[20x04] November 4th, 2011

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Good News: 458 Spyder. Enough said.
Bad News: Vicki's having yet another crisis. Is there a car that costs six figures that doesn't plunge her into orgasmic joy?

Bad News: Team Test still exists.
Worse News: A 1) diesel 2) 3-cylinder 3) Kia Rio. I know that 5G is the "consumer car" show, but why bother having them tell us it's crap? The words "Kia Rio" alone should do that.

Good News: I'm really interested in the DS5. It's the kind of car that I'd love to own, but I'm in the US, so I won't get a sniff of it.
Bad News: The Spaz is driving it.
Mitigating News: The only time I can stand the Spaz is when he's doing something with inexpensive cars, and this is about at the price limit of my tolerance of him.

So, definitely a mixed bag.

It's pretty good ep. Vicki's scream doesn't seem too annoying in this review. The 458 Sypder does look very good.

I miss the Tiff vs Jason dogfights, is Jason permanently fired from the show? In those wet conditions, the RS5 really has an unfair advantage.

Team test = boring.

The DS5 review is really good, but with Citroen's quality track record, I wouldn't buy a car that's so full of tech, something will go wrong everyday.

Loved the 458 segment...I dont know why you guys are so hard on Vicki, its kinda cool to see how a woman reacts to the exact same things we as petrolheads love.

Team Test: Meh

DS5: Wow what a car! Love to have that in North America...Johnny did a pretty good job with it.

RS5 vs C63 would have been better if it was Tiff vs Potato.

I just watched 20x03 and this ep back-to-back. I can't begin to describe how much better Vicki's review of the 458 Spyder was than Tiff's abysmal Aventador film. I was smiling the whole time watching Vicki throw that car into the corners and running out first gear in between them. She also gave a lot of information that I felt was missing in the Aventador review.

Episode gets 8/10 just for the first five minutes alone.

As usual for me, the best part was the dog-fight. It's just too bad that it wasn't Tiff vs. Jason. By why not Tiff vs. Vicki? It makes the lap-times less comparable, but they never really are anyway, and in this case the weather heavily influenced the outcome. The thing that makes dog-fights with two drivers/presenters better is that you get double the insight and the chance for much more exciting footage.

I'm REALLY getting tired of Vicki's screeching. I used to really enjoy her segments, but lately all she's done is test wildly expensive cars and just make noises instead of using actual words.

The team test was a tad boring and a tad more silly, as usual. What did they expect from a 3cly Kia?

Johnny's segment was informative, and I prefer his new car reviews to random oddity segments, but I'm not really fond of him. He seems to have a singular perspective that I can't relate to. Then again, I guess it's good to have a different view on things compared to the other hosts, so I can't fault the show for it.

I'd say 6/10.

The 458 is an amazing car but I would prefer someone else to do the test. Vicki is just too subjective and then theres all the screeching and out of place laughing...I really do not care for Vicki much. Actually I can barely stand her and am just amazed as to how she actually got an even bigger spot in the show than before. She just comes off fake with all the constant jolliness and so annoying.

The shootout was interesting, I only miss Plato so Tiff would have someone to go head to head with but I wish theyd find him someone else because he has ZERO chemistry with Plato. Other than that I love shootouts like that though I would prefer more video of those shadow car comparison so they would show for example how much faster the rs5 was out of the corner due to the 4x4 and stuff like that.

the team test was plain dumb. The Kia is not a bad car at all. You cannot test such a car the way they did. That is simply retarded, the car is meant for completely different type of people and circumstances.

DS5. Very interesting and kewl car. Man Id play with all the gadgets and options for weeks, looks like so much fun. But way too expensive.

All in all more Tiff and Johnny. They have great chemistry working and joking together. Fifth Gear would be so much better if they would only stick with those two and work from there. Maybe hire someone fun to come in now and then to go against Tiff and a cute girl/woman just for another opinion in team tests and such. Its amazing for how long this show has been on now and they still havent really figured out whats wrong and keep changing and changing and ch...while the main problems remain (IMO at least).

Last edited:
I don't know why so many people complain about VBH getting excited and obviously enjoying herself while driving supercars like the 458 Spyder, I'm sure most normal people would make excited noises if they were ever lucky enough to be allowed to drive a car like that.
The only way the Kia is going to reach the claimed fuel economy figures is by driving long distances on flat highways, so complaining that it couldn't reach them while driving around a test track full of corners and hills with three people on board is hardly fair.
I miss Plato too but if he'd been cut from the show would they still have his face and silhouette in the intro to the show and team test?
I like the Citroen and would love to see it here in Australia.

I thought this was a pretty good episode. Even the team test was OK, although they did lie about their attempt to achieve the stated fuel economy ... they said they tried to achieve it, but it looked more like they tried not to achieve it.

RS5 vs C63 would have been better if it was Tiff vs Potato.

I disagree. Tiff vs Potato would've turned that segment into 3 stupid subjective "challenges" instead of it being a nice clean controlled experiment.

I'm not really missing Potato at all. The team tests are better without him and the single driver/presenter shoot-outs are way better than some competition to see who can wreck their tyres the quickest.