Talk about an uncomfortable buisness relationship!

Jay

the fool on the hill
Before you start reading, and reach for that mouse to make a reply, try to conduct yourself in a civil fashion, please.

LAURENS, S.C. - A black civil rights activist is fighting to close a store that sells KKK robes and T-shirts emblazoned with racial slurs. David Kennedy is confident he can make it happen. After all, he says he owns the building.
ADVERTISEMENT

Since 1996, the Redneck Shop has operated in an old movie theater that, according to court records, was transferred in 1997 to Kennedy and the Baptist church he leads.

"Our ownership puts an end to that history as far as violence and hatred, racism being practiced in that place and also the recruiting of the Klan," Kennedy said. "This is the same place that we had to go up into the balcony to go to the movies before the Klan took it. So there's a lot of history there."

But legal documents also indicate that the man who runs the store, 62-year-old John Howard, is entitled to operate his business in the building until he dies. Now the dispute may go to court.

Kennedy, 54, has led protests outside the store since it opened but said he's never been able to close it because of the agreement that Howard can run the shop for life.

The reverend envisions the building as a potential future home for his New Beginnings Missionary Baptist Church, which now meets in a double-wide trailer.

Kennedy claims he can't even visit his own property because Howard won't let him in when he appears in the door. But that didn't happen during a recent visit with an Associated Press reporter and photographer.

"Reverend Kennedy, where you been hiding?" Howard shouted when the door opened.

Inside the store, hooded Klan robes hang on the same rack as the racist T-shirts. Pictures of men, women and children in Klan clothing and pamphlets tell a partial history of the organization.

Howard used to own the whole building. When his store first opened, he said, people threw rocks at his windows, spit in his doorway and picketed. A month later, a man intentionally crashed his van through the front windows.

"If anything turns people off, they shouldn't come in here. It's not a thing in here that's against the law," Howard said, adding that he was once the KKK's grand dragon for South Carolina and North Carolina.

To blacks, Kennedy said, the store is a reminder of this region's painful past, which includes the lynching of his great, great uncle by a white mob.

The town of Laurens, about 30 miles southeast of Greenville, was named after 18th century slave trader Henry Laurens.

Some street addresses are still marked with the letter "C" that once designated black homes as "colored." Racial tension was heightened in recent years when two white female teachers were sentenced for having sex with male students ? all of them black.

Kennedy has a long history of fighting racial injustice. He protested when a South Carolina county refused to observe the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, and he helped lobby to remove the Confederate flag from the Statehouse dome.

When people in the region allege racism, he rallies attention to the cause. A walk through the neighborhood where he was born shows that he seems a stranger to no one.

"Hey Rev," one man says as he strolls by.

"Pump it up," Kennedy responds with the phrase he uses at his protests.

Mary Redd, who lives across from the house where Kennedy was born, said blacks know to contact the pastor with their problems.

"And he helps them out," added neighbor Deborah Cheeks.

Kennedy said progress has always been slow to come to Laurens.

"There are two powers in the world: the mind and the sword," he said. "In the long run, the sword is defeated by the mind. I want to destroy the concept of hatred." :thumbup:

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/10/capt.d0f083d6c6e14b52b8f814a661d74980.kkkstorescpc101.jpg
Source.

Now, we can be mature about this thread and drop the stereotypes of people living in that region...the good people of South Carolina and of the South...some who post here and are upstanding members of this forum, are probably disgusted by this as much as the next person.

But on the other hand, freedoms do have to be upheld, as repugnant and asinine as that organization is.

If the guys got an agreement to be there for life, he's got an agreement to be there for life. Although, I'm not too sure how common those arrangements are made and how legitimate they are. I also find it weird that a person would buy a building, full well knowing that the occupants are not fans of you, and that they probably wont be moving for your pleasure.

Drugs are illegal, yet selling drug paraphernalia is not. Dressing up in white robes and burning crosses on somebody's lawn is illegal, selling robes and crosses is not. If he wants to make money off of rednecks and racists, that's his freedom, even if he is one himself.

Racial tension was heightened in recent years when two white female teachers were sentenced for having sex with male students ? all of them black.
Hmm...does this mean there were two different instances or one big orgy? Obviously there was more than 1 male involved in either occasion. (BTW I know this is off-topic, but it's what I noticed)

Okay, breaking this down : the guy has a lifetime agreement to be there. OK, fine.

