Buying a handgun?

The cheap stuff is great for shooting ranges, but I have a box of more expensive ammo that I have for home protection.

So you'd shoot a criminal with the good stuff and leave the cheap stuff for targets... I'd think it would be the reverse.

If by "clever" you mean "pull the trigger, no de-cocking mechanism, grip safety, or actual safety switch" then yes.

I admit the Glock is a very reliable handgun that will almost always fire. However, I found it to be snappy on the recoil due to the polymer frame and unlike the 1911, which tends to drop itself back to the target as the slide comes forward, the Glock seems to want to rotate in your grip. I just feel the recoil differently than the Colt. With the Glock the recoil hits me mostly in the wrist while the Colt's recoil is felt more at the shoulder. Also, I don't like the long double-action trigger pull on the Glock.

The Glock is easy to clean, a breeze to fire, has a simple safety for combat, and is nicely sealed up with an unexposed hammer, but it's just not fun for me to shoot.
Yes, that was what I meant by clever.

I suppose all guns feel a bit different. If you've done much shooting with a 1911 than maybe you need some time to get used to a Glock and vice versa.

Also I've sadly never tried a 1911. Just shot the Glock because it's our service sidearm.

Last edited:
So you'd shoot a criminal with the good stuff and leave the cheap stuff for targets... I'd think it would be the reverse.

Please Read the Thread...

The reasoning is that the cheaper ammo is typically FMJ (Full Metal Jacket, so basically a metal covered lead bullet), which is more likely to pierce through drywall and keep going. My more expensive ammo are hollowpoints, which disintegrate when they make contact and are more likely to be stopped by drywall.

Also the expensive ammo is more reliable. The cheaper ammo fails to fire more frequently than the inexpensive ammo.

Actually, you do want to use the good stuff for home defense, it reduces the chance of a jam, misfire, dud, or ejection/feed problem (in semiautos).

I don't know if you guys are serious, but Bass obviously means you don't want to use the good stuff on some low-life breaking into your house.

That reasoning works for wine and liquor, not for bullets.

Another thing: Never, ever use your own reloads for defense; a guy was sued by the family of the dirtbag he killed because they claimed he "made special killer ammunition" just to slay poor misunderstood, housebreaking, drug using, gun-toting little Johnny. Always use factory-fresh ammo.

That reasoning works for wine and liquor, not for bullets.

Another thing: Never, ever use your own reloads for defense; a guy was sued by the family of the dirtbag he killed because they claimed he "made special killer ammunition" just to slay poor misunderstood, housebreaking, drug using, gun-toting little Johnny. Always use factory-fresh ammo.

That's bullshit... at least their son is dead, so less in the gene pool to worry about.

[youtube]mbP35Fy8zCI[/youtube]

^:lol:

:lmao: I don't create too many threads, but I'm pretty happy with where this one wound up.

Right. So i'm chilling in Texas and figured I'd go check out a range. Fired a Glock 19, and it was fantastic (granted there was an issue which resulted in it not firing, but a little oil apparently cleared it up). I'm sure i've mentioned it before, but i've been considering buying a gun. At this point, i'm looking for something to use on range but also should be suitable for conceal carry. I'd prefer 9mm, no particular reason.

Right now my heart is set on the Glock 19, but I have to test out a few other models. Any suggestions? I picked up some from earlier on in this thread that I am looking into. A buddy of mine was telling me something about "catastrophic failures" in Glocks, I think it had to do with explosions in the barrel.

This has nothing to do with the fact that 8 hours before I had to catch my plane last Saturday, my car was broken into (drivers window smashed) outside my supermarket. The police suspect I was followed after leaving the bank, not sure.

There are many good 9mms out there, as it is the most common and inexpensive of the major calibers. This is a good thing because it means that ammo is inexpensive; new gun users need to practice a lot, so it helps if the ammo is cheap. For that matter, ALL gun owners need to practice regularly.

What's your budget like?

The "catastrophic failures" on the Glock are both rare and usually associated with firing a type of ammo that the Glock manual tells you not to. Range guns tend to be abused a lot and cared for little, so finding a rental gun of any make that malfunctions at a range isn't unusual.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to go more than 700 or 800 bucks.

I paid about 12 or 13 bucks for 50 rounds at Bullet Trap, which is in Plano. Perhaps you are familiar with the place.

Yes, that's the range nearest my home.

You have a wide selection of firearms in that price range. Are you entirely new to (real) firearms, or have you had any prior shooting instruction/experience?

New. I shot a rifle at school a few times, but nothing that I can think of since (over 10 years). Which is why I was pretty surprised that all of my shots were right on target, and even hitting the bullseye on those free target papers they give at the longest range (which I think was 25 yards).

OK. Sounds like the Glock may be the right choice for you if you can hit accurately with it (the most important criteria for a defense arm). Glock 19s on the open market run between $450-650. I would go to one of the upcoming gun shows and shop the dealers having sales there. You should be able to find a police-trade-in Glock 19 that's been refurbished for about $450-500. Spend the rest on ammo, extra magazines, cleaning kit, a good holster and your CCW permit class and you're all set.

The Glock 19 is very concealable, but Glock does make smaller versions that are even more concealable.

I was checking them out. I don't exactly have small hands, so that may be a factor. The 19 seemed like a perfect fit. I'm still hunting for a decent range in Orlando with a nice selection to try. I'll keep you posted on that and get your opinion before I make the decision.

Off to bed now, up at 5am and heading to the airport.

If you do go to a gunshow here in Dallas, look for the Bachman Pawn and Guns stand. They usually have a good selection of Glocks and other handguns. My brother and his roommate both got their handguns from Bachman.