[19x06] May 20th, 2011

[19x06] May 20th, 2011

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Just watched it. It felt really Top Gear-ish and not in a good way.

Aston Martin. Quite ok but it's just another supercar review ("Look at that slide" "It's a completly different animal when I turn it into this mode") and just another supercar (quite happy Porsche is not the only one making a million billion versions of one car anymore).
The cutting the cucumber while drifting reminded me of hitting the apple on the apex from TG. Also, did Vick or the chef like the car? Was it only good at drifting? I though Fifth Gear was the serious show?
The Lexus review was just stupid. It felt really acted.
The Hovercraft challenge wasn't really all that fun to watch and reminded me of that TG episode from (I think) season 5, where they test all those buggy's and quads and so on (only this film was much worse then the TG one).

I'm going to be nice and give it a 5.

Ugh. Not very good.

Felt more like Fifth Gear of ~5 series ago. The "teach a celebrity" segments are never entertaining, and Tiff and Jason on the hovercrafts provided zero entertainment.

I'm going to pretend like this episode never happened.

Yeah, it was a bit of a flop. I liked the Aston review, but I knew Jason wouldn't like the car, he's always had a hard on for 911 Turbos and even bought one himself iirc. He at least seemed to understand the car though. Sexy styling, god like exhaust note, etc.

The rest of the show was boring. The team test felt like it was thrown together in 10 minutes one day and the hover crafts felt rushed, just the little obstacle course and they were done. And I agree with Phila, the celebrity segments are never entertaining, even the ones on TopGear tend to be snooze fests.

Vicki squealing, Jason morphing into Jeremy with Hamster's biases, the sleep-inducing hovercraft sequences...the only good thing about this episode was relative lack of the Spaz, although he did have the opportunity to reinforce his spaz-ness with those yellow clown shoes.

Yeah, this one didn't happen. Move on, nothing to see here...

See, I think part of the problem was the lack of Jonny. When he is doing a proper review and not some segment about a car a guy built in a garage or sending him off to some event, he is probably their strongest presenter.

Tiff and Jason only really review the supercars or super exclusive cars, so when they do review a more "normal" car they don't have the right attitude towards it. Vicki just squeals the whole time and makes irritating comments constantly trying to remind us that she is in fact a woman.

Jonny still seems like he appreciates being given the opportunity to review a car, no matter how bland or special it is.

I agree with gtrNL, this episode felt too much like a Top Gear copy.

This one was really bad. Like other have said it, celebrity tests are boring, hovercraft segment was very stupid, maybe if they raced head to head and a real circuit it would have been better. The Vantage S report confirms why british car shows cannot be taken seriously the car was in every way inferior to the 911 but somehow it was better because it is British.

BTW, don't you feel Aston mArtin became a Porsche wannabe? Release a million versions of the same car and now they want to release their Lagonda SUV. However their cars are always a lot slower than Porsches and while Porsche will have the 918 hybrid, Aston Martin has the Cygnet.

Liked the Aston and the group test and I didn't much care for the rest of the segments. These celebrity segments are rarely entertaining to watch. The hovercrafts segment was decent, at least they tried their best on the course, unlike Top Gear, which would deliberately try to act stupid to score some cheap laughs.

Any ep with a chef is a failure. Hover crafts should have been left on the cutting room floor. Jason made the Vantage S boring.

0/10

Jonny still seems like he appreciates being given the opportunity to review a car, no matter how bland or special it is.

I totally agree on this one!

Johny stills gives an effort of giving the viewers a proper review, hiting some good Pro's & Con's on the vehicle, no matter it's a Pagani Zonda or a Toyota Prius.

The Lexus review should be a lot more focused in some details that just regular cars dont have! If the car is diferent, then the presenters should be able to adapt their way of making a review.

This episode was a complete bullcrap end of the line here!

I'd pick a 911 above the Aston for sure. I mean, it's a good looking car, but a 911 turbo is something else.

The Lexus review was rubbish. There are better car review shows on YouTube that only have a fraction of the FG budget...

That SLS looks so good imo. Too bad they didn't spend more time talking about it though.

The aston review was OK. The Lexus review was superficial (and deserved much more attention IMO ... and I'm not saying that I even like the car) .... but TV cooks? Who gives a shit? The only time I am interested in cucumbers and TV cooks, is when they come together to make me a sandwich. And two poofters in a hovercraft FFS? Might have been interesting 50 years ago, but today ... :yawn:

The more 5th gear tries to be like Top Gear, the worse it is.