Votes: 18 10.8%
  • Atheist

Votes: 44 26.5%
  • Non-Religious

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters
See and the Bible says the earth is only 4000 (or was it 6000) years old so that throws that little theory right out the window :p

Where does the Bible say how old the earth is? I'm genuinely curious, because I don't know. :lol:

But it would be dumb to expect a 2,500 year old book to say the planet was 4.55 billion years old. I don't think people from that time could even fathom how many "moons" that is.

Of course, we still don't really know how old our planet really is. We can only guess. With more theories.

Make fun of the bible all you want the fact is you have some of the best stuff to base TV Movies and books off of and some good ideas too.

Honor your father and your mother

Do not murder

Do not commit adultery

Do not steal

Do not bear false witness against your neighbor

Do not covet

The more you practice theses the happier you become

Somehow, I get the feeling that those suggestions did not originate from the Bible. They read like a basic guide to life. Most religions/cultures/people/etc. probably already know that your should respect your parents, refrain from killing other people, refrain from cheating on your spouse, refrain from stealing things, and to refrain from lying. The problem is, the Bible's point, when you get down to it, is NOT to spread this message...it is designed to have you accept Jesus as your one and only path to heaven no matter how you've lived your life. The point, ironically, is that no matter how good you've lived your life, you will go to hell if you do not accept Jesus. It works on the idea that Jesus died for everyone's sins and as long as you believe in him, you're good. So Hitler may be chilling with Jesus right now. Who knows.

Although the advice to not covet seems more Buddha-like than anything else.

congrats all religion has a common theme

accepting a higher power and live to emulate that power and you will be rewarded

Or don't, and you'll be punished.

The premise of using fear into goading weak people is the mainstay of most religions. Or bullshitting people into believing that, no matter how bad they fuck up this life, eternal salvation and 'paradise' awaits once they accept the tenets of it.

Somehow, I get the feeling that those suggestions did not originate from the Bible. They read like a basic guide to life.

Everything in the bible has been stolen from previous religions. I saw a documentary about it. I'll see if I can find the url to it..

Raised catholic, but I consider myself non-religious/atheistic (what's the difference anyway?).
I don't really mind people being religious (I know some very catholic people and I have a lot of respect for the amount of thinking they put in their belief and view of the world, much more than most atheists with a superiority complex) as I now understand the basic human urge to understand why and how they are on this world and how they are supposed to fulfill their lives. A religion can provide a very powerful framework for people to act within.
I don't like religious people forcing their beliefs on others though. I don't like people who don't "get" their religion. A religion is about improving yourself as a human being, that's it.

Where does the Bible say how old the earth is? I'm genuinely curious, because I don't know. :lol:

But it would be dumb to expect a 2,500 year old book to say the planet was 4.55 billion years old. I don't think people from that time could even fathom how many "moons" that is.

Of course, we still don't really know how old our planet really is. We can only guess. With more theories.

The Bible doesn't say how old the earth is. The 6,000 years is approximately how long the Bible says humans have been on the earth.

I have no clue. That is just the numbers I keep hearing from people who deny evolution. Rskrobot is more likely right though, I think it actually is a guestimation based on dates and events in the Bible to figure out how old humanity is, not necessarily the Earth.

There still comes a problem with the fact that we know of civilizations older than that.

The 6,000 year figure is based on 'generational analysis' or something to that effect. Creationists have in some manner appropriated a number of generations that would allow for todays population based on the old stories and their number of people. Basically, it's something like if you start with 2* people and add 2.3* every generation, you arrive at todays population. There is no part of the book that says the Earth is X years old.

*numbers may have been fudged

The 6,000 year figure is based on 'generational analysis' or something to that effect. Creationists have in some manner appropriated a number of generations that would allow for todays population based on the old stories and their number of people. Basically, it's something like if you start with 2* people and add 2.3* every generation, you arrive at todays population. There is no part of the book that says the Earth is X years old.

*numbers may have been fudged
For the Record, this "young earth" thing, is not a general christian thing. Roman Catholics and most protestand churches don?t take the bible that literally and therefore don?t belive in these numbers any more since science was brought into the question.
Among the christians, it?s mainly the evangelicals who take the bilble that word by word so they belive that. On a Sidenote, even in the jewish faith where (from a christian standpoint) they just have the "old testament", they don?t take it that literally. It?s almost only a evangelical thing, because they really are the only ones who totally cannot accept any science or reason into their faith.

Yesterday I saw a short bit on telly about the Grand Canyon and (some) evangelicals thinking this was the drain for Noah's Flood. :| Oh dear ...

Last edited:
Just because people killed in God's name doesn't mean that God was ok with it.
... I generally agree.

But if you belive what?s written in the Bible, and what killing, genocide and lots of other fairly cruel stuff - god not only aproves or orders, but does himself ... you might notice bloodshedding on a big scale isn?t something God necessarily thinks bad of - so he did it himself quite often. That?s were some few people get such ideas from and them go out and kill for their faith. That doesn?t mean "god" is okey with it ... but then maybe next time, the next holy book should be less misunderstandable in such a way.

... I generally agree.

But if you belive what?s written in the Bible, and what killing, genocide and lots of other fairly cruel stuff - god not only aproves or orders, but does himself ... you might notice bloodshedding on a big scale isn?t something God necessarily thinks bad of - so he did it himself quite often. That?s were some few people get such ideas from and them go out and kill for their faith. That doesn?t mean "god" is okey with it ... but then maybe next time, the next holy book should be less misunderstandable in such a way.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/10/ugh2.gif Sounds like a god I really want to warship and please... https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/10/jerkit.gif

Thought I'd add these, although I don't really get the timeline :O
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/10/ChurchBodies.gif
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/10/BibleTimeline.gif

... I generally agree.

I agree, (although I don't think it was cruel) in certain circumstances God did end entire nations that He considered wicked, even the global flood wherein only 8 survived.