So who do you think should be the third presenter? Place your bets.

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Now that they have Tanner Foust, that makes two. They obviously need a third though because Top Gear is a trio after all and I assume they'll do the same because as Adam said, best to copy excellence.

So, who do you think they'll pick for the 3rd slot? Or more importantly actually, who do you think they should pick? We all know at least some of the people at the BBC read this site, so maybe the NBC execs are too. Hell, maybe we can actually have some sway in their choice. Even if we don't though, it's still fun to speculate and pretend we're the producers of the show. :p

But seriously, any ideas? I know we've thrown around random ideas back before anyone was announced (Leno, Seinfeld, etc.), but now that we know Adam and Tanner are hosting, I think the topic is worth revisiting.

Let's just not turn this into yet another "omgz leafsprings" or "lolz it'll suck" thread though please... :rolleyes:

To get the ball rolling, I'll start.

I honestly can't think of anyone specific as I'm not enough in the loop. I don't read magazines or have cable TV. However, I can comment on what type of person they should get. Let's first examine the current hosts though:

• Adam is obviously the American Jeremy, if not more.

He rants and raves about everything. He literally has a bit on his show called "What can't Adam complain about?" where people call in and say stuff like "sunshine", "puppies", or "Ferraris" and then Adam will find some awesome way to complain about it. It's hilarious. Unlike Jeremy though, he's a comedian (sorry Jeremy). He can tell a good joke and if really quick on his feet.

• Tanner seems to be part Stig, part Hammond.

It'll be nice actually having a Tiff-style guy on Top Gear again (okay, US TG). Yes, Jeremy and Hammond can drive just fine, but they're no Tiff or Jason. The Stig can set laptimes, but he can't comment as well on how the thing drives. Based on what you guys have said about his Speed shows (no cable, remember?), he also presents like Tiff and Jason. :lol: But seriously, I'm still gonna give him a chance -- who knows, maybe he can learn quick to be better.

• The unknown -- James May clone?

I dunno if a James May clone would be good here or not. James is awesome and all on TG UK, but I dunno if it'd translate too well. Let me explain.

On his radio show, Adam's the driver and the captain of the show. Teresa (his "sidekick" of sorts) is... submissive I guess is a decent word. Basically she's there to pipe in from time to time, but Adam steers the show and is usually the only one talking. Danny Bonaduce used to be on the show as well, but he was a type-A personality (like Adam) and it just didn't work well on the radio as both would be steering. Not something you want on radio show with Adam's name on it and that has little concrete direction (Top Gear has a rough script of segments, who reviews what, etc.).

However, think of the Top Gear news or one of their bits for example where they built that kit car. James was right in there bossing Jeremy around, but so was Jeremy. There's no real main presenter of the show. It's not "Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear with some other 2 dudes" -- it's Top Gear. They're all equally going at each other during the news (remember the Christmas show with the Lamborghini glass balls?).

As it stands right now, I'm a bit afraid of Adam hogging too much camera time, or at least dialogue. To the best of my knowledge, Tanner is no comedian or big talker, so we need someone to keep Adam in check. Someone who's as quick witted, but isn't just some comedian off the street (that'd be retarded).

Basically a more talkative, less... shy? James May. Someone who has a sense of humor, isn't afraid to jab at Adam, and who knows their way around a car.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
If they want a copy of James May, they're gonna need a car savvy type (one who is more interested in style vs numbers).

-Robert

I have a strange feeling that the last presenter will be one that caters to the NASCAR/Red State demographic.
Honestly, even if that ends up being the case, I don't think that'd be the end of the world. Yes, NASCAR racing is boring as fuck to watch, but that doesn't mean the drivers are.

Tiff was so enthusiatic about spazcar, I was surpised that he had so many good things to say about it. The interview they did of the only British spazcar driver, I forgot his name... haha... he seemed like an interesting type to be on TV.

If they get a driver, then who will be captain slow??

