The Lastest from Health and Safety..

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...ver+of+four-inch+step/article.do?ito=newsnow&

Binmen refuse to lift frail pensioner's rubbish over four-inch step

A frail six-stone pensioner has been told her rubbish won't be collected - because health and safety rules prevent her burly binmen from lifting her bin over a four-inch step.
Priscilla Thomas, 76, who is just 5ft, is expected to drag her wheelie bin out herself - but fears she is so frail she will lose control of it.
She said her rubbish had only been occasionally collected since September and was left to pile up outside her home.
She said: "It's bureaucracy gone out of control."

PriscillaThomasCON_468x312.jpg
Priscilla Thomas: The six-stone pensioner has been snubbed by binmen

The problem got so bad that Mrs Thomas has resorted to taking the bags to the tip herself in the back of her car.
When she confronted the bin men to ask why her rubbish was not being removed, she was astounded to hear that the tiny step was deemed a health and safety hazard and they were not allowed to pull the bin down it.
Incensed that the refuse collectors were not deemed fit enough to lift the bin even though she was, Mrs Thomas registered for Brighton and Hove City Council's assisted collection service in the hope it would solve the problem.
But her bins are still not being taken, despite numerous calls to the council's refuse department.
She said: "I live on a hill and if I try to roll the bin out into the street for them to collect, it might overbalance and spill rubbish everywhere.
"Also, leaving it on the pavement creates an obstacle for pedestrians, especially those with pushchairs and wheelchairs and for blind people.
"I rang the council's refuse department again and again. They sympathised with me but still nothing was done.
"Last Tuesday, despite me leaving the bin right in front of my gate which I left open, the bins were not collected again.
"What more can I do?" Mrs Thomas said the situation has left her feeling as if she is banging her head against a brick wall.
She said: "My neighbour has the same type of step and his bin gets collected, so why doesn't mine?"
A council spokeswoman said: "We apologise for the problems that have unfortunately occurred with Mrs Thomas' refuse collection and the inconvenience this has caused her."
A council manager visited Mrs Thomas and assured her the problem would not be repeated.

/me is SOOOO happy the local government doesn't have almost any health and safety rules interfering with every day life... >_<

"It's bureaucracy gone out of control."

She's absolutely right. This is the problem with having set regulations and procedures for everything. One size does not fit all. It's good to hear she's making progress with the situation but she should never have been put in that position to begin with.

"It's bureaucracy gone out of control."

She's absolutely right. This is the problem with having set regulations and procedures for everything. One size does not fit all. It's good to hear she's making progress with the situation but she should never have been put in that position to begin with.

I quite agree with that statement, guidelines work well because they can be bent, rules don't because they are taken religiously. I feel bad for this woman I really hope something gets done, I mean it seems that the goverment in every damn country could be more arsed to pass a law that raises their salary and helps some big company then to help the people, I know I sound like a communist, but honestly I am getting fed out with the goverment in general its a system that works alright in the past, but in the present, needs a good change.

People in the UK just love to use any loophole possible in order to do as little work as possible.

"Not doing that, it's not in my contract"
"Can't do that, it's against health and safety"
"If you don't like it, f**k off somewhere else"

Lazy wankers. It's the primary reason nothing ever gets done any more, public money is spent like water and no-one takes responsibility for anything. It's my home and I miss it in so many ways when I'm away, but things like this remind me why I was happy to leave in the first place.

Not disagreeing with you at all here, but on the other hand it was Health and Safety that told a neighborhood watch-esque person to let a kid drown because they didn't have the training to safely rescue the him.

We discussed it here.

People in the UK just love to use any loophole possible in order to do as little work as possible.

"Not doing that, it's not in my contract"
"Can't do that, it's against health and safety"
"If you don't like it, f**k off somewhere else"

Lazy wankers. It's the primary reason nothing ever gets done any more, public money is spent like water and no-one takes responsibility for anything. It's my home and I miss it in so many ways when I'm away, but things like this remind me why I was happy to leave in the first place.

same reason why im fucking off as well..... and just to add more stuff in there, the eu want to fine car makers for not making co2 guidelines so pretty much all cars will cost more money. i cant even take this CO2 is causing global warming stuff seriously now because so many people are making money off the back of it.... we'll never find out if it really is the root cause because too much money will be lost if its found that it isnt.

ken livingstone wants to charge you ?25 a day just for owning a nice car (over 225g co2 per km)..... notice i say owning, not driving. you can have your Audi Q7 parked in a parking space for a week and get charged ?25 every single day ontop of the parking fee. what a joke.

H&S is the bane of everyones life,

at work they employ groups of people to come nosey round your office, make you fill in forms that ensure you can look at a computer monitor correctly and tell you off for having paper on your desk.

they came in and asked me if i felt safe in my office.... i told them that i felt like i was living on the edge. what with all those small piles of paper and a few pens everywhere i was genuinely scared for my life...... yeah they never saw the funny side of that either.

also because nice little rewards are handed out for "safe working practices" nearly everyone goes around looking for the slightest bit of danger they can find. no one actually does any real work, theyre too busy looking to see if they can "accidentally" staple their eyes shut with a 49p stationary box stapler with a max capacity for 10 sheet, before running off to the boss with a SIO (safety improvement opportunity)

im not joking here, my office mate actually went out side and photographed the fact that the bike sheds tin roof was the same height as his forehead and that this could cause serious injury if you were to walk into it.

im sorry but if your that fucking stupid that you cant judge distance then you either shouldnt be working there (its an engineering firm full of bright sparks) or you're some kind of vegetable.

seriously, i think we are not far away now from taking new borns and putting them in a cotton wool lined bubble wrap cocoon and not letting them out for 21 years. just incase they graze a knee or see any of lifes truths.

^ it doesn't work like that, but thanks for playing.

Anyone else up for building a large artificial island (or colonising one that already exist, although that wouldn't be as fun) in the middle of the ocean to get away from all this bullshit?

im not joking here
And I was really hoping you were :?. They actually come in and make sure your fucking office is safe? Unbelievable. We've got an agency, OSHA, that checks out 'hazardous' jobs. I think in the 2.5 years I was an ironworker they came to one jobsite I was on, issued no fines and bullshitted with the foremen for an hour or two :lol:.

Heh ...
The Isle of Man is a low tax economy with no capital gains tax, wealth tax, stamp duty or inheritance tax[11] and income tax rates of 10% and 18%; corporation tax is at 0%
The island has a total of 800 km (500 miles) of public roads, all of which are paved. Many of the roads on the island have no speed limit.
How hard is it to become a British citizen these days :D?

Not very, LOL!
:lol: Indeed, I'd pretty much just need to head to my friendly neighborhood British embassy and apply. Not that I'm leaving the states any time soon, it's just interesting to know these things.