New Caterham Superlight R500

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
Well, first, the teaser...

9080409.011.1L.jpg

The heads that are pistons have confirmed with an inside source at Caterham that the R500 Superlight due for release in the coming weeks will not be equipped with the rumoured RS Performance V8 but instead receive a different gearbox. PistonHeads goes on to speculate that paddle shifters could be available as an option since it was recently announced as being available on the limited edition RS Performance RST-V8 Caterham. Weighing less than 490kg and packing over 500bhp, the R500 Superlight is expected to vaporize itself on the way to 60 mph in under 3.6 seconds!

Then the details:

Well, that was one of the most short lived teasers of recent memory. CarTribe.co.uk has busted the nut open just one day after we posted our smart teaser article. According to CarTribe, Caterham recently had a viewing of the vehicle and some press materials were made available.

Far from the rumored 2.4 liter superharged RS Performance V8 engine, the R500 will receive a reworked 2.0-liter Duratec Ford engine which pumps out 263bhp and revs to 8,500 rpm. Standard is a 6 speed manual transmission but as an option a Quaife 6 speed sequential transmission is available plus launch control. Unfortunately, no weight figures have been given, yet. Where's my calculator...

On the outside the R500 Superlight to non-afficionados looks exactly like every other Caterham, however, for those in the know, the R500 gets the CSR nose, aero wishbones, 13-inch anthracite wheels and clear lens tailamps.

The R500 Superlight costs a tear jerking ?37,000 but teletransports itself to 60mph in under than 3 seconds!?! For supercar thrill seekers, that's a bargain...

9080411.013.Mini4L.jpg

9080411.013.Mini5L.jpg

9080411.013.Mini1L.jpg

9080411.013.Mini6L.jpg

9080411.013.Mini7L.jpg

Last, but not least, the performance...

Now officially official, vital details beyond what has already been mentioned yet from here and here have been released by Caterham today on their ballistic cruise missile, the R500 Superlight. Highlights include:

* 0-60mph in 2.88 seconds (Bugatti Veyron territory)
* Kerb weight 506kg (516kg ? sequential gearbox)
* All-new electronic dashboard including keyless ignition
* On sale immediately starting at ?36,995
Source: WorldCarFans.com and Pistonheads.com

super_troopers_003.jpg

Mother of God. :blink:

I. NEED. NOW.

I might prefer the Atom V8, but for now, i'll be in my bunk.

I suppose this would tied me over until the V8 shows up, 0-60 in 2.88sec isn't too bad I guess ;) :rolleyes:

I like the new dash, looks much more modern and grown up, even if the buttons look a bit cheap - however I doubt you'll have much time to notice that when driving it ;)

Holy Crap.

That will be one amazing car!

As if I didn't had a soft spot for white cars....
WANT!
NOW!

Holy sh!t! :shock2: 500hp in a 1078lb car. :blink:

Good luck to the owners then...

Trying to keep that thing on the tarmac is gonna be a mission.

I almost bought one of Caterham's R cars several years ago after driving one at Silverstone where it was awesome. Luckily I drove one on the road before I parted with any readies. On an averagely surfaced road as opposed to smooth as silk racetrack it was awful. I bought a regular 7 instead.

No, in this one instance I agree with you. I know a car like this isn't supposed to be a looker or have a nice interior... but at least the Ariel Atom or the various crazy Lotuses look cool, whereas the Caterham looks old and substantially boring.

Am i the only one bored with Caterhams?

That caterham is great, but just give me the one with the V8 already.

There is a tuning company that specializes in tuning these Duratec Cosworth engines, they have actually got over 300 hp out of it, without using forced induction.