Ignoring that, does the Reverend have a case to close down the store on racial/equality/whatever grounds? No idea. I doubt it, since 'freedom of speech' and all that is pretty strong in the States. Although it's clearly in bad taste, this.

i am curious about this agreement to run the shop for life. What if the owner wants to sell the property to a developer can he not do it because this guy has the right to run his shop for life? that seems pretty crazy to me. As for the contents of the shop well i am a huge proponent of of free speach and with that comes having to listen to racisits and hate mongers which i think is worth it so let him sell whatever

Complicated subject.
Here in Brazil there's something that annoys me: T-shirts that read: "100% black" or "Black pride". Now, what would happen if I chose to wear s t-shirt with "White pride" or "100% European"? Probably a racism lawsuit...

Whilst we might not like it..... it's not illegal.

The fact the the KKK is allowed to act in public (with selling their stuff) is sad enough and not really an example of the great nation America wants the world to see them as.

No matter how repulsive the shit he is sellng is, it isn't illegal and he has an agreement to be there. It would be wrong to chuck him out.

Complicated subject.
Here in Brazil there's something that annoys me: T-shirts that read: "100% black" or "Black pride". Now, what would happen if I chose to wear s t-shirt with "White pride" or "100% European"? Probably a racism lawsuit...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from being an oppressed group most if not all of the blacks who were brought as slaves don't know their country of origin. I'm sure if you wore something like 100% Italian, Irish, etc. it wouldn't be offensive. Another reason why could be that there are still racists who use the term white pride. It affects me too, I feel weird to use the Hindu symbol Swastika (even though it was used centuries before it became a Nazi symbol) but I don't want to offend people.

Let's not forget African Americans are not the only group of people the KKK dislikes.

He has an agreement to run the shop, that's it, right? But it's not his property and the owner can do what he wants with his own property. He can "remodel" his building and make the shop the size of a broom closet. What is the racist going to do? It's private property, he has no rights. If the shop was removed completely, then there won't be anything to manage "for life".

He has an agreement to run the shop, that's it, right? But it's not his property and the owner can do what he wants with his own property. He can "remodel" his building and make the shop the size of a broom closet. What is the racist going to do? It's private property, he has no rights. If the shop was removed completely, then there won't be anything to manage "for life".

I'm pretty sure the contract will state the dimensions of the shop and the required access and so on.

I would think there would be some clause in the contract that let the owner of the building terminate the contract when he wanted or after a certain period has gone by.

Complicated subject.

We've got a similar problem, you can take pride in being born who you are, so long as it's not being white... Unless you want to be a proud "redneck."

America was built on the principle that both of these fuckers can sell or believe in what ever they want, and no one should be able to take it away.

I don't support either of them. I think the actions of the KKK are deplorable, disgusting, and embarrassing for all white people. And I don't support religious establishments, especially some of the shadey southern Baptist megachurches (I know this is not what this is in this case). I'm NOT saying one is worse than the other, nor am I comparing the two, so don't git yer panties in a twist.

By the way I see it, this guy has that contract so he's allowed. What if in 2 years he decides to sell dogs? Is the local cat lady gonna try to shut him down?

If this man had a life contract, it was with the previous owner.

If I wrote out a contract that my brother can live in my house until he dies, but then sell my house, do the new owners have to honor the contract and let my brother live here forever? I wouldn't think so.

On a side note, I don't care what the guy is selling, it could be medical supplies and free puppies. I also don't care who the owner is. It isn't right to have an idiotic contract like that, which gives future property owners no rights when it comes to their private personal property.

If I wrote out a contract that my brother can live in my house until he dies, but then sell my house, do the new owners have to honor the contract and let my brother live here forever? I wouldn't think so.

I think that would be part of the contract, it would (should) state what would happen upon ownership exchange/transferal. Odds are the contract is between the store owner and the owner at the time, not the building itself. Ergo, it'd be non-transferable.

If that's not the case, and this current owner is the one that signed the contract with the business owner.... well then he's just an idiot.

I think that would be part of the contract, it would (should) state what would happen upon ownership exchange/transferal. Odds are the contract is between the store owner and the owner at the time, not the building itself. Ergo, it'd be non-transferable.

If that's not the case, and this current owner is the one that signed the contract with the business owner.... well then he's just an idiot.

It's quite possible that when the property was sold off part of the deal was that the current contracts were still good :dunno:

edit: That looks like the case, as the kkk store owner used the own entire building. They didn't specify if he was the one that sold the building or not at the time.

Without knowing the specifics of the contract, this thread will be an exercise in hypotheticals.

If he isn't selling anything illegal, and not breaking any ordinances, AND he really does have an iron-clad contract giving him certain rights as a tenant, I say tough cookie. You may not like what he is selling, but so what? No one is forcing anyone inside.