Geneva 2008: Morgan LifeCar

Overheat

Forum Addict
morgan-lifecar-f3q.jpg
morgan-lifecar-rs.jpg

morgan-lifecar-s.jpg
morgan-lifecar-int.jpg

The Morgan Aero 8-based LifeCar is a prototype fuel cell sportster.

Developed with input from partners including Oxford University, defence firm Qinetiq and Cranfield University, with the aid of funding from the government and the Department of Trade and Industry, the zero-emissions LifeCar showcases an electric motor in each wheel powered by a fuel cell, regenerative braking technology, ultra-capacitors to release extra energy for short bursts of acceleration, and a relatively low-cost construction.

The use of the ultra-capacitors is said to allow for a smaller fuel cell unit, thus saving space and weight. Range between hydrogen refuelling stops is 200 miles and the hydrogen tank relatively small, as the regenerative braking - capturing of energy otherwise dissipated under deceleration - allows greater use of electrical energy.

'The real challenge is to design and build a car that is fun to drive - a proper sports car,' said Charles Morgan. 'The use of ultra-capacitors to store the surplus energy and then use this for acceleration and braking does promise a dynamic ride, especially when combined with our ultra-light chassis. The paring of weight to a minimum is our strength, and allows a much smaller fuel cell than conventionally thought necessary.'

Thus a very traditional car company has created a very advanced vehicle. The LifeCar is, at the moment, a one-off prototype, but it is hoped that it will raise the profile of fuel cell technology, advertise the fuel cell created by Qinetiq, and generally fly the flag for British engineering expertise and innovation.

It looks like they didn't have to time to finish it.

I love the shape.

I dig the back end and the profile. It's a good looking car, but does it come in a firebreathing V8?

Umm no - dish wheels, on a Morgan?? No, just no.

Oh, and the roof sucks too - the way it's just sitting on top of the rear quarters looks amateur.

I quite like the steering wheel... And thats it.

I'll tell them its crap when I go to Morgan for my work experience in the summer. :lol:

I'm in love with it. :cool: This thing looks cool. :hamster:

The seats have a nice swoopy line! And there are nice buttons on the dash.

I'd like it more if the back end didn't remind me of a Vette and the interior wasn't half-dominated by the tunnel.

Does it come with a leather cap, goggles, and driving gloves or do you have to bring your own?

Also, why can't Morgan do headlights? They look silly on this car and on the Aero, the Aero would be awesome if it had a better face

It looks like it belongs in a cartoon, not real life.
I hate it. Bring back the cross-eyed model. That had alot of personality. :)

I quite like it. The exterior needs a bit of adjusting, but the basic lines are pretty damn nice. Then there's the technology. Out-of-the-box thinking it it's best! This really is Morgan showing the environmentalists how it's supposed to be done.

Also, I absolutely love the seat/dashboard combination. An absolutely lovely piece of design!
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/07/23/Morgan-LifeCar_Concept_2008_800x600_wallpaper_0f_002.jpg

Last edited: