Another day, another loss of important data in GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D-Fence

MoD computer hard drive missing

An investigation is under way into the disappearance of a computer hard drive which could contain the details of about 100,000 Armed Forces personnel.

The hard drive was being held by EDS, which is the Ministry of Defence's main IT contractor.

The MoD said it was told the drive was missing on Wednesday following a priority audit carried out by EDS.

It is thought to contain more than 1.5m pieces of information, including the details of 600,000 potential recruits.

There may also be some personal information including bank and driving licence details, passport numbers, addresses, dates of birth and telephone numbers.

Investigation

MoD police are investigating the drive's whereabouts, but it is not yet known whether or not it was stolen.

For very obvious personal and national security reasons the MoD must ensure that it handles the records of our Armed Forces personnel with the highest care
Liam Fox
Shadow defence secretary

A ministry spokesperson described it as a "potential" loss of data.

It is understood the drive was not encrypted.

EDS said in a statement that it was "unable to account for a removable hard drive that was held in a secure location at our facility in Hook" - a reference to the company's premises near Basingstoke, Hants.

The company added: "There is no evidence that security at the site has been breached."

Shadow defence secretary Liam Fox said the latest loss showed the government's attitude to military personnel data was "reckless".

"The MoD has a very poor record on keeping sensitive and classified data secure. This latest scandal is yet another example of poor operational security within the department.

"For very obvious personal and national security reasons the MoD must ensure that it handles the records of our Armed Forces personnel with the highest care.

"Once again, the loss of so much confidential information shows the reckless approach this government takes with our personal information."

Fraudster alert

The missing drive is the latest information security breach to hit the MoD.

In July officials revealed 658 MoD laptops had been stolen over the past four years and 26 portable memory sticks containing classified information had been either stolen or misplaced since January.

MP Nigel Evans, chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Identity Fraud, said: "This is yet another example of the serious implications the loss of personal data can have for the general public.

"The fact that it has been revealed during National Identity Fraud Prevention Week is ironic. The loss of such important information including bank details, passport numbers and dates of birth will be music to the ears of fraudsters everywhere.

"It is vital that there is a cultural change across the public sector with all professionals aware of their responsibility to protect and manage personal data."

Audit tests

A spokesman for the MoD said: "On 8 October we were informed by our contractor EDS that they were unable to account for a portable hard drive used in connection with the administration of Armed Forces personnel data.

"This came to light during a priority audit EDS are conducting to comply with the Cabinet Office data handling review. The MoD Police are investigating with EDS."

The hard drive was being used as part of a test and was attached to TAFMIS, the Armed Forces training and financial management information system.

The MoD are carrying out further tests to see if it can determine whether any data was transferred onto the missing hard drive.

:eek:

And why exactly would that be the case in a texas-based company, owned by hp, that works for the british ministry of defense?

Nice to know, too bad you never included any of that in the original post. Or even a link to the article.

I just assumed, since you are from Germany.

Couldn't be bothered to read the title? (GB = Great Britain) Or did you think "Liam Fox" and "Nigel Evans" were German names?

Don't worry guys when I read lost data I thought Great Britain :p

With my Python skillz, the British Government's ineptitude regarding data security, and its desire to keep track of EVERYTHING, I'll soon be able to make a website that ranks all British chicks by hotness and where the closest ~hot chick is. :D

Subscription fee: Only 100 Euro/month. I think it's dirt cheap, some britons pay that ammount of tax in a day.

Blue membership costs another 100/month adds a list of her favorite music and movies, and what kind of humour she responds to the most.

Red membership costs 200/month on top of THAT, and lets you filter them by profession and hair colour. It'll also list fighting skills and important social connections (you don't want to kidnap, I mean approach, the police chief's daughter).

I'm gonna make trillions. :D

Subscription fee: Only 100 Euro/month. I think it's dirt cheap, some britons pay that ammount of tax in a day.

Blue membership costs another 100/month adds a list of her favorite music and movies, and what kind of humour she responds to the most.

Red membership costs 200/month on top of THAT, and lets you filter them by profession and hair colour. It'll also list fighting skills and important social connections (you don't want to kidnap, I mean approach, the police chief's daughter).

I'm gonna make trillions. :D
Got to get the Banking Losses back somehow.

I read it as gigabyte too.

There may also be some personal information including bank and driving licence details, passport numbers, addresses, dates of birth and telephone numbers.
I like the way that's almost a side note in the article. They may have all my details for identity theft but the main thing I'm worried about is that they know I was going to join the armed forces. Oh noes!

In fairness it does say could contain so it isn't certainly missing. The problem is that it is so likely for things to go missing over here you can pretty much make up an article about data loss and it will turn out to be true. This is what happens when you go with contractors with the lowest bid, yay.

What does un-dee have to do with all this? :think:

Can't you see all his replies in this thread? :)

Your German pal left me this after I made the comment about you and Bruno, so I returned the favor.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/10/14/02.PNG

And then today I saw this:

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/10/14/01.PNG

Gee, I wonder what I'm going to do now? BTW, what happened to Vector's post in this thread? Did somebody delete it?

Last edited:
What's the problem here? :( I hate this kind of argument.

On topic:

Another day, another piece of proof of the increasing incompetence which cripples our world. I never thought some Brits could be more incompetent than some of the geezers that run our country.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.