Broadband problem

Homer_Bart

Car(s)
2007 BMW 320i
Recently, I've just signed up for the 8mpbs broadband, upgrading from the 1mpbs. However, a check with speedtest.net showed that the speed capped at around 5mbps...

And just today, everything took seconds to load. Like google, now it takes a full 5-10secs! A very laggy check with speedtest.net again and it showed 300kpbs... What has happened? :(

Thanks in advance!

I'm having the same problem right now. 20mbps, but only got 500 although just a couple of weeks ago I got full speed.

maybe another undersea cable broke? :lol:

You're never going to get the full 8mbps (or only in short bursts). I'd say 5mbps is pretty good if it was consistent.

There are a lot of things that can slow down your connection (cable I presume?). I'd check it again in a few hours and see how it is.

Speaking of broadband, just the other day I got an email from my local provider. It was an limited invitation for 20mbps for only an additional $20/month. With 3 kids and a ton of jobs to do around the house, I don't have the "play time" I used to. I'm happy with my 10mbps and my $20 in my pocket.

Recently, I've just signed up for the 8mpbs broadband, upgrading from the 1mpbs. However, a check with speedtest.net showed that the speed capped at around 5mbps...

And just today, everything took seconds to load. Like google, now it takes a full 5-10secs! A very laggy check with speedtest.net again and it showed 300kpbs... What has happened? :(

Thanks in advance!

Does your agreement say 8mbps, or up to 8mbps, that's how ISPs get you, they quote perfect situation speeds, other than that, 5-7 is the best you can expect on really good days, not sure about the huge drop to 300.

Well, the speed just plunged to the mid 20s kbps... :(

Installing the new modem my ISP gave doesn't help. will post in detail tomorrow, got an *exam* later in the morning:)

Like others have said you're never going to get the full advertised speed. But if you're getting 20 kbps then there's a problem somewhere. Why don't you just ring up your ISP's tech support line?

Do you guys think a 50 mbps connection for $180/mo. is worth it?

Is this ADSL or cable? I don't know much about Singapore but in the U.S. for ADSL there is normally a one-week "provisioning" ramp that you're on when upgrading to a higher-speed tier.

I just rang them up, and they're seeing what they can do about the situation...

My connection's ADSL, and I the "provisioning" ramp, as claimed by my ISP, is around 10 hours, and I'm paying around only USD$14 a month :)

BTW, thanks for the great response and help! :D

Like others have said you're never going to get the full advertised speed. But if you're getting 20 kbps then there's a problem somewhere. Why don't you just ring up your ISP's tech support line?

Do you guys think a 50 mbps connection for $180/mo. is worth it?

not worth it if you are the one paying the bill. you will never get the full 50mbps speed, and p2p programs doesnt really help unless there are super seeders who have staunch connection for you to leech. That goes with http and ftp as well, if the source cant keep up with your speed, its pointless having 50mbps.

That said... online gaming would be virtually lagless. But im already getting < 20 ping with my 10mb line. Naaaah.. its too expensive, not worth it.

i'd say the 50mb pack would be your the best upgrade only if someone else is paying for it :mrgreen: