Test Drove a Couple Cars today, looking at more later this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You got to test drive from the dealership at 16? They won't allow anyone under 18 to test drive a car around here.

Yeah, same for me..... :cry:

Darn, wish my parents would buy me a luxury car :cry:

That being said, my friend let's me drive his '06 A4 1.8T Manual Prem/Sport Packages :cool:

Seriously, listen to matt. You WANT a manual car. I am so happy that I got a manual for my first car, it makes you a better driver. Also, I agree on the stability control. Its there for a reason.

My friend (Audi guy) says the same thing.

I'm almost certainly getting a manual for my first car. Maybe a auto with paddle shifters, but I doubt it, manuals are too much fun :)

Last edited:
Be sure to let me know how the Saab went. Let's be honest, as much as I love that car, it's probably going to suck. At the Vancouver Auto Show, I had a chance to sit in it. The interior couldn't have been much better than a Hyundai...

AThe only reason people do disable it is to show off, and this creates problems for themselves and those around them.

Bullshit, just because you turn off traction control that doesn't make you a show-off, especially when nobody is around to see it.

Bullshit, just because you turn off traction control that doesn't make you a show-off, especially when nobody is around to see it.

Than why do you turn it off on public roads?

Seriously, listen to matt. You WANT a manual car. I am so happy that I got a manual for my first car, it makes you a better driver. Also, I agree on the stability control. Its there for a reason.

lol yea, for snow and stuff :p

and yea, im still lookin for 6mt.

Because it's not your car to break? I hate people that have no respect for other peoples things. They usually are the same people who's mommy buys them BMW's or Infiniti's when they are 16.

In all fairness, if a BMW can't handle a few hard launches without breaking, then you shouldn't be buying one.

In all fairness, if a BMW can't handle a few hard launches without breaking, then you shouldn't be buying one.

I'm inclined to agree, especially with BMW being "the ultimate driving machine." But thats not my point. Shouldn't by driving a car hard enough on the street to test that, and you shouldn't treat other peoples things any worse than you'd treat your own.

I'm inclined to agree, especially with BMW being "the ultimate driving machine." But thats not my point. Shouldn't by driving a car hard enough on the street to test that, and you shouldn't treat other peoples things any worse than you'd treat your own.

I know WannabeSS isn't very popular on this forum, but come on. He didn't say he did standing burnouts and power slides, all he said was he accelerated hard and pushed it in the corners. I would do the same exact thing if I was considering dropping $24grand on a Bimmer.

All i did, was get a taste for the accleration on an onramp, and give it some gas on a twisty road. Nothing any worse than the way any normal person drives.

Than why do you turn it off on public roads?

Because its fun. Also, if your careful, patient and considerate when you do turn it off theirs a lot to learn about car control. To be honest i have never disabled a TC system in my life, but this is only because i drive mostly 80s cars. Plus you say "public roads" like I'm talking about doing it in the middle of a busy intersection, when in reality all the hard junctions around where i live have great visibilty and are clear during all the hours i drive.

Because its fun. Also, if your careful, patient and considerate when you do turn it off theirs a lot to learn about car control. To be honest i have never disabled a TC system in my life, but this is only because i drive mostly 80s cars. Plus you say "public roads" like I'm talking about doing it in the middle of a busy intersection, when in reality all the hard junctions around where i live have great visibilty and are clear during all the hours i drive.

I just wanted to turn it off so it wouldnt bleep on every time it would even hint at wheelspin.

Actually I added public roads to make myself a bit more clear that I don't mind it being turned off for track driving.

The problem I have with people turning traction control off on public roads is that I see a lot of drivers flooring their cars and taking fast turns in the rain and the like. My car doesn't have traction control, and I know from personal experience it doesn't take much for the rear end to get loose.

The problem I have is with inexperienced drivers (I am not accusing you of being one) thinking they are Michael Schumaker, turning it off, and promptly getting into an accident. Yes I think people should learn the limits of their car, but they should do it where they can't harm other people.

Traction control makes driving safer, and should be used on the public roads. The point of public roads is to safely get from point A to point B, not to race.

It was SO invasive. You couldnt give it the gas at all.

Its called TEST driving. Im not gonna put around like a granny. I will be doing that in traffic every day.

What were the weather conditions like when you were out?

