Toyota FJ Cruiser among others

Terrarist

Car(s)
Golf MK4 Wolfsburg edition 1.4L
Ma dad's lookin to get a new 4x4 and a replacement for his W210 E-Class Benz. For the Benz, he's just gonna get a newer version but the 4x4 is an open issue.

This is the result of the litte discussion we had:
- Landcruiser's too expensive
- Jeeps are too thirsty
- Prada's not a good idea
- Land rover's are too expensive n even if he could he wouldn't
- H2's rubbish
- Escalade's even more rubbish

We agreed on is the
- Toyota FJ Cruiser , from the little i've seen, it's not bad. I was afraid it was just a plastic husk.
- Any Toyota or Nissan pickup. We have a 97 Nissan pickup and it's still going strong.

Generally we want something that'll look alright but do a rally.
*Just remembered the Merc G-Class but it'll probly be the same as the landcruiser.*

Well, have at it.

The FJ Cruiser is having issues with body cracking and should be avoided until they get it solved.

The H3 (not Alpha) actually is rather good offroad and doesn't suck.

Also, look into the Nissan XTerra.

You seem to have ruled out some of those cars for pretty weak reasons... How is a Jeep so much more thirsty than any of those others? How is a Prado not a good idea? :?

Anyway, just to throw one of the very few remaining possibilities into the ring: Isuzu.

What kind of jeep are you talking about? As far as I know all there models are right in line with the pack as far as MPG goes.

Can't you get a Jeep Cherokee with the turbodiesel? That would be even less thirsty than an FJ Cruiser, and be stellar offroad. Unless you do most of your driving on road, and in that case - why are you buying a 4x4?

Have you sat in or driven an FJ Cruiser? Feels just like riding in a horsebox... it's cute but it's too military surplus for me.

Your dad should just get one of these:

http://img140.imageshack.**/img140/9069/gap01441lgrd0.jpg

ZOMG!

^I love it... it's so cool that they've kept the same body for all their trucks for the last 25 years and just update the headlights for 'new' models.

^I love it... it's so cool that they've kept the same body for all their trucks for the last 25 years and just update the headlights for 'new' models.

Hey, be fair! They changed the tail lights and the arc of the back window. It's the ultimate in retro... never changed! :p

Don't let Wannabe SS see this :O FJ Cruiser sounds good to me.

You seem to have ruled out some of those cars for pretty weak reasons... How is a Jeep so much more thirsty than any of those others? How is a Prado not a good idea? :?

Anyway, just to throw one of the very few remaining possibilities into the ring: Isuzu.
He doesn't think the Prado's good and he won't listen to me on that. We had a 2000 Sports Cherokee Jeep and it was very thirsty for a 2 litre DIESEL car, so for the Jeep I'm speaking from experience. It was the first car I drove where when the fuel light came on, I was truly afraid.

I wasn't keen on recommending any American made car simply because of how their target market is. Typically, they buy new cars every week whereas we do it every several years. We really drag out the life on our cars here.

Intriguing thing about the Xterra's that it was recommended on another forum.:hmm:

^ My dad has had a Prado for a few years now and he loves it. What does your dad have against the Prado? It's a Toyota so you know it will be reliable.

Xterras are very good cars, from all I have seen. Very rugged. (body on frame constructions ect) I really wouldn't mind having one, despite the fact that I hate Nissan! lol

H2's are just stupid.

I would go with a Jeep (they go on forever, mechanically speaking) or an Xterra.

ZOMG GET A TRAILBLAZER THEY ARE EFFIN GREAT OFFROAD! (actually they are TERRIBLE lol)

Have you looked at the new Nissan Pathfinder? you can get a big V8 in it now :D

Unless you do most of your driving on road, and in that case - why are you buying a 4x4?
+1

What is the SUV going to be used for? Are you looking for something to take off road or is it going to be someone's daily driver that never leaves pavement?

Because typically, the best off roaders are the worst street trucks. And vice versa.

+1

What is the SUV going to be used for? Are you looking for something to take off road or is it going to be someone's daily driver that never leaves pavement?

Because typically, the best off roaders are the worst street trucks. And vice versa.

Location says Ghana, so there is probably a use for an offroader. And the Trailblazer isn't bad car at all, it's one of the better choices in the market but I don't think it fits this guy's needs.

ZOMG GET A TRAILBLAZER THEY ARE EFFIN GREAT OFFROAD! (actually they are TERRIBLE lol)

Have you looked at the new Nissan Pathfinder? you can get a big V8 in it now :D

87-95 (WD21) Pathfinders are about as capable as a Wrangler offroad.
96-04 (R50) Pathfinders are about as capable as a Grand Cherokee offroad - both are unibody vehicles.
05-present is the R51; while back on a frame, is still less capable than a WD21 and more oriented towards the road.

If you want a real offroad-ready and capable out of the box Nissan SUV, it's WD21 Pathfinder (87-95), XTerra, Armada (surprisingly), and Patrol, and that's pretty much it. *Maybe* the R51 will be in that list, but most of us are skeptical about that. You can't immerse an R51 in water like you can the WD21 or XTerras. The 00-04 XTerra (WD22) was the continuation of the offroad legend of the WD21; the 05-up (N50) one is on the same F-Alpha chassis as the Titan, Armada, and the R51 Pathfinder - but the XTerra is waterproofed, fording capable out of the box, etc., etc. The XTerras have much simpler equipment and electronics fits than their R51 cousins, and they're just simpler in general.

Last edited: