Top Gears Stays on BBC2 - Official (!!!)

James May's Hair

We pretty much all know this, but BBC2's Controller, Roly Keating, has stated in an interview with Media Gaurdian that Top Gear is staying where it is.

Traditional ideas with a twist have brought in big audiences - Dragons' Den, Coast, Tribe, Springwatch, Who Do You Think You Are? and The Apprentice all launched on his watch. For some time there has been speculation over whether Top Gear (with audiences that can top six million) would follow those last two to BBC1. But Keating insists not. "Top Gear is going through an extraordinary moment but it's constantly challenging itself in a BBC2-ish way." So it's staying then? "That's the plan."

Hurrah, say I.

Link to full interview, although I've quoted the only part which refers to Top Gear.

Hmmm.... sorry if this is a stupid question, but would it matter which BBC channel it was on? And if so, why?

Hmmm.... sorry if this is a stupid question, but would it matter which BBC channel it was on? And if so, why?

Not hugely. BBC1 occasionally has bigger ratings, but that's about it. In the past BBC1 has always been 'important' news and dramas, whereas BBC2 has been more culture stuff. That line's pretty blurred now.

Thanks teeb, I wasn't sure whether BBC1 had some advantages over the other BBCs.

Here in Australia, ABC1 is the only ABC (our version of the BBC) that is transmitted in analogue. ABC2 and ABC3 are only available as digital channels.

Actually it might make a difference as Top Gear would have a much bigger budget on BBC ONE as BBC ONE has a much bigger budget itself than BBC TWO and shows tend to be given more money.

However it's also much more of a mainstream channel - so Top Gear on BBC ONE would be more like series nine than series ten - more about entertainment and stunts with VERY LITTLE in the way of cars like many on here seem to prefer.

It breaks down like this

BBC ONE - mainstream all audience primary channel
60% of total BBC Vision budget or ?4.50 per licence fee or about ?1.2 billion P/A

BBC TWO - alternative mainstream channel male skewed audience
25% of total BBC Vision budget or ?1.80 per licence fee or about ?600 million P/A

BBC THREE - young channel for 21 - 30 year olds digital only
5% of total BBC Vision budget or about ?100 million P/A

BBC FOUR - arty, elitist channel digital only
2.5% of total BBC Vision budget or about ?50 million P/A

The figures are from the 2006/07 budget and since then things have changed slightly with commissioning and programme budgets more centrally controlled by BBC Vision - but it still stands that a BBC ONE show would be more mainstream with a bigger budget than a BBC Two show.

How much is BBC HD getting?

Or is it coming from the actual channels themselves (who happen to make programmes in HD) ?

as long as its primary channel is not Dave, I am happy.

Why do you think that most people here want to see very little in the way of cars? This is a car show after all. And why do you feel the show has to be reviewing cars in order for it to be about cars. All the challenges are about cars in one form or another, just because they are not reviewing the newest boring 1.5 litre hatchback does not mean the show is no longer about cars.

I don't care wheter it's bbc1 or 2. As long as it's on of those.
Those are the only britisch channels that I can recieve!
And I don't want to miss top gear, and have to wait till it's on dutch television!

I don't care wheter it's bbc1 or 2. As long as it's on of those.
Those are the only britisch channels that I can recieve!
And I don't want to miss top gear, and have to wait till it's on dutch television!

Na trust me you wouldn't want it on BBC1. As has been said, if it was on BBC1, it would have to be made more mainstream, so it probably would be pressure up above to make it more cocking about and less actual car info. Not that i'm bothered by that personally, but some people might be :)

Look at Little Britain. When they showed that on BBC1, they cut out a lot of it.

Gee, I can't tell which channel you work for! :lol:

BBC Four is very elitist tho, it should really be called "BBC Not-For-The-Working-Class" Just to avoid confusion.

I kinda think TG should move to One, it would give them a bigger budget...BUT I do think they'd be forced to clean up there act by BBC moaning fools, so properly working on the small budget hidden away on BBC 2 is better.