I don't find it invasive on the e90 series, from the smallest petrol to the 335i

Most models that get test driven go through a lot of abuse, intentional or not. BMW dealerships have a good reputation for being more lenient with what you do with their cars though. I remember this person I knew was looking to drive a Z4 and the guy at the dealership pretty much taught him how to drive manual in one.

Most models that get test driven go through a lot of abuse, intentional or not.

It's true, I'd say. A few months back, during the test drive of the demonstrator BMW 320i, the salesman wanted to disprove my theoratical claim (from the internet) that the runflat's ride was not hard, so, he went over a bump at ~40-50km/h! Then, he showed us its 0-60 acceleration (in an automatic!) flat out, before doing a sudden braking(tires screeched!), to show us its powerful brakes. When my father drove it, he encouraged my dad to floor it to the max at every corner and straights!:cool:

Yeah, it destroys the car, but it will be the test drive I'll always remember :lol:

EDIT: Back on the topic, I wish my parents were so generous like yours! I even bought my bike with my money =/

It's true, I'd say. A few months back, during the test drive of the demonstrator BMW 320i, the salesman wanted to disprove my theoratical claim (from the internet) that the runflat's ride was not hard, so, he went over a bump at ~40-50km/h! Then, he showed us its 0-60 acceleration (in an automatic!) flat out, before doing a sudden braking(tires screeched!), to show us its powerful brakes. When my father drove it, he encouraged my dad to floor it to the max at every corner and straights!:cool:

Yeah, it destroys the car, but it will be the test drive I'll always remember :lol:

EDIT: Back on the topic, I wish my parents were so generous like yours! I even bought my bike with my money =/

A lot of dealerships have demo models from brand new cars, but unless I'm mistaken most of the cars he was testing were 2nd hand ones.

Your parents seem to do test drives differently than mine. Last test drive my dad did when I was with him he tried a 4 year old Pontiac Grand Am. Backed it up a total of... 2 feet, where he heard a thunk from the front suspension. Promptly put it in park, got out and said "Well I thought it handled great!"

Runflats wouldn't be perticularly hard on most roads in singapore though, also you'd have to have optioned it with the sports suspension as well to understand what most of the reviewers are bitching about.

Anyway guys, its not like he's getting a M3 or anything, its just a 'nilla BMW 3 series, not a particularly quick car. As long as he drives like he says he will, he should be alright.

I'm sorry but a 215bhp BMW, for me, is classified as a fast car, especially for a 16 years old... Even with my little 75bhp Diesel powered Fiesta I sometime scares myself, so I can't imagine having a 330i as a daily driver... I would be dead very quickly... And don't tell me "don't drive it fast then", I can't see the point of having a car like that if you're not going to drive it fast, get a 320i or less in that case... In fact, I can't see the point at all to have a car like that at 16.
In France I wouldn't even dream about insuring a car like that for me, even though I did accompanied driving since 16.

Be sure to let me know how the Saab went. Let's be honest, as much as I love that car, it's probably going to suck. At the Vancouver Auto Show, I had a chance to sit in it. The interior couldn't have been much better than a Hyundai...
Dude, i know what you mean. For some reason i REALLY like the way the saab looks. its a pretty handsome car, but when we had one as a loaner (black 06 aero) it was just bad to drive. The back seat was vertical and hard as a rock, and it was about as fast as a 3 year old car in the same class as it. Im gonna give it another chance though.
hercules-mofa08.jpg

THIS is what minors are supposed to drive. Period.
I'd rather not die. This isnt europe.
I'm sorry but a 215bhp BMW, for me, is classified as a fast car, especially for a 16 years old... Even with my little 75bhp Diesel powered Fiesta I sometime scares myself, so I can't imagine having a 330i as a daily driver... I would be dead very quickly... And don't tell me "don't drive it fast then", I can't see the point of having a car like that if you're not going to drive it fast, get a 320i or less in that case... In fact, I can't see the point at all to have a car like that at 16.
In France I wouldn't even dream about insuring a car like that for me, even though I did accompanied driving since 16.
What is aid above. Here, the roads are big and wide. Its designed for really bad drivers to make mistakes but not feck up.

Trust me, a 330i is not to much to handle if your not a dumbass. I'v taken a high performance driving school before where you go on the track. Learned a TON!

BTW: if you cant handle a 75hp diesel fiesta, i really dont think you should be on the roads. Your obviously a bad driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.