My 2004 Saturn ION Redline

XeroState

Car(s)
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
Well this is my car. I bought it brand new back in Feb. 05 and have made some modifications to it as money has become available [although that process has been put on hold since I'll require funds in my bank for when I go back to school and have no job].

Things I have done include:

*Antenna Mod [flip bracket to make the antenna run along the front fender, still have radio but no visible antenna]
*Cloud-Rider Stainless Steel grill [front and back]

*Added the OEM Boost Gauge/Ladder Tach from the Competition Package

*Kenwood KVT-617DVD player with Sony Xplod XS-V1642 speakers, the sub from the Cobalt Premium sound package [free from friend] and a Sony XM-1252GTR amp

*B&M Short Throw Shifter

*Ingalls Engine Torque Brace

*GM Peformance Stage 2 upgrade [smaller S/C pulley, smaller belt, larger injectors, raised RPM limiter and a new ECU calibration]

*K&N Typhoon CAI

*Strut Tower Bar

Now for some pictures [none are up to date sadly.. hoping to get some new ones soon]

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

^100% stock!!

And just for good measure, a picture of my car during winter

DSC00127.jpg

Last edited:
Suicide doors!

I have read that the one great thing about the car is the seats. True?

i can see why you modded the radio antenna... it looks old-skool and totally daft sticking straight up from the base of the windscreen

I don't get it why are Recaro seats good? My father had them in a Chevy Lumina. Hate to rain on the parade but why would you put all that crap in your car, just a waste of time.
Cold Air Intake you live in Canada all your air is cold, you cai is only going to suck up moisture.
All of that in car entertainment is never going to bring you happiness, and we will not be happy listening to the crap in your car from down the block "turn down your brown noise".
This is what gets me "OEM Boost Gauge/Ladder Tach from the Competition Package" You mean to tell me that you got the same plastic from the same Chinese factory for your boost gauge, WOW! Competition package to compete in what. What events do you compete in who can look the bigger tool.

Recaro's are standard on the RedLine???

Still not a bad car would be a sleeper if it had standard Ion body work.

I don't get it why are Recaro seats good? My father had them in a Chevy Lumina. Hate to rain on the parade but why would you put all that crap in your car, just a waste of time.
Cold Air Intake you live in Canada all your air is cold, you cai is only going to suck up moisture.
All of that in car entertainment is never going to bring you happiness, and we will not be happy listening to the crap in your car from down the block "turn down your brown noise".
This is what gets me "OEM Boost Gauge/Ladder Tach from the Competition Package" You mean to tell me that you got the same plastic from the same Chinese factory for your boost gauge, WOW! Competition package to compete in what. What events do you compete in who can look the bigger tool.

:blink: ohhh....kaaaaay....he is just showing pictures of his car. And the Recaro seats came standard.

I've always thought this was the one Saturn that looked pretty decent. How does it drive?

As for the whiners...of course there's no purpose to ANY mods. As greenpeace points out, we COULD do everything with a bicycle. But who would want to?

Steve

Here's hoping the Redline is a 100% completely different car than the normal one.

very nice car

and a sleeper at first glance too

how much power do you think its putting out? around 240 or more id guess

Thanks, and yes Prost the suspension, drive train, etc is all different from the standard model.

And Momentum57, seats are standard, in summer the temp here gets to 40-50C [or 104-122F if you use that]. CAI can suck up moisture no matter where you live, and Canada isn't just a frozen tundra year round. I got the OEM gauge because of the unique ladder tach plus it comes with a factory gauge matched Autometer gauge. And how do you know what I listen too or how loud I listen to it? And actually, with out my enterainment stuff my 35hr in 2 day drive to Monteal would've been very boring, so yes, it did bring me 'happiness'.

Night Hawk, it SHOULD be putting out around 230-245 based on others [and about 205-215 lbsft], but the one dyno shop here charges way too much to justify going..lol

The seats are good, I mean I've sat in better but for a stock seat, they are good. Comfortable, supportive [though I have heard that 'larger' people find them too small]. The rear doors are handy as you don't have to get out of the car to let someone into the back [lazyiness really]. And the car is really only a sleeper till I give it some gas, as the K&N sort of allows full volume of the S/C to be heard.

Different is good. I'm always down with attainable performance cars. Any plans on working on the suspension? Are they supported in the aftermarket well? Any tuner pics? I dont get to seem many of those around here.

I would like to work on the suspension, but harsh winters and only 5-6 months of summer make it hard to justify [now if I had a winter car.. I can dream].

For the first couple years the aftermarket was, well, lame. Once the Cobalt came on the scene the doors opened a lot more doors [with the exception of suspension and intakes, slight differences (1 exhaust hanger too).. and obviously body panels]. But now that the drivetrain is gone from GM's lineup the market is beginning to die. Although Harrop released Eaton's new TVS supercharger swap for our engines.

And what do you mean by tuner pics? Like heavily modded ones? I'm sure I can find some..lol

Nice looken redline! I would tell you to put it on eibachs but I dont think that is really a smart thing for you to do based on where you live. Nice work!

Wasn't the Ion Redline slightly faster than the same year Cobalt SS? I'm surprised I don't see too many around.

^
Techinically, yes. But the difference is so small that the driver decides which is faster, so it's pretty much a tie.

And ya 07, I'd love to. Maybe one day if I get a large garage and buy a winter car I will [if I still have this car...lol], but until then, I just can't convince myself to do it.

^
Techinically, yes. But the difference is so small that the driver decides which is faster, so it's pretty much a tie.

And ya 07, I'd love to. Maybe one day if I get a large garage and buy a winter car I will [if I still have this car...lol], but until then, I just can't convince myself to do it.

Stock for stock how does a RL compare to a 99-04 Mustang GT? Reason i ask is that I ran a GT the other day and was right at his door 70-105 then he started to pull me. The GT had exhaust, but that makes very minimal performance gains on the stang.