Cobalt vs 'G6 vs Aveo

Cobalt vs 'G6 vs Aveo

• Total voters

wooflepoof

WoofleDay
Car(s)
Genesis Sedan 3.8
My roommate had an '05 Cavalier but the dealership she bought it from didn't inform her of a few problems. she can't sue cuz she can't afford a lawyer so shes in the market for a new car. She says she'd buy a corolla but they're 3k more expensive and 'you can't be sure it'll be more reliable' so these are the cars she's been looking at. All are base models. My money goes on the new G6 though its not the best idea to buy a ca at this stage she doesn't have much choice she HAS to get rid of her car because the bearings are wearing out and the car could pack up soon. Her dad says she should fix the car(700) and make a sound decision about a new one later. So what do y'all think?

All are base models, defend ur answer or solution if you can

Since all of these cars are thoroughly depressing and eye-wateringly painful, I'd go with the G6 as it's slightly less hemorrhage-shaped than the rest.

+1 for Dad's decision.

If she buys one of these cars, she'll have to live with it for the next 5 years whilst she pays it off. I know I'm not like everyone else, but I'd rather be liquefied by a bear than drive any of them for a week, never mind 5 years.

If she's a student, he best bet is to go halves on the repair costs with dad and drive it until graduation. An '05 should have SOME resale value, I'd hope, by that time, but the important thing is that at graduation you will be at an age where insurance is cheaper. So she'll save a lot of money there. That's what I did, and I ended up in my S60 R because I saved and waited, instead of breaking down earlier and by a new GTI. I think I made out better waiting.

On a side note, I'll never understand the rationale of some people. She won't buy a Toyota because "you can't be sure it'll be more reliable", and yet she's contemplating TWO cars from the same company that sold her her THREE year old car that's falling apart now. :dunno:

The base Cobalt is a good 4 or 5 grand less than the base G6. And the Aveo is one of the worst cars on sale today. So my vote goes to the Cobalt.

But is she trying to sell the Cavalier and buy a new car with that money?

$700 isn't too bad for a repair and it sure would beat financing a new car. Fix it and see how it goes. If it is still giving her problems later, then she can start looking into a new car. What kind of dealer did she buy it from? I would think that a warranty would still apply to an 05 model.

^3 month warranty, found out it was broken on the 4th month. Like i said, we'd have a case but she can't afford missing work and what have you to hire an attourney

$700 isn't too bad for a repair and it sure would beat financing a new car. Fix it and see how it goes. If it is still giving her problems later, then she can start looking into a new car. What kind of dealer did she buy it from? I would think that a warranty would still apply to an 05 model.

Yea this makes more sense, she is going to have to spend at a lot more money on a new car than on the repair. On the other hand, if the dealer didn't tell her about one problem then there could be more that she is not aware of.

What I'm confused about is she originally bought a 3 year old Cavalier, but is willing to spend another 15 grand on top of the trade in value to buy a new car?

Go to a proper mechanic and have them do an inspection. I am pretty sure the cost to fix whatever is wrong with the car will be well below the cost of a new one.

I've got to go with Dad on this one. Fix the car, get a new one later. And come on guys, the G6 isn't bad. The Cobalt is at least better than the Cavalier it would be replacing :lol:.

I would go for the G6, mainly because that is the only of the three cars that managed to keep up with me going 95 on the highway.

I would go and get a public defender and sue.

I'd just spend the $700 and fix the Cavalier. The moral is to never buy a J-body vehicle.....ever.