Illegal downloaders 'face UK ban'

BlitzR

People in the UK who go online and illegally download music and films may have their internet access cut under plans the government is considering.

A draft consultation suggests internet service providers would be required to take action over users who access pirated material via their accounts.

But the government is stressing that plans are at an early stage and it is still working on final proposals.

Six million people a year are estimated to download files illegally in the UK.

Music and film companies say that the illegal downloads cost them millions of pounds in lost revenues.

The government proposals were first reported by the Times newspaper.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport said that early drafts of the document had been circulated among stakeholders.

"The content and proposals for the strategy have been significantly developed since then and a comprehensive plan to bolster the UK's creative industries will be published shortly," it added.

"We will not comment on the content of the leaked document."

Voluntary scheme

The Times suggested that broadband firms which failed to enforce the rules could be prosecuted, and the details of customers suspected of making illegal downloads made available to the courts.

According to the Times, the draft paper states: "We will move to legislate to require internet service providers to take action on illegal file sharing."

Some of the UK's biggest internet providers, such as BT, Virgin and Tiscali have been in talks with the entertainment industry over introducing a voluntary scheme for policing pirate activity, but no agreement has been reached.

So far, they have failed to resolve how disputed allegations would be arbitrated - for example, when customers claim other people have been "piggybacking" on their internet service.

'No liability'

Technology that allows internet providers to monitor what content is being downloaded is becoming more effective, said James Bates, media director at consultants Deloitte.

"This is also likely to help accelerate the process of identifying pirates, and may lead to swifter disconnection, or prosecution," Mr Bates said.

However, the Internet Service Providers Association said data protection laws would prevent providers from looking at the content of information sent over their networks.

"ISPs are no more able to inspect and filter every single packet passing across their network than the Post Office is able to open every envelope," the association said.

"ISPs bear no liability for illegal file sharing as the content is not hosted on their servers," it added.

The BPI, the trade body that represents the UK record industry, said internet providers had "done little or nothing to address illegal downloading via their networks".

"This is the number one issue for the creative industries in the digital age, and the government's willingness to tackle it should be applauded," said BPI chief executive Geoff Taylor.

"Now is not the time for ISPs to hide behind bogus privacy arguments, or claim the problem is too complicated or difficult to tackle."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7240234.stm

Politics and a load of Bollocks - how are they going to do this then? You just sometimes wonder about Politicians you really do.

It's no surprise that the UK will throw privacy out the door.

I recall reading that the RIAA is cooking the books on illegal downloads. Most songs downloaded are not actually from RIAA artists, so it's doesn't hurt RIAA sales. The whole point of trying to go after file sharers and downloaders is to try to restrict access to non-corporate music and control the market. The whole "this is hurting album sales" is a load of bollocks.

http://www.news.com/2100-1027_3-5181562.html

Here is the actual Harvard Study: http://www.unc.edu/~cigar/papers/FileSharing_March2004.pdf

Album sales are down, but they are stabilizing. The interesting thing is that, in my opinion, the sales started to slip about the same time music started to suck.
http://www.news.com/Record-sales-down,-but-seen-as-stabilizing/2110-1027_3-5169904.html?tag=st.nl

Then, there's the data that suggests file sharing actually increases record sales: http://www.news.com/Study-File-sharing-boosts-music-sales/2100-1023_3-898813.html?tag=st.nl
The RIAA just can't stand that it's not their sales that are being boosted. Maybe if they stopped pumping one good single and padding albums with loads of crap we would buy more full albums.

Last edited:
Blind_Io - good find and re-inforces what I think too. Someone on the radio over here was saying it was because the music industry was failing to adapt and not looking at the whole package that there were falling sales - It does not help that they have loads of manufactured bands rather than bands who are talented with something to sing about.

Blind_Io - good find and re-enforces what I think too. Someone on the radio over here was saying it was because the music industry was failing to adapt and not looking at the whole package that there were falling sales - It does not help that they have loads of manufactured bands rather than bands who are talented with something to sing about.

I think that after the 90s when they found a pretty good formula for a boyband, they thought "Hey, if we can do it for 9 year old schoolgirls, why not for everyone?". Then, in the early 2000s they came up with a formula for shitty Rap, R&B and later, Metalcore, and pushed it on teenagers. It was a success, right?

The thing is, people are actually somewhat decent at detecting patterns over years and years of their lives, and they just plain WON'T listen to the same song for 10 years over and over again. Meanwhile, older people (20s-30s) who actually used to buy alot of music, although not as much as angsty 14 year olds, lost interest or turned to music from other labels.

