[18x08] November 26th, 2010

[18x08] November 26th, 2010

• Total voters
I liked Robert Luellen (spelling is probably off there) review of the leaf, its not a car I am excited about but the review was done well.

The Leaf review was good, also, done in Lisbon, Portugal. :D The Volvo S60 looks so dull. Don't like the bloated overall design. And no shots of the interior?

I agree, the guy that reviewed the Leaf (dont know whats his name either) was very good. Better than Tom,that fruity guy and all the other guys so far (excluding Tiff, Plato and Johny) put together. No trying to be witty or funny and fake like Tom and others with all those lame jokes and acting to be someone they are not (he nicely said I am not Tiff so no drifting and reviewed it on his terms. Something 80% of presenters are not capable of doing)
Vicki I still dont like. Neither visually or character wise nor the reviews where she exaggerates things and squeals along.
Platos review was interesting. I often think he also complains too much but seriously, for that much money that thing looked half built. Either the company is that broke or that greedy.

Last edited:
Great Leaf review, but, let's face it, how many other people thought that, when at the recharge station, Robert was going to plug the cord into his recharge socket? Twenty years of Kryten is pretty difficult to mentally overcome.

I also found the Leaf review to be much more interesting than I expected. Robert Llewelyn did a good job. I hope to see more of him in future episodes. Didn't care for the Volvo that much. As for the Westfield, it looked like crap. ?25,000 for that? It was also nice seeing the Camaro/Challenger shootout since both cars were built in Ontario :D 7/10 overall.

Last edited:
Great Leaf review, but, let's face it, how many other people thought that, when at the recharge station, Robert was going to plug the cord into his recharge socket? Twenty years of Kryten is pretty difficult to mentally overcome.

Yes, the image of Krytie's belly mounted hose/cable does come to mind :D

He did do good review, but he's not unpractised in similar documentary type roles - I'm about to watch one of his 'How Do They Do It?' shows. I also liked Scrapheap Challenge while he was a co-host. Despite Robert's enthusiasm, I can't say I like electric cars yet though. Even the 'quick' 20 minute 'refuel' at a roadside facility is still too long when it only gets you maybe another 100 miles. And imagine the queues! They're long enough at times now with infrequent yet quicker top ups.

Typical daily car use might only be 30 miles, but if you've been rather busy and forget to plug it in after 3 days you'll be catching a cab to work the next day. And even if you do find it acceptable for daily use, come the family holiday or weekend away, you'll probably be leaving the car at home if you're going any distance. Seems a big investment with too many compromises at present. Once battery technology develops, recharge times drop along with increasing roadside outlets, then maybe I'll take them a little more seriously.

Nissan adding an audible low speed hum to alert pedestrians is a novel idea - well, on a car. Ten year old boys have been doing something similar for decades by taping Paddle Pop sticks to their front forks of their pushbikes. And like adding custom ringtones to your phone, I can see the boy racers of the future downloading some files, jailbreaking the circuitry and adding enormous external speakers to rear of their 2025 Nissan Leaf 2 door, and then swapping the Nissan buzz for the 120db roar of a 500hp V8 or a hot WRX with a tomato can exhaust.

Another solid installment. No feel of being rushed. Looks like they are starting to get a feel for how to best utilize their new time format and it's getting better and better as they become more comfortable with it.

I liked the ep, but it really should have been Jonny in the Nissan Leaf. The show feels incomplete now without one of his segments. Great job by Tiff and Jason as well.

7/10

The segments are pretty evenly paced. I also agree the Leaf review is really good. I think FG should leave the boring and economy car reviews to this guy. The Volvo S60 looks pretty good imo, even though it can't handle like a 3 series, if there's an R version I think it'll be a lot more competitive.

I think Fifth Gear have had the balance pretty well right with this latest series, they no longer seem to be trying to out top gear "Top Gear", they're a different type of motor show and they should be happy to be different. I liked Robert Llewellyn's Leaf review and I too was half expecting him to plug the charger into his "Kryton's" Groinal Socket.:D

Well, i am disappointed in FG for 2010....long competition promo's, it looks like ITV are doing it on the Cheap..

Whilst I'd agree that Fifth Gear went downhill last year, that was only because unfortunately they could not afford the one hour slot; I believe if they were still able to afford the hour-long slot, it would still be as good a programme. Oh and btw, it is commissioned and broadcast on Channel Five in the UK, not ITV, and Channel Five has no control over the budget, advertising slots on the channel control what Fifth Gear is able to afford to film and broadcast. Sadly the programme's competition is still necessary as this also helps to bring in substantial revenue for the programme.