-Robert

Well originally, I thought that Leno would be like May. They both love the old and the unusual and both are also bike guys.
They need to find someone who fits with this description.

I haven't seen Tim Allen outside of Home Improvement, but in that show he's sardonic, bumbling, and a bit stubborn, very much May qualities. IMO he's always been a strong candidate from the start, and he should take a shot at it.

I'm not sure its nececcary to have a "Clarkson type" a "hammond type" and a "may type"

If this show wants to be taken seriously as its own entity, and maybe even surpass top gear itself, it needs to have its own style, even if its 1% to the 99% top gear copy.

I'm not sure its nececcary to have a "Clarkson type" a "hammond type" and a "may type"

If this show wants to be taken seriously as its own entity, and maybe even surpass top gear itself, it needs to have its own style, even if its 1% to the 99% top gear copy.

Ah, but The Great Carolla has already said (in the last podcast that related to TG) that they're going to follow the original format as closely as possible, so the 3 presenter setup has a chance of surviving the transatlantic translation.

Of course the show will follow top gears lead, keep its segments, ect. But i dont think they need to go (or will bother going as far as,) "this one is clarkson, this one is hammond, and this one is may")

Of course the show will follow top gears lead, keep its segments, ect. But i dont think they need to go (or will bother going as far as,) "this one is clarkson, this one is hammond, and this one is may")
I think they've already broken that mold.

But you gotta admit the chemistry of the UK show is excellent.

I haven't seen Tim Allen outside of Home Improvement, but in that show he's sardonic, bumbling, and a bit stubborn, very much May qualities. IMO he's always been a strong candidate from the start, and he should take a shot at it.

I agree. That's a very good choice. Tim Allen is hilarious, and he is really embeded in cars/racing.

While I do think Tim Allen would be good, he doesn't really remind much of James May. But that's ok....I don't think the American trio needs to be exactly like the UK trio.

My money is on the third presenter being female. And I wouldn't mind it so much, if they were knowledgeable enough.

I honestly think they will not be heading in the direction of a female presenter. but Tanner Faust looks good, and Adam Corolla I know nothing about him so I'm not going to judge.

The third will be not be some average guy though because discovery channel tried creating their own top gear with regular guys and they failed epically.

Hopefully it will be a good show.

host

host

Tanner seems like an very bad host. His show on Speed is lackluster at best. I looks like one of those bad late 80's early 90's car videos. Bad music and it appears to have put together with "my first editing machine" He just doesn't seem to have the passion the Top Gear is know for. If you heard Adam talk about cars you know he a petrol head. My vote would have to go to Christopher Titus. Funny, crazy, and a true car nut. as for a third......I'm stumped right now.

I'm watching Tanner Faust on Speed TV right now. Never before have I been so bored watching a Porsche Carrera GT. This guy is really duller than paint.

Such the wrong choice for translating Top Gear to the USA.

Adam Carolla I think I can get behind. He's fun to watch, and he likes to have fun and screw with people.

Jay Leno would've been an awesome choice, but, tragically, he said no to TopGearUSA for probably what will turn out to be the right reasons.

One guy I do think would be perfect for Top Gear USA is Tim Allen (Y'know, from Home Improvement?) I saw him on Rides, and he loves his cars and he's got an enthusiastic personality, good sense of humour and people like watching him.

He totally embodies the Top Gear mantra, "Ambitious, but rubbish."

What about Hulk Hogan? hahaha Well in seriousness theres also

Sean Patrick Flanery perhaps.. but I think that they shouldn't pick someone just based on solely being a celebrity with a credible name. I think it would be refreshing to pick someone new whos dedicated to cars or at least his theme. For example James is more of a contemporary and polar opposite of the manly "racer" to give a contrast from an outside perspective; and not to mention comic relief. My bet is to try someone new and unheard of with talent. Although I do however agree with Tim Allen would be a good choice..

My money is on the third presenter being female.

I don't forsee that happening as I think it'd totally ruin the chemistry. I mean, Top Gear is all about 3 dudes having "guy days out" or whatever.