I'm waiting for the day when bands will release their albums in lossless on The Pirate Bay and make money by accepting donations on their websites.

The technology to do it is already here - and at least you won't owe someone money after you've recorded your first album.

I already buy music from smaller labels.

The interesting thing is that even teenagers are moving away from manufactured music and are rediscovering bands like The Rolling Stones, The Doors, The Who and others.

*holds up internet*

FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

Remember this? Sounds familiar...

Home_taping_is_killing_music.png

Although, oddly enough, whilst I don't see huge problems with downloading music (in moderation), I never download films and don't think it's as justifiable, as the cinema's not a huge ripoff or you can wait to hire a dvd / rent it off iTunes / buy a dvd / wait for it to appear on TV. Plus whilst hearing music leads to album sales, I don't see how watching a film leads to the same film dvd sales...

I'll admit that I've downloaded music/movies/games and i'll also admit that i've bought alot of stuff that I downloaded.

I downloaded Der Untergang, then ordered it from Germany (before it was released here) because I liked it.

Maybe if they stopped pumping one good single and padding albums with loads of crap we would buy more full albums.
My word Blind, that's quite a novel idea you've got there! Now if only the RIAA and so many major labels could see the light. They're so stuck in manufacturing music it seems like they've forgotten how they used to operate. That being, finding a band (not building one) and working with them through a few albums until they hit their stride. It seems like most major labels can't be troubled with anyone who can't make their first album go platinum.

Also, I used to download music all the time, but now that I've got probably 30-40gigs worth on my hard drive, I've slowed down :lol:. I still download a game every so often.

Last edited:
I've got probably 30-40gigs worth on my hard drive
:shock:

But, yeah, like Blind said the best bands are the ones who critique, polish, refine their albums drop songs add others. I don't mind buying a full album like that. But most of them have their single and then a dozen shit excuses for music. Good music will always sell itself.

If its a band I truly love, then I will buy their music, but if its not, then download time. For example, I have bought ever single Led Zeppelin Album (other than the BBC session because I can't find it and the mothership because I can't be bothered), I have bought every single Tool album and a stack of my other favorite bands. Plus, you can never have too much music, I'm sitting on 50 gigs. :D

I download everything. However, if I like the band/album, I'll buy it. I also go to the concerts of bands that I really like and I'm happy to spend money there on t-shirts and other merch as I understand the money spent at a show is more likely to end up back in the band's coffers and not lining the pockets of some greedy executive.

I don't think this will go ahead, it'll be to complicated and hard to enforce. Having said that the national ID card scheme is too complicated and expensive and thats going ahead.

Thing is everyone keeps going on about how its labour's fault, but I think the Torys wouldn't be any better. Lib Dems _might_ be ok, but I doubt they'll ever get in power.

If you really like a band or artist, download their music and go to the concerts, the artists gets close to nothing from Album sales because they first have to pay off the expense of making it (Which most artists never do) There a much better ways of supporting something you love than giving other people money for it.

"This is the number one issue for the creative industries in the digital age, and the government's willingness to tackle it should be applauded," said BPI chief executive Geoff Taylor.

"Now is not the time for ISPs to hide behind bogus privacy arguments, or claim the problem is too complicated or difficult to tackle."

Actually i'm with the ISP's on this one..... it's not their responsibility to police the web, it's just theirs to provide access. If the music industry can't protect their copyright then that's their fault not the ISP's.

I don't download a lot, just an occassional album, TV program and movie. I don't own an MP3 player and there isn't one in the car so the only place i can hear that music is at the computer so i prefer online radio instead. Movies come very quickly to the TV channels now so with a large LCD or Plasma it's better than the cinema with all the muppets talking or on mobile phones, or coming in late etc.

Hasn't France already done this?

It's no surprise that the UK will throw privacy out the door.
What? UK citizens still have privacy?

Although, oddly enough, whilst I don't see huge problems with downloading music (in moderation), I never download films and don't think it's as justifiable, as the cinema's not a huge ripoff or you can wait to hire a dvd / rent it off iTunes / buy a dvd / wait for it to appear on TV. Plus whilst hearing music leads to album sales, I don't see how watching a film leads to the same film dvd sales..
I don't necessarily agree with that. I have a real hard time feeling sorry for an industry that typically makes tens or hundreds of millions of dollars within the first few days of releasing a new product.