Hammond: Timewatch: Bloody Omaha

I sat down and watched it and I thought that it was very well presented, I did learn about D-Day landings at school. And I think that Hammonds voice overs and his presenting style fitted the program very well imo.

And I think that Hammonds voice overs and his presenting style fitted the program very well imo.

No to mention his hair! After the first scene I realised that this couldn't have been a Clarkson doc. His hair would have looked ridiculous in the coastal winds.

Does this count as over analyzing?

I couldn't find it on 95TH's, is it on someone else's ftp yet? The torrent just died on me and hasn't worked again.

uploading it to 95's Ftp.
But it will take some time;)

Hammond is useless in presenting docs, Clarkson cud do ti so much better...

I haven't seen this yet, but I wasn't all that impressed with his work on the Knievel doc. He inserted himself into it too much. Yes, that's because he survived a horrible crash himself and it may not have been his decision anyway, but I thought the doc still suffered from it.

As an aside, I highly recommend Clarkson's war doc The Greatest Raid of All. The way he brings that story to life with genuine drama and suspense is brilliant.

I thought it was OK. Dignified.

Does anyone know about Slapton Sands? It was so embarrassing both the UK and the US covered it up for many years.

I haven't seen this yet, but I wasn't all that impressed with his work on the Knievel doc. He inserted himself into it too much. Yes, that's because he survived a horrible crash himself and it may not have been his decision anyway, but I thought the doc still suffered from it.

As an aside, I highly recommend Clarkson's war doc The Greatest Raid of All. The way he brings that story to life with genuine drama and suspense is brilliant.

You should first watch this one before judging Hammond on his skills.
This is an Epic doc. Or maybe it's just me, because I'm highly interested in WWII and everything in cohesion with it.

Unlike some countries, we like to remember that there were more than just our own troops involved in the retaking of France :p

LMAO!!! You should see how the Korean War story is told by Koreans... according to them, the USA was there, but the Koreans did most of the fighting and dying and hero type stuff. Of course outside the memorial they have big sheets of granite with the names of all the fallen soldiers. The corridor is split in half by a staircase that leads to the main entrance, and each side is at least 500 feet long with the slabs being 10 or 12 feet high. One entire SIDE is US soldiers, and the other side is all the soldiers from every other country... yeah we had very little to do with it... :lmao:

pic of those slabs I was referring to....
board_2007090114244802.jpg

Last edited:
Every thread on this forum turns into an international temper tantrum. The truth is, there was a job to be done, and the young men from ALL the countries involved did it. I can only hope the US, England, and France stay friends so that if such a situation should ever arise again we would have each others backs.

^ Agree whole heartedly - the rows usually started by Americans though, with a "We saved your sorry asses" type comment and a very shaky grasp on history. Where as we all know the Russians saved our sorry asses.

Please, it usually is some "fat, dumb, american" bs comment that sets the tone around these parts.

By the way, whomever saved the Frenchy's, is null. The damn french gave us the Le Car. We have a reason to be bitter with them.

*sighs and dreams of owning a Cleo one day*

Interesting side line to history - the French really believed that we would do a deal following the fall of France in 1940 with the Nazis and take their overseas colonies and negotiate a separate peace. One lady close to one of the French Ministers was so unbalanced as to try to kill Churchill at a meeting before France finally called it a day.

I'll try to find a reference to it and post.

EDIT/ Was in this TV programme: Walter Thompson - Churchill's bodyguard.

http://uktv.co.uk/history/item/aid/536290

It always struck me when talking to French people how their version of WW II is so different to ours. For instance they put the fall of France down to us leaving them in the lurch rather than trying to face one of the most efficient war making machines ever developed in history. I always say "good job we came back with some friends."

Last edited:
Haha, that was excellent!

I just watched the show and I have to say it was very moving. I love programs like this one that have the veterans tell what it was like and not just what happened. Anyone can read about the events in a book but, sadly, you can only get the feeling of it from a man getting choked up thinking back to his friends and how they were lost. The shot of Arlington Cemetery at the end was particularly moving. I had never realized the sheer size of the place and to realize that every white speck represents a person and even all that is just a tiny fraction of what was lost. It's just staggering.

It always struck me when talking to French people how their version of WW II is so different to ours. For instance they put the fall of France down to us leaving them in the lurch rather than trying to face one of the most efficient war making machines ever developed in history. I always say "good job we came back with some friends."
Their excellent line of defense that the Germans simply went around helped out a lot too. :lol:

Richard and Jeremy on TV

Richard and Jeremy on TV

For those of you who missed it first time around, BBC2 are repeating
Richard's brilliant and moving documentary 'Bloody Omaha' on Sunday
27th at 11.25pm. Personally, I think outside TG its the best work
he has done.

Also, there is a QI repeat with Jeremy on BBC2, Friday 1st Feb 10pm

This thread should properly really be in the "TG Hosts Show" section.

and tbh it could just be tagged onto the end of the thread for Bloody Omaha