[19x08] June 24th, 2011

[19x08] June 24th, 2011

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Quite liked it. For all the hype of the supercar segment, I'm left a little disappointed. Their short-ass timeslot is making every segment so short.

Looks like they were testing the McLaren and the Ferrari at Dunsfold. Is FG sharing the TG facility and track?

I spotted that too, blkhks - it's Dunsfold. :D But FG hasn't been extremely consistent with their test tracks over the years... and it's not like TG owns the place ... they only rent it, too...
Probably worth keeping an eye out for the upcoming TG section on the McLaren (number plate, weather conditions etc) ... maybe they were even filming theirs on the same day ;)

Edit: It's quite interesting that FG rather contradicts Evo Magazine's impressions in the same comparison. Their driver says the McLaren is much more stable and you have to work less hard to be fast compared to the 458. Evo does agree on the different gearshifts and engine characteristics, though. Evo was probably going for serious lap times on their circuit and not fooling around as much...

Last edited:
Two supercars, a great segment from Vicki, Tiff not acting like a total queen, Jason making coherent contributions and getting air in a Merc, and a near-total lack of the Spaz. This is what Fifth Gear should be. Bravo, folks. I knew you still had it in you.

I thought this was a very good episode. Maybe the best of the series.

Good mini-shootout and I liked they didn't hide/cover-up their disappointment with the MP4-12C vs 458.

What I've noticed with the team tests...when they get it right, it's really good (like the Merc tonight). However, when they blow it, it stinks. (Focus, Lexus HS250H?)

Even Vicki's segments were good. No shrieking just bang bang bang, done.

I am left disappointed with the McLaren, but the Ferrari is still the best for now. You can see in the film that both tiff and Jason were having trouble keeping the McLaren on pace. But we will have to compare the TG test.

normally I don't post on this forum, I'm just a reader, but felt compelled to say that I was quite disappointed with the stunt segment...Couldn't they have at least parked the 370Z out of shot when the Mondeo rolled!? :rolleyes:

I just got finished watching (being bored) of this episode and out of my great heart managed a 4/10. Not to impressed. Overall I was never excited in any segment, I was waiting for the next to be the one and it never delivered.

What the shit was that ''stunt'' all about?!! Oh noes, danger, danger, roll, death, drama. And then a Mondeo falls over on it's roof at a snails pace. Sure is Hollywood.

Another great comparison in this episode. Only watched the MP4-12C vs. 458 so far, but these comparisons that nobody else has done/can do are really making Fifth Gear something I look forward to watching.

for a car that has as much hype behind it, couldn't they have spent a little more time looking at it? they didn't even mention the ridiculous suspension setup that Chris Harris was blown away by, not even a drag race for the child in all of us. Classic Fifth Gear....just makes us want Top Gear that much more

No more stunts, FG. The whole ep should have been MP4 vs 458. And we need more Jonny! 7/10

I enjoyed the McLaren vs Ferrari segment, but it was too short for such an important test, they should have devoted more time to it.

The team test wasn't bad this time around, but the stunt segment was a bit boring.

for a car that has as much hype behind it, couldn't they have spent a little more time looking at it? they didn't even mention the ridiculous suspension setup that Chris Harris was blown away by, not even a drag race for the child in all of us. Classic Fifth Gear....just makes us want Top Gear that much more

Got a link to the Chris Harris review?

Except for the McLaren vs Ferrari segment it was disappointing. Especially Vicky did not shine :(

Probably worth keeping an eye out for the upcoming TG section on the McLaren (number plate, weather conditions etc) ... maybe they were even filming theirs on the same day ;)

Guess we'll find out July 3rd. According to scheduling on BBC2's website, the second episode of series 17 has Jezzer taking the McLaren on the track.

I enjoyed the Ferarri v. Maclaren test at Dunsfold and the CLS team test. The rest of it was meh. I agree, no more stunts. 7/10

That McLaren/Ferrari segment really left you wanting. I was quite shocked by their reaction, but would have liked more info and review of it (me luvs 458). The stunt segment was useless, should have really just cut it, like TG do all the time.

Please stop showing stunts, they're really boring. I stopped watching after the CLS test.