those cars were reliable... Then why has your family had so many cars over the years? :hmm:

:p

Because my dad worked hard to afford a better car, then you need a bigger car when you get kids, and after some of these kids move out you can buy something with less then 6 seats again. Apart from that I don't think its that many.

Oh, and mautzel: You can get a Golf 4 TDI ECU from a scrapyard for ~150? I'd say. Might be worth a try.

Have you found a solution? :) In half of 944's I've seen that clock has some of the segments dead. Including mine.

But, if you were in the market you'd buy another 944 in a heartbeat wouldn't ya.

Yes, my "final solution" (another German joke!) was a strip of black electrical tape so I don't have to look at it.

I was amused that the clock still worked when I got the car 4 years ago. It was dim but still functional. But I think the last 4 years are the first time the poor baby hasn't been garage kept. I came out one freezing cold winter morning and the entire display was a blotchy mess (liquid broke out of cells, I guess). Like an idiot I pressed harder on it thinking it was a loose connection or the cover glass came loose, and cracked it.

Yep, I think I've replaced 2-4 A-arms in my 4 years of ownership. I've been getting the 968 parts as they're supposed to be slightly better. But if I keep this car, I think I'll go 3rd party tubular a-arms next go-round. BTW, not only do the ball joints crack but the arms themselves can develop hairline cracks, so stay on top of it.

:lmao:

That has to be some kind of record :lol:

QFT. The Porsche law of averages is stalking you like the grim reaper, beware!

Because my dad worked hard to afford a better car, then you need a bigger car when you get kids, and after some of these kids move out you can buy something with less then 6 seats again. Apart from that I don't think its that many.

While I can appreciate that, reliability for a few short years is one thing -- doing 10 years and/or 100,000 miles or more is another. Everybody's marriage is fine during the honeymoon. Tell me how it is after 5 years.

Last edited:
janstett, all of those cars were second hand (except the T4) and we drove them all to at least 10 years of age and 100.000km.
I think we sold the Golf being 13 years old after having done 180.000km.

far as i see it, theyre just as reliable as any other car, though more expensive to fix when they go wrong.

id say merc are just draggin themselves out of a bad hole with quality, and as far as VW's go, my auntie has owned golfs all her life and they never put a foot wrong.

arent certain models made in different areas for different markets?

i notice alot of americans talk about VW and BMW n stuff having quite poor reliability, but over here the last time i saw a german marque on the hardshoulder was because the tool driving his A4 cabrio decided that after suffering biting cold and some rain that it wasnt a good idea to pose around with the top down and so he pulled up to put the roof up

seen plenty of mid 90's - early 2000's mercs looking very tatty though. they havent broken, but they dont seem to be in too good of shape.