2008 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

2008 Honda need to be consistant points scorers, kind of like what BMW were doing in 2007. 2009 when Ross has absolute control will be their year. Well thats what my feelings are anyway.

Yeah, I think Honda is improving, but still has a long way to go...they will be back to their 2006 form in 2011 the earliest.

Toyota certainly, and there's a fat chance you're right about Honda, but I 'm not so sure...

^ you can't ignore what's going on with IRL and Champ Car. Honda is the only car manufacturer right now. I think that will change. I don't think Toyota can afford it right now cause of na$car. When more car manufactures get into IRL, Honda will have to spend more money there as well.

So, I can see Honda droping SA, which I'm not happy about, but I don't see them leaving F1 again.

Of course if customer cars are allowed, I think every manufacturer will have A and B teams (ie 4 cars).

89259.jpg

Formula 1 teams to test slick tyres in April
28 February 2008

Tyre manufacturer Bridgestone confirmed that Formula 1 teams will get another opportunity to test their cars with slick tyres. Back in December the F1 teams got the chance to test Bridgestone's slick tyres over three days at Jerez.

The F1 teams will travel first to Australia and Malaysia before they will return to Europe for a three-day test at Circuit de Catalunya. The test will take place from Monday to Wednesday, 14-17 April, in Spain.

With the test on slick tyres Bridgestone is trying to gather information as Formula 1's provisional rules for the 2009 season state cars will be running on slick tyres.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/02/28/formula-1-teams-to-test-slick-tyres-in-april/

It will be great to see F1 cars on slick tyres again.

Damn straight, brilliant stuff. I think it will be an absolute revelation to everyone in the field bar DC and Rubinho, who are the only drivers to have raced during the slicks era??? Oh and Fisi I think.....

Ok so it goes against slowing the sport down but from everything I have read slicks are a quantum leap above the grooves in every department.

Damn straight, brilliant stuff. I think it will be an absolute revelation to everyone in the field bar DC and Rubinho, who are the only drivers to have raced during the slicks era??? Oh and Fisi I think.....

Ok so it goes against slowing the sport down but from everything I have read slicks are a quantum leap above the grooves in every department.

Yeah but they're F1 drivers for a reason. Jenson already tested them late last year, and he liked them. They all should get used to them quickly, just like the tc ban.

BUT... tire-warmers are still banned for 2009. And with the 2009 levels of downforce, most of the drivers have been complaining about the possibility of disaster on out-laps.

^ They started to complain about it last year, they still have one year to continue it (I'm sure they will go on complaining about it), I think they'll find a solution before the start of the 2009 season.

Williams could have signed Lewis Hamilton in 2004 but their former engine partners BMW passed up the opportunity, the Formula One team's co-founder Patrick Head said on Friday.

Head told reporters that Hamilton and his father Anthony had visited the team's factory that year after falling out with backers McLaren while the Briton was racing in Formula Three Euroseries.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65397

These last 2 weeks are going to be tough, so there's something to discuss. Hamilton in a Williams. Would we care who he is? Would his talent still be so easy to see? Would he even be in F1? Where would McLaren be without Kimi, Fernando, and Hamilton?

He would still be in F1, albeit in a Williams. No Nakajima though. And yes, we would see his talent because he would have some great fights with Rosberg, and in the wet he would be on the podium.

Williams would have been the #2 constructor in 07. I don't think it matters much; they still don't have a car that can win a championship. Also, when Rosberg wins the WDC in a few years (hopefully in a Williams) it will be the same result as if Hamilton was there. I think Rosberg is as good as Hamilton and that Williams didn't lose much by not signing him as they have Rosberg.

I'm not sure about that. Rosberg is an amazing driver, but I don't think he could cope with the pressure in his first season like hamilton did. He doesn't have that "on the edge" way of driving either. He's more Button style.

ITV's pre-season show is on 2moro afternoon- I'll be ripping it if anyone misses it. Can torrent it if anyone's interested?

ITV's pre-season show is on 2moro afternoon- I'll be ripping it if anyone misses it. Can torrent it if anyone's interested?

Would be great :)